Avocado Mathematics

Ahem.

So according to the interwebs, an Avocado has:

73% water,
15% fat,
8.5% carbohydrates (mostly fibers) and
2% protein.

Any ideas if the above is correct? If it is, does that mean that 100g of Avocadoes (the actual edible part) has 15g of fat, 8.5g of total carbs and 2g of protein.

I got tired of all the different macros “per medium avocado” I found online so now I’m trying to just figure it out logically.

Thanks mathematicians.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Short answer: yes.

You are correct, use per 100 grams. It makes calculating nutrients so much easier and useful.

USDA raw avocado.

Thanks!

That makes it so much easier. So, does the reverse work for calorie calculation. For example, if multiply as follows

73% water = 73x0 = 0 calories
15% fat = 15x9 = 135 calories
8.5% carbs = 8.5x4 = 34 calories
2% protein = 2x4 = 8 calories

Thereby making total calories per 100g very, very roughly 177 calories (adding up all the above)?

Just checked the link you provided. I was close :smile:

(Joey) #5

Given the title of this thread I’m surprised no one has yet invoked Avogadro’s Number.

Avocado’s Number

Better yet

:man_shrugging:

Oh wow. I forgot all about that. Chemistry class was like 64864379 years ago :grin:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Are you using a tracking app? It sounds like you’re looking up each food on the browser. Try Cronometer. You can just log in weighed foods and it keeps a diary. It’s free. :cowboy_hat_face:

Fibre does not provide energy.

So many suppositions. Calorie maths is a waste of imagination.

minus 30kcal is about 150-ish ish.

If calories are important. Maybe not.

Better (maybe?) to check an n=1 blood glucose response to a 100g dose of avocado.

It’s not easy being green.

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

I’m with @FrankoBear Fiber is …complicated.

Up until fairly recently, pretty much all the lowcarb people said to subtract fiber and just use “net carbs”. If I understand the history, this comes from Drs. Eades in Protein Power. Dr. Michael Eades has said he now considers that a mistake.

With more medical doctors getting involved, there seems has been a move back to total carbs because different people metabolize fiber differently.

The end result is what @FrankoBear says. Have a known dose of Avocado, about what you’d probably eat at one meal. Start out fasted - five or six hours since your last meal is good. Then test your blood sugar ever 30 minutes until it starts to drop back to normal. Since avocado has lots of fat, that helps spread out the sugar response, so this is likely going to take 2 or 3 hours. For sure you don’t want to see it go over 140 - you never want to see that. The lower the increase the better, but you don’t want you sugar to go down the whole time, either.

(Bob M) #10

Here’s my math for avocados: the best number of them is zero. Unless they’re in guacamole. Even then, they aren’t great. :grinning:

Seriously, I just don’t get why people like avocados.

@CFLBob The problem with fiber is that you’re really not going to get calories from it until much later. I hate to quote Wikipedia, but here you go:

If there is a “spike” due to insoluble fiber, it won’t be for a while.

(Central Florida Bob ) #11

I enjoy quacamole, but I’m not full-tilt crazy about it. We have it once a week if at all. My wife loves them more than I do and she’ll cut up one into a big salad if we’re having that for dinner. I’m gonna guess I have two avocados a week.

Good point about the fiber digesting so slowly. My suspicion is that an avocado will have virtually no effect on blood sugar because of the large slug of fat and low, slowly digested carbs. I haven’t bothered to test.

Chronometer does look better than the tracking app I use but…I have sunk costs in my current app :grin: It’s got all my custom recipes dating back years nicely divided into portions etc. Sigh. I think I just need to let go.

Blasphemy!! :grin: Avocadoes are great! And, I hate to point this out Bob (not really), but the little web icon for theketogenicforums is a half avocado :grinning:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

I agree avocados are great, however I see a ketone and not half an avocado? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

I’m sure there’s a forthcoming rational explanation, David. :heart_eyes:

You are all looking at the wrong one (I’m not crazy, promise :joy:)

Look at the picture below. Can you see the avocado? It’s the web bookmark thingy :grin:. Tell me that’s not an avocado

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

Could be a lemon. I’ve never seen an avocado with a nipple. :heart_eyes:

Well, you say that but…

PeruAvoStrangeBIG

176198079_3b1c27ba78_z

:joy:
Thank you google! You’ve made my day

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

touché @JustMo! Your warped avocados don’t look much like the bookmark logo to me. That’s not a nipple, but a probocis. But then, whyever would the bookmark use a lemon?

David, I knew there’d be a rational response. :sunglasses: