Autism

Hi group my fist time posting & feeling a bit nervous​:tired_face: I have started this WOE for health benefit as my weight is within normal range and I have to say I am feeling so much better :heart:My question is I have a 20 yr old with autism (high functioning) who is not over weight but loves lollies if I encouraged him to try this WOE is it possible it could help is ADD …we have always eaten pretty healthy at home (never low fat) but I am loving this new WOE and would do anything to help my son thx in Advance​:blush:

(Chris) #2

A short answer is, I don’t think we know for sure. Autism itself is a mysterious circumstance. I will say though, that it can’t hurt. The brain loves ketones, they are part of what helps it grow and develop.

Now I will shut my mouth and wait for someone more knowledgeable about autism weigh in.

(Andrew) #3

Yup, great for ADD. Doesn’t do crap for autism, but hey I’m almost 50. Plenty of people on the spectrum have anxiety and it’s good for that too.

I bet it might counter what ever causes it, but you’d have to start eating keto damn early. < 2yrs old I bet.

Well, autism/neurodivergency is a spectrum of highly variant degrees of things per person. Not all autistic people have ADHD, and many people who have ADHD aren’t on the spectrum.

That said, being that ketosis & LCHF nutrients greatly nourish the brain and stop the carb/sugar ups and downs - it can stabilize some nervous/neurological conditions as well as general mood. A strict ketogenic diet originated as a highly successful prescription for epileptic children for example - though the long term success I think is best when the whole family goes keto/LCHF rather than it being just for the one kid.

I would think it highly likely to be beneficial. The Feingold Diet - an elimination diet that cuts out food additives and high salicylate fruits as well as aspirin - has been enormously helpful for some parents of children I know. Add to that a well-formulated LCHF or ketogenic way of eating and many more benefits may be found!

However, if your son is attached to the lollies and certain foods, it may be very distressful to him and stressful to you if you don’t find substitutes that he can truly like, as he may have very strong preferences. Fortunately there are more companies making natural low-carb friendly cookies and gummy candies, etc. Here are some xyltiold sweetened lollies: http://a.co/hOKJst3

You can search this forum via the search bar at the upper right, maybe other parents of autistic and/or ADHD kids have posted !

I’m 54 and high functioning and alexithymic.

I have always been low carb and no sugar, I’ve been Keto for about two years.

I just discovered extended fasting, part of which was to reset my body and mind to a balanced level. In my opinion, the fasting and continued ketosis has helped some symptoms of my traits:

• increased and excellent focus
  • elimination of negative circular thinking, elimination of all circular / repetitive thinking
  • calm and reduced anxiety if not eliminated anxiety
  • more physical energy which eliminates my body and speaking from being lazy
  • elimination of body aches caused by inflammation
  • better cognitive thinking and problem solving

There is no cure for ASD, a neurological condition - though I have certainly experienced a difference in my traits due to a cleaner and clearer blood chemistry / brain chemistry.

Ketogenics and a 20 day Fast have provided me with a different baseline for my ASD traits, for my thoughts, for my happiness which is an amazing benefit.

Obviously, your results will vary.

I actually need to update my blog myinsightcoach.com with this experience.

I have found a grain free, sugar free, dairy free diet, higher fat diet eliminated my lifelong symptoms of adhd so I would say go for it and see how he responds. You will know within about 3 weeks if it’s working.

(migorstmarseille) #7

Thanks for your post. I have a 12 year old with high functioning Autism and ADHD. He does like his carbs, but I’ve been offering him things along the LCHF “menu”, and he knows that “Dad doesn’t eat sugar because it’s poison” to me. His emotions swing like a pendulum (mostly frustration and anger) and from my experience, I know that eating low carb has greatly reduced my anxiety, and, I hope, that he decides to move to this WOE and can experience lessened anxiety himself.

There is an episode of the Dudes Podcast early on with a Keto family. I believe one of the children has Aspergers and is eating LC. You may want to listen to it

(Candice) #9

My daughter is on the spectrum, high functioning, and has ADD and a receptive/expressive language disorder. I have been considering trying Keto with her, as I’ve experienced a number of benefits with my average mind. She is open to this. There isn’t much research to support Keto for Autism. Susan Masino is/has done some research on this, she is on an episode of Ketovangelist podcast (episode 89) and has some good info. I have her book “Ketogenic Diet and Metabolic Therapies” (2017), but have not sat down to read it yet. I’ll try to read at least the chapter covering Keto as an emerging application for Autism and post about it.

Try Keto Macadamia Pancakes!

Here is one to read:

https://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/01/autism-and-ketogenic-diets.html

(Jack Brien) #12

Since one of the main issues with high functioning ASD is anxiety, you may find the benefits of a keto diet worthwhile. Personally, I feel much calmer and thus much happier and able to deal with life much easier. I’m still an awkward bugger, but less so.

(Jodi) #13

My adult son with severe autism does much better overall on a low/very low carb diet. We have been unable to transition to keto for him, because he is a picky eater but we have managed low carb substitutes mostly at least. We also do supplements and digestive enzymes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

My 24 year old autistic son is on keto for a couple of months now. He’s gained weight which is good and he’s having good days more often. Less frustration. So far, so good and an easy transition from gluten free Paleo. :cowboy_hat_face: