Bcaa

(Steve ) #1

I’ve been keto for over 1 month now, also practicing 24 hour fasts everyday. I’ve recently started taking BCAA’s 30 minutes before weightlifting. It wasn’t until today I noticed that the ingredients say also contains maltodextrin. I know that maltodextrin is used a lot in manufacturing of pills as it helps with the production and the amount in them is going to be very little but will this still affect my keto negatively or am I good to carry on.

(Allie) #2

(Consensus is Politics) #3

Maltodextrin is used in many products as an anti-caking agent.

I have no idea how much is used, would be nice to know. But I noticed a problem when I was using sugar free Metamucil. Labeled as “safe for diabetics”. Outright lie. I was having really bad spiking glucose issues. Took me a few weeks to track down the cause. I mean after all it’s labeled “sugar free and safe for diabetics”.

Maltodextrine has a glycemic index of 120 thereabouts. Standard table sugar has a glycemic index of about 65. Thus putting maltodextrose as able to raise your BG twice as high as sugar, weight for weight.

I think I asked a question here about hidden sugars. I got a response listing a lot of things, some obvious like honey, others not so obvious, maltodextrose/maltodextrine.

I ceased taking Metamucil and my BG stabilized the next day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I have a list of around 121 different terms for sugar, posted here:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

By the way, in some of the lectures I have watched, the researcher has mentioned that BCAA’s can interfere with ketogenesis. They generally advise avoiding them unless you are trying to bulk up.

(BR) #6

Could you share those lectures? Would love to see. If heard BCAA’s laced with sucralose or other sweeteners, yes. But a basic BCAA (essentially amino acids) should do nothing to interfere- at least one would think…

(CharleyD) #7

My hunch is that a lot of the amino acid/protein supplements include maltodextrin in order to deliberately provoke an insulin response, to hopefully shuttle those guys into the skeletal muscle cell with greater efficiency.

Does anyone know for sure it works better?

There was a time when I’d say it’s better for you to just eat a steak or sashimi plate, but if your metabolism isn’t deranged and it works for you, more power to you!

I’ve since discovered the wonder of MCT oil and creatine supplementation since starting keto and am hooked on their real performance benefits.

(Troy) #8

Good info here on BCAA’s
kinda related to OP topic

Thomas talked about this
Some science links listed as well
Like on all his videos :smile: