Blood Panel Question

(Matt) #1

Hi everyone. I’ve been keto for 4 months. I just had a blood test. Cholesterol is 380, triglycerides 63, hdl 58, ldl 309. The other question I have is my b12 is really high at 1550. Does anyone have any insight on these numbers? I really appreciate it. Thank you

(Sheri Knauer) #2

Usually when someone starts eating a keto diet, it is suggested to not get blood work done for the for 6 months or even longer because the numbers can be really wonky. Especially if you are actively losing fat. Total cholesterol and ldl by themselves are not good indicators of any problems. Your main focus should be on Trigs, which yours look good, and HDL. Trigs should be less than 150, ideally under 100. I would wait another 4-6 months and get another cholesterol test. If your doctor seems concerned, tell him to write a script for you to get a more extensive Cholesterol panel, like the NMR, which will tell you what the actual particle size is.
As for the B12, I don’t have any insight for you. Again, I would get it retested in a few months along with maybe a liver panel, see what those numbers are as well.
If you want to learn more about low carb and cholesterol, just look up Dave Feldman, Ivor Cummings, Dr David Diamond, and Professor Ken Sikaris. They all have very informative blogs and youtube videos discussing cholesterol.

(Carl Keller) #3

As Sheri says, the HDL and Trigs do look good.

Here’s a pretty informative thread on this topic that echoes what she is saying:

My B12 levels are about that same high level, however, I am taking Nerve Support Formula which includes high doses of FAT SOLUBLE B12 and B6 vitamins.

Are you taking any kind of B12 supplements?

(Matt) #5

Lots of animal foods, eggs bacon cheese. I had supplemented a bit. I’ve taken standard process cataplex b, but it doesn’t say b12 on the label.

(Jane) #6

High B12 is of no concern. High B6 is another matter. Can cause nerve damage.