Best supplements to take

newbies
supplements

(Kelly) #1

I was wondering what the best supplements are to take or not take…I looked through some of the posts and didnt really see an answer to what I am asking.

I take
Multivitamin - Centrum Silver (1 a day)
Collagen Complex Type I,II,III,V,X (3 capsule,s 1x a day)
Vitamin C (2 - 500mg tab, 1x a day)
Probiotic - 50 billion/13 strain (1 tab, 1x a day)
Vitamin D3 1000 IU (1tab, 1x a day)
Magnesium (Dr.s Best 100% chelated, 2 tabs, 1x a day)
Liquid Electrolytes (1/2tsp every 32oz)

Am I missing anything, should I not be taking something (for example I heard probiotics are not necessary with keto, I have also heard Vitamin C is a waste - because eating keto is enough) ???
What about Potassium, should I be taking that??? I would like to … but how much?
Is it a simple as getting a blood test to see what I am lacking in? I really dont think FP’s test for all vitamin deficiencies…???
Thoughts…

(Bob M) #2

How long have you been keto? I took a lot of stuff in the beginning, then have gradually cut down, to near zero, then back up again with the pandemic.

I take:

Vitamin D, daily unless I’m fasting or get in the sun;
Magnesium, sometimes; more recently;
That’s pretty much it.

I have dabbled with zinc and selenium since the pandemic, but they are too strong for me. I take them once a week.

I also take vitamin k – sometimes.

I do try to get plenty of salt. We also have a well water system with potassium pellets, so I’m probably getting some potassium there.

For potassium, you can use “no salt” and add that to water or however you choose to take it.

I will take extra potassium, sometimes Mg, and salt when fasting.

In the past, I have taken everything you’ve taken. I just don’t seem to need as much anymore.

(Kelly) #3

Hi Bob,
I have been Keto since the back end of May…I started to take these supplements because of Covid and trying to boost my system since I am prone to upper respiratory infections (smoker -quitting is next on my list of things to conquer) and have continued to do so.
I do notice that I will occasionally get leg cramps at night due to not drinking enough (I am forcing myself to drink at least 4- 8oz glasses a day and push for the 5th…that coming from drinking soda and no water at all -hate it, I have come a ways in the last month). When this happens, I make sure to drink the 5 glasses and push more if I can. I also occasionally get headaches…with that, I will put a tsp of salt into a glass of water and down it. Seems to do the trick.
So I know I am lacking in some areas…just makes me wonder if there is more to it ??? Am I doing the right things ???

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

I don’t think you need all that supplementation. Don’t need multivitamins, don’t need vitC, don’t need any ‘probiotics’, vitD - maybe if you’re house bound all the time. Electrolytes, probably. But the electrolytes are better consumed (and multiple times cheaper) by using a mix of sodium salt, potassium salt (No Salt) and epsom salt. Eating keto is healthy unlike eating SAD. Example: fiber. You need fiber when eating SAD to help flush out all the carb crap you eat. On keto you don’t eat all the carb crap so don’t need fiber.

(Bob M) #5

I think the data is confusing, but I think vitamin D is a good thing to take. And I’m NEVER in the sun. As in never.

@kel.on.keto Cramps are tough to diagnose. Start with more salt. You can also try magnesium (some people swear by it for cramps, though I have my doubts), and potassium. In that order.

Unlike Michael, I think after years of a poor diet, I think vitamins and minerals are useful. At some point, stop taking one or more of them and see what happens.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

If you’re concerned about protecting yourself from COVID, take a zinc supplement (picolinate is best) and see this;

I have pretty strong opinions about COVID and the response to it, but I won’t discuss them here. I will say, though, that eating ketogenically will make/maintain your metabolic health which is probably one of the most important factors to remain unaffected.

(Kelly) #7

I actually think I agree with both you and @amwassil
I feel that I am to ‘new’ to keto to not have any supplements…but also feel that eventually I wont need to take the list I am taking. I guess I would need to understand where that cut off would be for me :woman_shrugging:t3:
I will definitely up my salt, @ctviggen and look into the sodium salt, potassium salt and epsom salt, that you mentioned @amwassil
Unfortunately Zinc upsets my stomach. I read something about that and for the life of me cannot remember what it was about. I will take a look at the post you shared!
I want to protect myself from Covid, flu, common cold. Bottom line is I want to be healthy…keto healthy…I want to be super woman and feel like a million dollars with minimal health concerns!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

I agree that’s valid point, Bob. Upon occasion during my 7 decades eating SAD I tried various multi-vitamins and vitamin/mineral supplements, but I never thought they did anything. For many years I put great faith in megadoses of vitC to prevent illness and promote other good stuff. But that didn’t happen either. I still got sick just as often and never experienced any other noticeable benefits.

I have found that on keto, the sodium/potassium/magnesium salt mix does make a difference. We’ve discussed the night cramps issue elsewhere. I have also found that Absorbine and rubbing alcohol applied topically help eliminate my cramps.

I’ve gradually come to the conclusion that genetics plays a significant role in all this. Although I ate your standard SAD for 70+ years, I did no metabolic damage. Maybe by the age of 60+ I had developed mild insulin resistance. I gradually gained weight slowly during the decade of 60-70, about 20-25 pounds that I found somewhat uncomfortable. But nothing else. The first thing that happened on keto was that excess went away and took another 10-15 pounds with it. I suspect that I have a very active thyroid, not to the point of excessive, but to the point of being a fast burner.

EDIT: I think about my dad and wonder if he had eaten more fat and less carbs he would have been OK, instead of getting his thyroid nuked. Maybe eating something similar to keto he would just have been another fast burner.

There’s an awful lot of individual variation going on here.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

Initially back in Feb, my motivation was COVID. But as I learned more about who was actually getting whacked by COVID that shifted to flu/colds/non-descript illness moreso. So I intend to continue my daily ‘bitters’ tonic in the hopes that it will help me spend less time during the fall/winter/spring being sick. I have not had any illness since I started first taking diet tonic water and zinc back in Feb. For me that is very good news! Now, if I feel like I’m ‘under attack’ I just double my bitters dose for 3-4 days and it goes away.

The picolinate version of zinc may go down better than others for you. They come in capsules, so you could even just take a partial capsule 2 or 3 times per day to spread out the dose.

Finally, keto is the best thing you can do for yourself. It may take a while to fix whatever needs fixing, but you’ll be glad you did it. Best wishes.

(Kelly) #10

Thanks so much! I appreciate all of your input. I will look into the zinc picolinate version.
Yes, I agree that keto is the bet thing from all that I have read or heard about through podcasts. I guess my only regret is not knowing/starting keto sooner!
I will also read deeper into your bitters story, as I just glanced through it. Seems interesting!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

If you are eating mostly whole real foods, you shouldn’t have to supplement your diet, under normal circumstances. If you have reason to believe that your body has a problem with a particular micronutrient, however, then by all means take a supplement.

But I am a firm believer in the notion that if a diet requires everyone on it to take supplements, then something is wrong with that way of eating. I don’t take any supplements, and my last blood work was completely normal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Dr. Phinney points out in several of his lectures that keeping salt in the right range keeps the others better balanced—and calcium, as well. Not to say that we won’t still have to supplement, but that it should be easier when we pay attention to getting the right amount of salt.

(Kelly) #13

Thanks…makes sense!

(Kelly) #14

I will have to read up on him!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Here are some of his lectures, to get you started:

(Kelly) #16

Thanks so much!!!