Blood Glucose of 106 to 133 while in Ketosis 1.8 to 3.4 Is This Normal?

high-glucose

(John Hernandez) #1

I have been monitoring my glucose and keton levels with a keto Mojo. My glucose was 90 to 99 while fasting and 100 to 130 after meals. for several months. All of a sudden a week ago My blood Glucose levels continually stays in the range of 106 to 130 even after meals. Its usually higher in the morning and gradually goes down as the day goes by but it is not really effected by any keto meals. So it does not spike much when i eat. I am strictly keto and follow my macros religiously. My ketones are usually within 1.8 to 3.4. I am concerned with the higher glucose levels. Can anyone offer some advice or shed some light on what could be causing this ? Is this normal ?

Low carb bashed again
(Edith) #2

There are some threads about “glucose sparing” on this forum. Search on that topic and you can see what’s been written and find some interesting links.

(Bob M) #3

Basically, only the bottom number has come up? I agree with Edith, then.

Dang, those are some impressive ketone numbers. I don’t get near those unless I fast 4+ days. Then as soon as I eat, they plummet.

(John Hernandez) #4

Thanks i was starting to freak out about the higher glucose levels

(John Hernandez) #5

Thanks i guess its been easier for me to maintain the high Ketone levels.It took me several months before i got anywhere above 1.5. Just checked in at 3.1

(Bob M) #6

Well, don’t be too concerned with the actual numbers, unless you have cancer or some other diagnosis where you want higher ketones. After 6 years of low carb, mine are rarely above 0.5 in the mornings. They go up during the day, but 1.0 is high for me, very high.

My values are below. I have two Keto Mojos, the left column after the time is for my home one and the column after that is my work one. The next column is breath ketones from Ketonix, then blood sugar from pin prick and Free Style Libre CGM. And I’m the lightest and strongest I’ve been over the 6 years, just went down in pants size and have to buy all new pants now.

(John Hernandez) #7

Thanks for sharing. Those are great numbers. it looks like after 6 years your body is very fat adapted. You are still producing ketones but your body is so good at using them for energy that you dont have allot of them free roaming in your bloodstream. Your glucose appears to range 93 and 104. i would feel more comfortable in that range. Do you have any suggestions on how i can get closer to your numbers?

(Joey) #8

First: I’m going to assume your are NOT a Type 1 diabetic.

Second: Based on your hbA1C figure of 7.5 that you’ve shared, it seems clear you’ve had elevated glucose (and are likely insulin resistant) for some time now.

As such, you’re probably now just becoming more aware and knowledgeable about what’s been going on quietly until now.

It should be said that having elevated glucose in the morning is very common … it’s the result of gluconeogenesis (i.e., our body’s production of endogenous glucose to kick start our metabolism since we were “fasting” while asleep; glucose production is a useful way to get our body in gear to start the day). It’s called the “dawn effect.”

As for just how high your blood glucose goes is a function of so many things it’s hard to generalize. Given your A1c level, you do need to bring down your body’s glucose levels to “safer” levels. But it’s really the insulin that matters. Without the commercial availability of a home insulin test kit, we test glucose as a proxy in an effort to try to infer what’s going on with our insulin.

Now here’s the good news:

Since your ketone levels indicate your low-carb eating habits are working extremely well, I would suggest you not worry about your glucose levels for now, even as you continue to track. If you’re insulin-resistant, then keeping the carbs low is the best way to correct that situation over time anyhow. In other words, keep up the great work! :+1:

Stay the course. Keep accurate records. Over time, you may well see the effects of becoming more insulin-sensitive (less resistant), such that your glucose levels begin to come down, ideally to 100 mg/dl and lower. This will then become evident in your future hbA1C results. The low carb eating you’ve embraced is the way to accomplish this safely and sustainably over time.

I invite anyone with deeper knowledge to help clarify if I’ve mischaracterized anything here.

Best wishes!

(Bob M) #9

Not really. I can tell you what I did. About 4.5 years ago, I started fasting. Started with skipping bfast, then having coffee with fat, then skipping lunch. Did that a few times per week, then built to skipping bfast and lunch a few times per week. Then started periodic long term fasting, longest 5.5 days (blood pressure went too low and I had to bail). Did many 3-4.5/5 day fasts. Also, basically stopped eating breakfast. I now usually eat two meals a day, sometimes one, and still try to get 36+ hour fasts in when I can.

But my blood sugar was not that high to begin with. These are official tests, yellow is after 4.5 days fasting:

I also have been lifting weights, and have gained maybe 10 pounds or so, while losing 55+ pounds.

(John Hernandez) #10

I was diagnosed T2D when my A1C came in at 7.5 early this year. i have been Keto ever since and am determined to rid myself of that diagnosis. Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate you taking time to answer my question

(John Hernandez) #11

Your numbers look really good. My dilemma may be due to my preexisting insulin resistance. Hopefully they will get better as i Keto On and continue with the intermittent fasting. I have fasted for 36 hours at the most but i want to try for 3 days soon. Thanks for your insight

(Joey) #12

Yes, in addition to IF (i.e., one or two meals a day, and even longer fasts so long as you’re able/fat-adapted), other ways to contribute to becoming more insulin-sensitive over time include: resistance exercise; reducing stress, and; taking steps to promote healthy sleep habits. Taken together with your carb restrictions, these measures pack a strong synergistic punch to getting your health back on track.

Based on your superb start on the diet side of things (often the hardest part for many folks), it seems pretty clear that you can do this! Please keep us posted on your progress :vulcan_salute:

(John Hernandez) #13

I am happy to inform you that for some reason my Glucose levels have begun to stabilize after a 36 hour fast. I have tried intermittent fasting for a while but this was definitely my longest fast ever. I felt great until about 18 to 20 hours in to my fast , i had a great rumbling in my stomach and felt kind of nauseous. I drank about 16 ounces of water and it went away in about 15 minutes. My glucose is ranging from 96 to 103 for the last few days. My ketones have been a steady 2.1 to 3.4 range. I am so relieved but i still cant explain the spike in glucose that i experienced and why it lasted for so long. I would like to know what caused it and if there is anyway to prevent that from happening. I think i will try a 48 hour fast in the next few weeks to see if i can get those glucose numbers lower. And eventually work my way up to a 3 day fasting period.

On another note: I haven’t felt this good in years. Lots of energy. I Love Keto. Never going back .

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

The spike could have been cause by some kind of stress. Anything going on (having a cold, emotional/mental stress, etc)?

(John Hernandez) #15

Yes i have been a little stressed but the glucose levels have lowered considerably. I am consistently between 94 and 100 for the last week

(Deborah Blau) #16

Weird, I know. But my A1C went up on Keto. I’ve been prediabetic for decades now. Never diabetic. I was determined to finally get to 5.4. Instead I went to 5.9 eating extremely low carb. I also had muscle cramping, chest pains, lightheadness - and osteoporosis. ( I am also a woman in her 60s.) But I was 20 pounds thinner, so I dealt with it. Nothing else had helped me with my weight.

BUT!! no matter how much salt I took, I could not hold electrolytes in my body. Not with such a low carb intake. Everything just washed through me. I believe that my electrolyte imbalance ended up affecting my glucose metabolism.

I am struggling with my weight again during this quarantine. And though I continue to eat low carb, relative to mainstream diets, I don’t think I could do true Keto for more than a few days. If I could get myself to fast again, that might actually work…

Good luck, all!