Best blood ketone monitor?

Really interested in getting a good blood monitor (one that monitors glucose too would be nice). Any recommendations/things to avoid? I’m currently leaning towards this one here…

https://www.amazon.com/KETO-MOJO-Glucose-Testing-ketogenic-Carrying/dp/B0789G8KTG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1532840892&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=blood+ketone+monitor&psc=1#customerReviews

The strips seem to be about $1 each, is that standard? Seems high…

(Todd Gamel) #2

That’s the monitor I have. I was keto for 18 months before I ever bought one. I never used the ketone urine strips either. Bought them both when I started fasting. I only use the Mojo monitor when I am in a fast, because the strips are about $1.00 each. As for the urine test strips, they are really only accurate when you first start keto. Once you body gets used to this WOE, you spill less ketones in your urine therefore you can get a negative reading while you are actually in ketosis.

For example two weeks ago in the middle of my 88 hour fast, my ketone urine strips were negative for ketones, but my blood monitor showed ketones to be 5.1mMol/L.

(Annalee Haley) #3

I have that monitor and like it very much. I am currently using it to measure hubby’s glucose, ketone index as we are using ketogenics for disease treatment and prevention. We also use it during his extended fasts.

(Kellie) #4

It is expensive but I’m bat shit crazy about keto and checking so I make room for it in my budget because my weightloss is important to me and tracking it and making sure I am where I’m supposed to be is important to me. It’s really a preference though if you feel you need it or not. I used to test like 3 times a day - went through strips fast gets very costly now I have calmed down a bit and check every few days just to kinda make sure I’m still good. The glucose strips are nice I have used those after I eat something with sugar just to see how my body reacted to it . I don’t use them much I rely mostly on the keto strips because if it says I’m in then I don’t care as much about the glucose reading . I don’t have diabetes or any health issues so it may be different for those that do

(Kellie) #5

Oh and I have this one lol I didn’t mention that but it’s great just expensive like I said

I bought a keto mojo and it’s super easy to use. Strips are expensive and they offer them at a good price

Thanks just ordered one. Also got some glucose strips and ketone urine strips (will use those as a rough gauge while I slowly transition).

I have three meters:

keto mojo - I prefer this one for measuring blood ketones. I don’t get repeatable results for blood glucose.

Contour Next - Measures only blood glucose; generally reads 5-10 points higher than my keto mojo, but repeated testing in a short period of time produces consistent (repeatable) results; results are usually identical or perhaps differ by 1 point from other results in the series.

Precision Xtra - Measures both blood ketones and blood glucose. I rarely use it.

(linda) #9

Precision Xra gets my vote!

(Ron) #10

You might find these interesting.

(Omar) #11

very helpful

thanks Ron @mtncntrykid

What is the consensus view on the Ketonix - expired air machine - it’s initially expensive, but over time the costs seem comparable - but as a relatively a new machine does it work?

I have a Ketonix.

It takes a while to warm up - often over five minutes.

I have a hard time getting consistent back to back results with it, but this may be due to my technique.

I haven’t seen much correlation between the results on my Ketonix and measuring blood ketones. I rarely use my Ketonix now, but I test my blood ketones (with the keto mojo) at least once a day.

(Terence Dean) #14

FreeStyle Optium Neo is my choice which we can get from Amcal Chemists in Australia, its available on Amazon too but more expensive which has me scratching my head? Its handy being able to do both blood sugar and ketones, saves me having to stab myself twice!

https://www.amazon.com/Freestyle-Optium-Glucose-Ketones-Monitorring/dp/B07BMS82QL/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533391860&sr=8-1&keywords=Abbott+FreeStyle+Optium+Neo