Best Low-Carb Rant I Have Heard (2015 Dr. Robin Wilcourt)

wheat
conspiracy

Dr Robin Wilcourt tears apart the wheat, sugar and diabetes industries. I really enjoyed this presentation.

I was quite surprised about what he said at the end about protein powders. Does anyone know about this? He said all protein powders cause your liver to overwork and result in GNG because they are processed too quickly by your body… so EAT MEAT.

:sunflower:

(Megan) #2

I haven’t heard that about protein powders before. I would think that if it was within a healthy range of protein for your body it would be okay, but I really don’t know.

I enjoyed that video. Thank you. If his book is out, it might explain the protein powder thing.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

If he means whey protein powders, and he likely does, he is correct. They specifically spike insulin, and are absolutely detrimental to anyone with insulin resistance.
Avoid them!
They are NOT equivalent to meat protein!!!

Wow, didn’t know. I avoid whey protein for allergy reasons. I use a pea protein powder. He did say all protein powders though. Perhaps he is exaggerating or perhaps he knows something else that isn’t easy to find published.

There’s a website here that claims pea protein powder will reduce insulin spikes, as opposed to whey protein.

As much as I love Dr Wilcourt as an unparalleled low-carb ranter, I don’t trust him not to embellish facts.

(Crow T. Robot) #5

Loved it! Most of the talks we hear are so careful and measured, it’s so cool to hear someone just tell it like it is. He says he gets a bit of “pushback” from various sources. Oh, I bet he does! Just judging from the vitriol that gets spewed on social media, I can just imagine the abuse he takes. It sounds like he relishes it and gives as good as he gets, so good for him.

(Zack F) #6

Nora Gedgaudas has ranted pretty well before. I don’t have any clips handy though.

If you find a good low-carb rant please share it here!!!

(Dave) #8

A good presentation for people who are already on board with the LCHF approach (such as myself). But unfortunately such ranting is unlikely to sway anyone from the other side as it sounds a little like a madman screaming about the apocalypse in the streets. Interesting point on protein too - as someone who has taken protein supps for about 10 years, that has definitely put me off.

I concur. That’s why I labelled it a rant. People that are converted by angry rants also get converted again very quickly to the next rant. Still, for those of us who are converts already it’s refreshing to hear it all blurted out without a filter.

@Ddaavvoo Do you have any information about Pea Protein powder? My understanding is it’s vastly less processed than whey. It’s simply ground up split peas. I don’t know the separation technique but they people researching it say it has a completely different effect to whey.

(Dave) #10

I don’t know much about pea protein except from friends who have tried it. To me it just seems overpriced and unnecessary (especially given the point in the rant to just go eat a steak). Supplements are, by definition, just when you have a deficiency. For me, the hardest thing about the keto diet is keeping my protein levels low enough rather than not meeting them.

It’s cheaper than quality steak, and easier to consume while touring, jetsetting and backpacking, but each to their own. In many of the communities I’m involved with, eating meat all the time is not an option.

Touring, jet setting and backpacking? Sounds like you have an incredible life. Wow.

(Dave) #13

Yeah for the sake of ease it’s a good option. I am new to keto so still trying to figure out how to eat enough fat that isn’t attached to a large slab of steak/protein.

(Megan) #14

I really wanted to know what they were eating for the breakfast he kept referring to. I thought it was kind of funny how he seemed to be shaming them. Yeah, probably not the best way to win people over.

(eat more) #15

a conference so prob donuts, croissants, pastries…and fruit for the health nuts lol

(Megan) #16

I was thinking maybe bagels too.

I had croissants and pastries in mind.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #18

Doesn’t sound like a rant to me.

Just the plain unvarnished truth.

An honest rant then. :smiley:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #20

Having watched it all now, I have to qualify that slightly:

I think he made a little slip when he described triglycerides. He said they were 3 sugars on 1 fat.
Surely it’s 3 fats on a sugar (glycerol) backbone?
He was talking at speed, so I think it was just a slip of the tongue.