Beans Beans the magical inedible fruit?

(Robin) #1

Question. I miss my beans. All beans. Went to a all natural, organic soup kitchen yesterday and got their white bean and artichoke support with Parmesan sprinkles. (GF, VEG) Made with veggie broth. And various other veggies. HEAVEN. Got a quart to-go, thinking I could make as many meals from it as the carbs would dictate. Of course, I can’t find a similar recipe online. But just saw that a cup of boiled white beans is 28 grams of carbs! I keep mine under 20 a day. Lord knows how many carbs I had yesterday with bowl of that beautiful soup. So… do I have to have 1/2 cup and that’s it for the whole freakin’ day? I think I’ll just have to give up the beans. So, what’s my question… HELP?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It’ your choice whether to exceed your carb tolerance or not. But if you are new to a ketogenic diet, you might find it helpful to wait until you are fully keto-adapted before trying to increase your carb intake.

And now you know why we don’t recommend eating beans, lol!

When I want beans I eat them. I do a lot of Mexican, damn right my beans are in there! Eating some beans once in a while isn’t going to make the world end.

(Robin) #4

Thanks, can you tell I am rather obsessive about this? I’m still so new (and with good success) that I’m afraid to stray. But yeah, I need to loosen the reins bit, probably. My problem is I do not trust my own will power. I’m a poor addictive soul, all or nothing, so I have to choose nothing with many temptations. My husband can open a bag of chips, eat two, and CLOSE THE BAG AND PUT IT AWAY!! Who does this?!!

(Robin) #5

I’m new-ish. 2 1/2 months. Down 26 pounds now. Feel great in every way. So I am reluctant to step off the path for a wee nibble of the forbidden fruit. I think I will set an anniversary date or weight goal and my well deserved reward will be a whopping cup of bean soup! LOL

Knowing your limits is what it’s about. I can typically eat a bunch of starchy carbs no prob and have no issues, sugary ones will screw with me, but since you brought it up I’ll make an exception with chips! I eat 2… I eat the bag!

It’s up to you… I cut out dry legumes from my diet when I went low-carb. Okay, I started with paleo but 80g is very low even eating non-legumes vegetables. Beans just didn’t fit that. I never missed them, my big fav is green peas… So I never had your problem, at least not with dry legumes.
If I miss something carbier, I have a few options.

1. Eat a tiny amount. It doesn’t always work, I liked to eat vegetables in big amounts. That’s why I had to ban cauliflowers on keto…
    1/2 cup of beans sounds plenty but then your other food must be very low-carb. Some of us eat significant carbs in our food all the time…
  2. Avoid the stuff. There are so many things to eat!
  3. (often combined with some above) Break keto.

It’s best just to eat some meat and do carnivore, actually :smiley: But I have my weeknesses. And I don’t resist temptation. I train to avoid them.
Your motivation (to stay on track as it works so well for you) is nice, use that. I definitely don’t advise the 3rd option, it’s merely a valid option for me. But the first works too. I learned moderation on keto… Eventually.

I experienced something similar to @lfod14, starches are way better than sugars. I still get thrown out of ketosis if I overdo them a bit but I usually feel okay and I can come back to keto easily and it’s good enough for me. I need to be way more wary with sugar.
Our woe, choices, decisions are up to us. We have different desires, weaknesses, attitudes so it’s fine we act differently.

(Laurie) #8

Robin, I consider myself a food addict–especially with carbs. Like you, I can’t understand how someone can have a bag of chips or candy around for days or even weeks at a time. In my world, one bag equals one serving!

Personally I find it best to stay away from anything I’m not supposed to be eating. Half a cup can lead to the whole jar, and beans can lead to other things…

Good luck figuring out where YOU need to draw your lines.

(Tracy) #9

Black Soy Beans only have 1 carb per serving. I find them at Natural Grocers. I use them in soups and chili. They just taste like regular beans.

(Robin) #10

Laurie… we are of the same tribe. People always tell me I have such amazing willpower, and I always say, no… I have NO willpower, so I cannot even have a nibble or a drink or whatever. Nope nope nope. So, once I saw the actual carb numbers on those sexy beans, I backed away. Done. If I ever receive a prognosis of two months left to live, I am going down chain smoking, drunk, and farting beans.
But… not today, satan! LOL

I was going to mention those myself, but when I went to the Eden Foods website to get a link, I found that the new nutritional label is completely different:

https://store.edenfoods.com/black-soybeans-organic-15-oz/

Each can used to have about 4 net carbs. Now its 20!

But I don’t see a change in ingredients…

(Robin) #12

Hope! Dashed… :o( LOL

(Tracy) #13

What the heck? This is a can I just got from my cupboard. I’m going to write the company and find out what the deal is. Do foods change their nutritional info when new info is found? I don’t know if I’m willing to spend 20 carbs per can. The one can of tomatoes I use in my chili meets my carb count pretty much for the day. Thanks for letting us know OgreZed.

(Bob M) #14

That is interesting. Now, it’s a lot higher.

The response someone on Reddit got when contacting the company:

Thank you for contacting us. We have updated the NLEA panel in accordance with new FDA requirements. The formulation is the same, we have updated the nutritional information with the latest lab testing results on the product.

(Tracy) #16

They never wrote me back. This means don’t eat black soy beans anymore. Bummer. Thanks for the update, friend. That was a shocking jump in carbs. It’s hard to believe they got it that wrong by mistake.