Blood Glucose going down after eating?

(Pam ) #1

Howdy All!

So yesterday and today I decided to try some new foods against blood glucose readings. In both cases I was up for 2 hours before taking a baseline reading. Ate the item I was testing, then tested BG at 30 min, 60 min and 120 min to see the outcome. Here are the numbers:

Yesterday - Base 73, new sugar-free coffee syrup, +30 BG 68, +60 BG 68, +120 BG 68

Today - Base 83, Aldi’s zero carb bread 2 slices, +30 BG 78, +60 BG 76, +120 BG 76

I guess I am wondering if I didn’t wait long enough after waking to start the testing process? I expected the BG to go up at least a little, not down. Thoughts?

(bulkbiker) #2

To be honest those readings could well be exactly the same depending on the accuracy of the meter. But it could also be that the eating caused an insulin release that pushed your blood sugar down slightly.
Depending on how deranged your metabolism is…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Your best/most useful procedure is to measure glucose multiple times daily for a couple of weeks - or get a CGM to do it for you. Graph the data. That will give you a pattern. Then when you try different foods you can see how it affects the pattern. Or don’t worry about it and just maintain sub-20 grams of carbs. You may find this of interest:

When you’re not diabetic or really insulin resistant our bodies are VERY efficient at controlling sugar levels. Sugar creeps up, you pulse some insulin and back down it goes. I spike myself after my workouts with 30g dextrose and even when checking it’s very hard to see it, sometimes I can catch it in time but most of the time I barely see more than a +/-10 difference.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Since all those readings in each set are within one another’s margin of error, they are all essentially the same reading, which means that neither your glucose nor you insulin was affected. Your measurement protocol seems fine and not in need of any tweaking.

(Pam ) #6

Am going to talk to my Doc this week about getting one. You have to have a prescription here in the US to getting a continuous monitor.

(Pam ) #7

Hopefully no too deranged anymore…been keto for 20 months but after brain surgery at the beginning of June I had a hard time staying in ketosis without a lot of fasting so have watching really carefully since.

You can buy them without a prescription, but then you’re paying to keep buying the sensors for them which can be pricey. With a script ins will pick it up.

(Pam ) #9

@Ifod14 where can I buy one without a script if doc says no?

My wife bought hers from an online medical supply, I can try to find out which one but I think it was a place she just googled up. She was working on being un-diagnosed so wanted it off the radar. I know if you go directly through Abbott or Dexcom they can do all the ins stuff on there end, she doesn’t use hers anymore but I think the sensors were like $25 or so each. I think if it goes through insurance it’s like $10! I was just on Abbotts page and it was saying because of Covid they’re approving more people than they typically do, I’d hop on that! If there’s one good thing that came from this disaster it’s stupid rules are being thrown out the window left and right!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

In my part of Connecticut, they are available at the chain drugstores.

(Pam ) #12

Ugh! Been researching and of course no one will ship to ND cuz the have some weird pharmacy laws. Hopefully my doc will write me a script.

That sucks, I’m into a lot of bio-hacker stuff and doing that for years I’ve found from others storys there’s a small amount of states that have some really weird laws with things like that, there’s a handful of states (huge surprise like NY and NJ) where you can’t even order your own lab tests when willing to pay for them. Can’t buy a syringe (but they’ll give them to drug addicts for free). You know… stuff that makes sense.