Best keto testers?

(Steven Lawson) #1

Just curios what the best ketosis testers are, I’m leaning towards a breathe one so I can use it many times a day. What’s the best bang for my buck?

(Tim) #2

From what I’ve heard, and what I own.

I have 2 blood glucose and ketone meters. The Nova Max Plus, and the Abbott Precision Xtra. Both can get pretty expensive for ketone strips. On the balance, the NovaMax Plus is cheaper per strip, but slightly less accurate than the Abbott Precision Xtra. The Abbott ranges from ‘not unreasonable’ if you find a good deal on strips via ebay or some other site, to ‘Holy crap, it’s legal to charge this much for this stuff?’ for the test strips.

Also a friend who has Type 1 also owns both of these. She holds roughly the same opinion, to the best of my knowledge. She also promised me a head to head comparison of the two at some point in the future. I’ll likely do something similar, but on a much smaller scale as insurance covers her test strips and I’m paying for mine out of pocket.

As far as the breath meters go, I’ve heard they’re somewhere between the Ketostix and the blood ketone strips in terms of accuracy and reliability. Probably by far the most cost effective option though.

I’ve found it useful to think of testing for ketones as somewhat of a waterfall or overflow model. The ketones you’re seeing in whatever type of test you’re using, are the excess. The stuff your body isn’t using for fuel. So they tend to cascade from 1) Brain uses first, as much as it can 2) Muscles and other tissues use second 3) Excess hits the blood 4) Excess hits the breath/urine with corresponding decreases in accuracy of measurement as you move down the chain. I’m honestly not sure which on my number four in that list is more or less accurate.

From what I’ve read/heard on the topic after several months absorbing small bits here and there, the logic seems reasonable for the model to function something like I described. As always, willing to learn if anyone can help me refine my views or correct any errors.

TL;DR - I think the blood glucose/ketone meters are worth the extra money for the much higher degree of accuracy.

[quote=“JorgePasada, post:2, topic:16102”]
I think the blood glucose/ketone meters are worth the extra money for the much higher degree of accuracy. [/quote]

Agreed!

(Sophie) #4

This is timely because I just did my first ketosis test yesterday! I’ve been using the pee sticks for a few months and the results vary greatly depending on the time of day, whether I’m hydrated or not, etc, sometimes it’s a negative and I’ve never made it up into the dark purple rating. So, I ordered a cheapo breathalizer from China and have been trying that out. It works with alcohol just fine and I tested it with 100% actone and it registered that perfectly too, only when I blow I get a big fat Zero Every Stinkin Time! :angry: My hubby ordered me the Precision Optimum Neo plus 100 glucose strips and 10 starter ketone strips which I just received. Yesterday, in succession, I did the pee stick and it was negative, the breathalizer was again, negative but the blood test was 1.1! I’m going with the blood result and saying yes, I am in ketosis! I think I read somewhere around here that you can get to a point where you don’t pass ketones in your urine anymore, and I’ve been looking for more info but have been symied and pressed for time lately and the cheapo breath thing was a hit or miss. It seems like the blood is the best way to go but it’s pissin off how ridiculously expensive the strips are! It almost reeks of conspiracy! lol :angry:

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Here is a thread about inexpensive breathalyzers. I personally found mine great, ketostix were worthless, unless I was dehydrated, they showed negative all the time. I got one of these for less than $10,and no finger pricking involved. I don’t do finger pricking at all for any reason. Had needles in all forms. lots of good info about them in this thread.