Blood Pressure has cranked up

(Troy John) #1

Always been at around 120/85, even when on keto, which I am still on, but lately for the past 4 months, it has been going up around 148/90. Too high in my humble opinion. I am getting over 4000 of sodium from foods and supplementation and am taking 300 mg of magnesium supplementation which I have played with and works well at that level. I also have one slightly swollen ankle so am thinking I should reduce supplementing with sodium. I take about 50 gms of carbs average as that works for me, the 20 grams zapped me of energy. I dont drink coffee, only tea, drink enough water and dont eat much of junk foods. Exercise and do yoga along with meditation. So, what am I doing wrong? Anyone gone through this to suggest? Thank you!

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Has an added stressor come into your life recently, since this started? It is not always about the food with BP.

Mine only goes that high when I am at the drs office. So I keep a monitor at home and once a year show my dr. my numbers from it, No issues with BP when not at the dr’s. office.

It has gone way up when I have had s serious shock/stess inciden, like having to take my DH to the ER It went up high over the next few days as I dealt with those issues.

(Edith) #3

How is your potassium intake? I noticed my blood pressure creeping up after I was keto for a while. When I added come KCl to my salt supplementation, my BP went back to normal. Potassium deficiency can contribute to high blood pressure.

(Robin) #4

I would certainly try reducing your sodium intake first… low hanging fruit.

(Troy John) #5

Thank you. How much KCI are you taking now as supplementation?

(Jane) #6

Interesting - most of the foods considered high in potassium we don’t eat, such as fruit, root vegetables, beans, peas and milk.

I use heavy cream in my coffee but not very much. The article on high potassium foods mention meats so we get plenty of that but may not be enough potassium for some.

(Edith) #7

I used a 3:1 ratio of himalayan salt to KCl. That seems to work for me. I also don’t notice the taste of the KCl (of which I am not a fan) at that ratio.

(Troy John) #8

Thanks again. When you say 3:1 ratio, this is in supplement form only and not what you get from food, corrrect?

(Troy John) #9

Thanks, although I eat meat but it is not everyday.

(Troy John) #10

I am not too sure about that as I seem to be at the lower end for keto requirements. When I go lower than the 4k, I find I dont do that well. But thanks for your input.

(Edith) #11

Correct. This is for salt mix that I add to water for drinking.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

You can use Lo Salt, or whatever it’s called in your area. It’s a 50:50 blend of sodium chloride and potassium chloride, and it’s inexpensive.