Beta-Alanine and Other Supplements

Recently watched a series on Body Composition on Amazon Prime. Not Keto although he mentions it. It is hosted by a Phd in some type of Nutrition or Exercise Physiology from a University. He actively researches and sees patients. He has an episode on supplements, of the ones that showed any promise, he mentions caffeine, EGCG, Creatine and Beta-Alanine. The last two are for muscle development and strength.

Anyone have any experience with these other than caffeine which I am already addicted to? I am considering going back to exercising in addition to being stricter with my Keto diet. The tests were done with people eating a typical diet rather than Keto so I am wondering what effect this would have. I am in my mid 50s, overweight, with most likely insulin resistance, have gained weight during the quarantine and before that was stalled

Anyone research this or have any experience?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Exercise can’t hurt, and returning to keto will almost certainly help. A diet of real, whole foods should probably be sufficient without supplementation, unless you have reason to believe that you are deficient.

Agreed but I am curious about the Beta-Alanine. The lecturer mentioned a bunch of other things that did not help such as carnitine or rather that had not been proven effective in a clinical trial. This was something that had some science behind it and I was curious if anyone could confirm this. He also was very good about noting mistakes that limit certain research such as the short durations of some trials in the same way we on here will. Therefore while I do not agree with all his approaches, to the extent there is some potential efficacy, I am inclined to at least explore it

Creatine is the most proven supplement on the planet when it comes to muscle. Beta Alanine is in pretty much every pre-workout on the planet, it raises muscle carnosine, most like it for the tingles it gives them. Some times it gets over done.

You can’t go wrong with creatine, I wouldn’t bother with beta-alanine by itself though. Go back to working out and make sure you’re getting sufficient protein, you’ll be good!