BG levels going up but in ketosis

I got a ketomojo about three weeks ago so that I could explore how different foods and carb levels affect my BG. I test my BG in the mornings (in addition to the fun meal experiments), spot check for blood ketones, and also test for BAC with a cheapie breathalyzer.

I had fasting/am BG levels in the low 70s and then they suddenly climbed to the high 80s and low 90s when I got a cold. (The plot is my am BG.) This kicked me out of ketosis but I went back in when the cold subsided, yet my BG continues to be high. So now my BG levels are high (for me) but I’m in ketosis. My Hbaic in the fall was 5.0 and I am not prediabetic and have a BMI of 23. I’m in maintanence mode, doing OMAD about 3-4x/wk. I’m having trouble learning what is expected of BG numbers for people that aren’t diabetic or what could explain the rise in my BG levels. I don’t think this is dawn phenomenon, given that I don’t have metabolic syndrome and am not losing weight as far as I can tell.

I am also curious to learn what others get for my BG curves before and after meals if they are OMAD. When I started taking readings, I’d often start with a low BG in the high 60s, then I’d get a rise into the 90s on a keto meal and then back down to the 70s.

(Apologies if this is a repeat kind of series of questions…I searched but didn’t find the answers for people that aren’t diabetic.)

(Bunny) #2

Thank you. I always use clean dry fingers. I’ve taken enough measurements and wit enough frequency to see a shift so I do not believe it is due to technical read variation.

(Bunny) #5

Those numbers look good!

(Bunny) #6

Gluconeogenesis: your body (liver) is manufacturing glucose when it needs it…

For somebody who is hypoglycemic they would want to keep it in the… e.g. in the 90 range according to weight by eating a little protein (instead of sugar) to get the glucagon going through out the day!

I wondered if this what was happening. But I’m surprised to see such a change, as I was in ketosis for most of these days. I was only out at the beginning of the high plateau (a week ago).

(Allie) #8

Your numbers are good, what makes you think you were kicked out of ketosis?

I tested by BAC and then it dropped to 0% so I checked with blood ketone strips and got “lo”. I was out for only 2 days yet my BG levels have remained high.

(Ken) #10

You’re fine. The real issue is that you were still in lipolysis, not merely in ketosis as ketone levels fluctuate. Both ketosis and hepatic gluconeogenesis are aspects of lipolysis, focusing merely on ketosis and obsessing over ketone levels is unscientifically nutty.

I am trying to understand if it is normal to see this rise in my glucose levels and if it has an explanation. That I’m in ketosis is just a part of the equation IMO and is not the emphasis of my measurements. I do not think I’m nutty, but I rather do enjoy nuts :slight_smile:

(Nicole Sawchuk) #12

I’m not diabetic, but I experience this as well every couple of months where my blood glucose levels rise. I only eat OMAD now. Before my meal, my BG will be in the low 70’s. By morning the next day, they are in the 90’s (sorry I don’t test after food). Lately they have been climbing to the point that even my pre-meal BG are in the 90’s. I am assume its just my body dumping old fat stores (even though I have plateaued in my weight loss and I am at my goal weight). I’ve tried playing around with food, fasting etc…but I have yet to put my finger on why it does that. I also suspect its the fact I eat supper at 6 pm (I’m in bed by 9 pm) and I get up at 4:30 am. I’ve considered switching the time I eat my meals, but I am just too busy at work during the day and I like eating supper with my family.

Sounds pretty similar to my experience! Thanks for the information!!!

(Ken) #14

I didn’t mean to imply that you were “nutty”, only that the overemphasis of ketone numbers within the wider framework of lipolytic nutrition is. It’s mainly because ketone levels are the only aspect of lipolysis that are easily testable, as it’s not easy to measure glucagon secretion or fatty acid usage, which are the major aspects of lipolysis. Hepatic gluconeogenesis and ketosis are secondary aspects.

If you’re in maintenance and following a fat based pattern, you have great latitude in your eating pattern as far as Carb intake, it takes switching to a Carb based pattern that causes chronic overcompensation of glycogen to cause any lipogenic adaptations that would result in fat regain. If you choose, you can eat more carbs on an intermittant basis if you want to.

This makes sense and is consistent with my ability to eat carbs - or so I’m learning. Thanks.

While I am not diabetic, I probably have more IR than you. Nevertheless, I’ll share my numbers. I alternate (not daily) between fasting and one meal. When fasting my BG is usually in the 60s, if the meal I eat is LC, my BG will rise into the 80s. The following morning (now fasting) it’s back into the 60s. My blood ketone levels drop by 0.5 - 1 mmol and rise again the following morning.

Thank you! I’ve been curious what numbers others are getting, and your BG numbers sound similar to mine.

(Allie) #18

Levels are up and down throughout the day. Sometimes I test as low as 0.01, especially after gym. Really no need to worry. In time you’ll be able to recognise when you’re in / out of ketosis without the need for testing.

Thank you! I’m less concerned about the ketosis, TBH - I should have made to clearer in my OP. I mentioned it because I thought if I just discussed glucose levels, then everyone would just comment that my glucose levels are higher because I’m not in ketosis.