Blood glucose spike from scrambled eggs?

keto
bloodglucose

(Annett McDavid) #1

Hi,

I had a strange thing happen to me today. I’m my 2nd week into the Keto diet. My fasting blood glucose was 73 mg/dL when I got up. I had 2.5 scrambled eggs with cauliflower, about 25g of aged cheese on top and a fat bomb with cocao, coconut oil and 4 - 5 pecans in it. An hour later, my blood glucose had shot up to 107 mg/dL. I know that it wasn’t the cauliflower. I had it before with around the same amount (100g) and it was fine. It wasn’t the fay bomb either. The scrambled eggs are the only source.
My husband muscle-tested me later and it confirmed it that the eggs did the spike. My questions is why? Any ideas from your end?

Thank you :thinking:

(Doug) #2

107 an hour after eating (even ketogenically as you did so well) is not bad, Annett - heck, it’s great.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

What doug says.

(Bunny) #4

Dr. Berg explains this here, does not mean don’t eat egg whites but they are a lot higher on the glycemic and insulin index! Lots of choline in eggs and without choline on a ketogenic diet a fatty liver could ensue, eggs are an absolute must on keto!

Forget the Egg Whites - Eat the EGG YOLKS!

More egg videos:

1. The Egg Yolk and Butter Myth
  1. How Many Eggs Can I Eat Per Day?
  1. The Benefits of Egg Yolks on Your Brain
  1. The Egg Yolk Myth
  1. Why I Include Egg Yolks on My Ketogenic and Intermittent Fasting Plan
  1. Best Eggs for Ketosis | Cage Free Eggs vs. Pasture Raised Eggs: Thomas DeLauer

(Allie) #5

That’s really not something to be concerned about to be honest.

(Annett McDavid) #6

Bunny,

Thank you so much for your input, very helpful. Yes, I watch a lot of Dr. Berg’s videos, just not those. So, I will watch them. Again, very helpful.

Funny thing is that I’ve never had this reaction with boiled eggs… So, there must be a difference in how eggs react in our body when they are scrambled vs boiled.

(Annett McDavid) #7

Doug,

I’m in the beginning of the Keto road and on top of that I’m still recovering from chronic fatigue syndrome. :wink: So, I didn’t really realize that even a blood glucose level of 107 mg/dL is great. I usually have something in the 90’s after eating. So, this is high for me…
But, based on your comment, I’ll even take a 107 with gratitude now. :smile:
Anyways, thank you for your feedback.

(charlie3) #8

I was listening to Dr Bikman Phd this morning. What I gathered from him is the insulin spike associated with protein depends on the amount of glucose in your system. If you are fat adapted and low carb protein will spike insulin much less.

(Annett McDavid) #9

Hu, that explains everything. Dr. Berg said in one of his videos that protein can spike glucose levels if we have too much. He mentioned that eating a salad before eating something rich in protein is a good approach. Now I know what he referred too. Thanks for your input, really helpful!

(Bob M) #10

It could be the morning effect and have nothing to do with eggs.

(Bob M) #11

Try eating them in the afternoon and see what happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I don’t see how that could possibly happen. Now, too much protein can spike your insulin level, that is known fact. But it takes twice as much protein as carbohydrate to get the same increase in insulin, and in the context of a low-carbohydrate/ketogenic diet, glucagon rises along with the insulin, so the insulin/glucagon ratio remains almost unchanged.

So either Berg actually meant insulin when he said glucose, or he is thinking of the outdated idea that protein automatically gets turned into glucose, by a process known as “gluconeogenesis.” But we now know that gluconeogenesis happens only when needed; the body has other mechanisms for dealing with extra protein when glucose is not called for.

Hi Paul-

I always like your replies- very informative and supportive. I’m a big Phinney and Volek fan. I’ve cut back on my reading, after 1.5 years of Keto. I feel like too much protein does me in. Your comment about gluconeogenesis not being relevant was the first I’ve heard like that. I notice you often reference your comments. Anywhere you can send me to get more info or could you elaborate more about it.

Thanks! Like i said- i almost always find your comments, right on. :+1:

(Running from stupidity) #14

Consider the source.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

You’re right. I’m going to go right out and buy his special insulin-lowering protein shakes. . . . not! :rofl:

(Bob M) #16

My problem with eggs having such a high amount of blood sugar rise is that it has not happened to me when I was wearing my CGM. Here’s a comparison of one pound of ground beef and 1 can anchovies for lunch (left) with eggs, meat, and potatoes for breakfast (right).

That’s about a 38 point rise or so (5.7 to 7.8, multiplied by 18) for a breakfast with eggs and POTATOES. The previous week, I ate breakfast with 3 eggs, cheese, and meat, and my blood sugar barely moved at all.

Also, my blood sugar goes up in the morning no matter what I eat or drink or do not eat or drink:

So, unless you measure every 15 minutes (or have a CGM like me), you can’t really tell what’s going on.

(Bob M) #17

I guess that last graph didn’t have the dates on it. That includes Thanksgiving last year to mid-December, so the highs are caused my Thanksgiving meals and sugar and at least one real pizza at night. The low around 14:00-15:00 is probably the FreeStyle Libre monitor coming off and I had to replace it.