Bean substitutes for chilli?

(Justin Jordan) #21

You know, since I’ll be there next month - best chili in Dallas?

Best chili in Dallas is in Fort Worth. Try Rodeo goat (a burger place but fine brisket chili). If you have a little more cash and want to go someplace right nice, Lonesome Dove Bistro up in the Stockyards will be a memorable experience and a fine bowl of red.

Best place in Houston is my house.

(Justin Jordan) #23

As it happens, both of those places happened to already be on my food list. This bodes well for the trip.

I’m going to have trouble eating everything I aim to at Rodeo Goat.

(Shahrom Hawley) #24

Not trying to pick a fight, but this attitude about Chilli is nothing but snobbery. Your opinion is great if you’re a foodie or go to a lot o chilli cook offs, but it don’t wash for the average Texan. As I have spent more of my life in Texas than any other state (although my time in New Mexico is now nearly equal) , I can tell you this–

1. Don’t put garlic in Chilli.
  2. Use cumin
  3. Don’t just put “some chilli” in it. You want to put a LOT of chilli in it to thicken it-- if it ain’t like mud it ain’t Texas Chilli.
    The use of tomatoes and beans is a matter of preference, but I find that it creates a far more complex and full bodied flavor, and I can promise you that if you go to the Texas Chilli Parlor in Austin, you will have your choice of either of the main styles of Texas Chilli.
    I can also inform you that the vast majority of the thousands of pots of chilli I’ve had in my life had beans. Pintos are the most common, but far from the best. Black beans or Dark red Kidney beans is the REAL debate.
    I can also verify that in my 21 years in Texas, the words “chilli snob” were first used in reference to the Chilli-cook-off enthusiasts who are often insist that you only put meat and Chilli in your pot.
    Again-- that’s hot dog sauce. You want to get some tortilla chips to serve with it, top it with cheese, sliced jalapenos and diced white onions.
    To put a more friendly and less “troll” spin on this, I make excellent flax/chia seed crackers to use in lieu of the tortilla chips, so there’s a tip for you there, and my crackers are amazing and low low low carb.
    Also in the interest of friendship and agreement-- here’s a laugh for you. When I moved to New Mexico in 1985 (before moving back to Texas for the next 16 years, ) what they called “chilli” or more accurately “Chile” was stewed ground beef with corn, onions, potatoes, and a very large amount of sliced hatch green chilies.
    We’ve learned better in New Mexico since then. Nobody calls this “Chile” anymore; we call it “green chile stew.” It is very tasty, but not Chilli by any means!

Opinions are like noses. We’ve all got one and most of them smell.

And I guess chili snob fits me pretty well.

Enjoy New Mexico.

(Jane) #26

Excellent recommendations!!!

(Jane) #27

And as a native-born Texan (Tyler), 50+ years living in Houston I heartedly agree - NO BEANS IN CHILI!!!

:laughing: