Bacon Poll.. Limp vs crispy

food

(Susan) #141

I cannot stand it soft, nor can I stand any meat that is pink in the least, I like my bacon crispy and my steak, roasts, etc well done, no pink =).

(Robert C) #142

Hi @Momof5,

If the only way I liked bacon was crispy, I probably would not eat it.

Just as I will not make the outside of a steak crispy - I donā€™t like the potential cancer risk.

It is just intuition along with videos like the one linked below (starting at 18:07 is a discussion on charring food and potential cancer links). I trust this speaker because I do not see a vegan / vegetarian mindset - in fact she supplies lots of solutions to the problems of overcooking meat. Trying to do research on this topic on Google seems to get a lot of hits about ā€œbacon is badā€ and it is difficult to get the motivation for why they write that. Personally, I think high-quality non-overly cooked bacon is likely very healthy and very keto. (I also mentioned this video in May of '18 - it really is worth a look.)

(Susan) #143

I so rarely eat steak, as I donā€™t really like it. I donā€™t char the bacon (unless by accident a few times when I got distracted and didnā€™t get to it in time in the oven). I just cannot stand the taste of meats if they are pink in the least, even when I have tried to cover the taste with butter or avocado mayonnaise. I am not a big meat lover to begin with, but obviously force myself to eat it since Keto =).

(Robert C) #144

Well, maybe spices would do the trick to avoid the pink flavor - cajun or pepper etc.

Another option is to stick with ground meats where you can get the whole pan-full to browned (zero pink) without burn (especially if higher fat keto type ground meat). A little spice goes a long way with ground meat.

(Susan) #145

I eat more fish, chicken, ham and ground beef for meats in general, so it works fine for me =). We used to eat a lot more meat when we used to buy half a cow a year from our friends that are farmers. We stopped due to not being able to afford it anymore, a few years back. The meat was much nicer then what we get in the supermarket though for sure, and was all grain fed, no steroids.

Since then, even pre-Keto, we were buying more chicken, fish, ham, and the ground beef. My family is still eating a lot of processed Carbage, but I stick to healthy Keto foods since I began in February. Todayā€™s Lunch at 1pm was 6 scrambled eggs with butter and Supper at 4:30 was 1 cup cabbage and 6 Breakfast Sausages. I have lost 55 pounds so far, and I have 110 or more to go, slow and steady as I go =). I have cut out most spices from my cooking since 2003 when I had my gallbladder out, but I am sure that many people enjoy their food spicey. Thanks for the ideas =).

(Robert C) #146

:ok_hand: EXCELLENT!!!

(Susan) #147

Thank you =). I definitely do not feel like I am dieting at all anymore, it is just my lifestyle now =). Lots of NSVā€™s too, so it is awesome =).