Biochemistry Education

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

Here is an interesting query: what is the best way to get a comprehensive, if basic, education regarding biochemistry? How does one go about this? Any suggested textbooks, resources, etc?

(joelchandler) #2

For a bit of mind blowing chemistry I like listening to “the daily lipid”. He’s not entirely Keto more paleo.

Khan academy has some biochemistry and certainly the podcast “nourish balance thrive” there are both good biochemistry and some useful recommendations for further study.

(Richard Morris) #3

Chris Masterjohn is well worth listening to

…however, we still need you to translate him into comprehensible terms.

(nicolerecine) #5

Just buy a basic textbook on amazon. It helps a TON.

(mwall) #6

biochem link one from a long googled list…

(mwall) #7

Harvard Free

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

I have many as I was originally a biochem major, but they are dated, sadly. I actually have a decent basic education. I’m looking to expand it to MA level, minus the research.

…and the physical chemistry. Bloody physical chemistry.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

I give you my heart-shaped bacon award!

(Carla) #10

If you are looking for an entry-level resource for Biochemistry, I’d suggest getting a good college-level Cell Biology textbook. Digest the information thoroughly. Learn the different cell macro-structures and what they do. Practice drawing the central metabolic cycles and pathways. Learn how enzymatic reactions work.

Cell metabolism is the basis for Biochemistry, and in my experience it is easier to visualize things when first approaching them from a biological perspective. Biochemistry is a Senior- and Graduate-level course. When I have a question, I usually refer back to my class notes before I’ll break out my textbooks. It’s tremendously easy to get lost in textbook details.

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

I do have a history of biochem classes (a few undergrad, one M1 I audited), but it’s been, well, 20 years. I actually think cell biology is a fantastic idea, since I can’t even remember enough to recall what I’ve forgotten, heh.

(Carla) #12

I’ll admit I’m biased - my undergrad was in Biology with a Chemistry minor. But OTOH, it only makes sense that if a person wants to understand a living system, you’d start out with Biology. I think it helped me tremendously when, after nearly a decade of working in a different field, I pursued a graduate food science and nutrition degree.

Oh, and I meant to mention: Don’t automatically assume your textbooks are too old to be useful. I’ve compared my textbooks, published 10 years apart. The basic information is the same. Which makes sense: good quality scientific research takes time, and biological systems don’t change. Evolution is a SLOWWWW process, lol.

(Meeping up the Science!) #13

Carla, halfway through my first biochem class, ghrelin was discovered, so… :wink:

MIT open university (free)

(joelchandler) #15

I hated analytical chemistry more… And environmental yuch :weary:

(Alix Hayden) #16

I’m now having flashbacks of structures and pathways and feedback loops on Post-it notes all over my walls and mirrors. bleh

If you go here, there’s lecture material from the Biology class I just took. It was really helpful after taking that how much more easily I could follow some of the podcasts.

https://learning.hccs.edu/faculty/a.nesterovitch/biol1406-7/lectures

I also found an earlier version of the textbook that someone uploaded into Google docs here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Ka5HSSrR_ydGxSUlFYZDFnaU0/edit

(Mark) #18

Lots of biochemistry and biology apps available find one that interests you and dive in

(Meeping up the Science!) #19

Thank you, @Vega!

(Mark) #20

There is also a book by Richard Feinman called The world turned upside down,he’s a biochemist and you could read his take on carbohydrate restriction,not sure if you’ve read that one,I’m glad you are asking the hard questions,I know keto is pretty simple to understand but I still enjoy the science also that’s why the podcast is so great,it’s nice interacting with like minded people