Bearded Lady wants to know: Collagen or Carnivore

(GINA ) #21

I think it is collagen. I experience the same thing. My hair and nails grow like crazy. I started taking it for the ‘thin skin’ look my arms were getting and it has helped with that too.

Wow I didn’t know this about you, @Fangs!
Sounds great :smiley: Now I will imagine you with badass strong claws :smiley:

My SO has long strong nails so I usually ask for his help when needed :frowning: My poor, poor tiny nails are so useless sometimes.
But if I do anything with soil, he doesn’t want to come near as it goes under his nails… Mine too but that’s almost nothing in my case :smiley: We both are useless in gloves, well at least me, he uses them at work so maybe he got used to them…? Still never saw him doing garden work in gloves. Except when we handle the blackberries - not like it matters for direct attacks by long thorns but at least the vague scratches are avoided and we can work for 10 minutes before we retreat and not, like, 3 (I never use gloves so yep, that’s my normal time and I am very determined and stubborn. but dislike pain)…

What is with right index fingers here? I cut into my nail and flesh on that finger when we bought a chainsaw and I used it… (My SO cut his feet. Never used it without shoes again. As for me, I pretty much avoid using the chainsaw but sometimes I can do it, very carefully. The thing is pretty safe so I haven’t the foggiest how on earth did I manage to hurt my hand with it but I have skills.)
It took maybe a year to have a proper looking nail again. My nail grew as normal (my nail and hair growing is above average, I only have problems with strength) but it didn’t attach to the skin properly for a looooooooooong time.
I did low-carb when it happened but it was a tiny injury anyway. Scary though. But I didn’t need any aid, that’s good.

My Mom cut part of her thumb off once… They could reattach it.

(Central Florida Bob ) #23

Didn’t see this before, but the guitar world is strangely divided on this. There are fingerpicks, but they aren’t as widely accepted as for banjo players. This is a popular brand, and obviously not the flat, triangular shape picks most people have seen.

The picks need to match your finger’s size and shape, which makes fitting them tricky. They need to be tight enough on your finger to not pull off but not so tight that your fingers turn purple and fall off. (slight exaggeration) I know it’s true for me, but it’s probably true for everyone that if you look at your fingers carefully, you’ll find they vary in shape in a few ways. If you have knuckles that are enlarged (a sign of arthritis) anything that grabs those will hurt. I had to pretty seriously modify the fingerpicks I bought. Each finger required a different shape, so if I swap my index and ring fingers, say, they won’t work out as well.

Of all things, thumb picks seem to be more widely accepted than for the fingers.

I didn’t intend to write a book to answer this!

Wow. I didn’t know picks are this complicated… Never thought about the topic, I played the piano… (My poor, poor abandoned keyboard, it’s next to me, I know I should use it more…)

(Robin) #25

This was more novelette, and actually very interesting! Thanks. I can learn the Dar fest things on here!

that was strangely interesting info to read — thanks!!

learn something new everyday :slight_smile:

Eating Carnivore, you’re getting MORE than enough aminos to dump the collagen. You’re probably still way above what your breakdown would have been eating Keto+Collagen.

And the mainstream will deny flipping hair color back all day long! I used to dye my chin/mustache area since my early 20’s. Me and Just for Men killed a lot of good sinks! I’m 41 now and it’s all brown to match my head!

Mine wasn’t diet though (could have helped maybe) but a lotta… self prescribed supplements :grin:

(Robin) #29

I know some men who would love to know what supplements helped you!

Haha, HGH, The Peptide Ghk-CU and the (normal people) supplement Fo-Ti.

(jr bob dobbs) #31

I make a large crock pot of bone broth twice a month, and place it in one- and two-cup servings.

I’ll usually have one serving in the morning 2-3 times a week. On off days, I usually put a small scoop of collagen powder in my morning coffee. Not always though.

My only goals with this practice are keeping my joints and connective tissues as healthy as possible, and my gut.

Hasn’t seemed to cause any issues, and a warm cup of bone broth is an absolute delight, first thing in the morning.

(Megan) #32

Didn’t the sailors or whoever who got scurvy run out of meat and many other foods and were subsisting on very poor rations?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

The wooden ships typical of the era were very cramped. Seamen and officers were able to start the voyage with only a limited number of animals on board. After the fresh food ran out, the diet was ship’s biscuit (a kind of hardtack) and salt beef. (Not to mention the daily rum ration.) So a high-carb, not very high-fat diet. Whatever it is in fresh meat that prevents scurvy, is evidently lacking in the preserved meat.

Scurvy was a problem in the ships that stayed out to sea on long deployments. Ships that made port calls were able to re-stock with live animals often enough that scurvy was not a problem. For a couple of interesting accounts of shipboard life in the time of the Napoleonic Wars, the fiction series Horatio Hornblower and Master and Commander appear to be very well researched.

Meat is assumed to contain no Vitamin C, but we don’t really know whether this is true or not. Because we know it contains no Vitamin C, we never bother to test the meat to see if that’s actually true. In any case, a barrel full of limes and lemons is much easier to deal with than a live sheep or chicken.