Aussies - Did you catch "The Obesity Myth" on SBS?

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #21

I was just happy to see low carb and keto mentioned in mainstream media! Baby steps towards greater acceptance. But you are right, there’s still too much emphasis in the doc on bariatric surgery as being the (only) real solution.

(Kylie Woodruff) #22

I"m watching Episode 3 right now - poor Wayne, poor poor guy. I am crying for him :frowning:

I did the 800 cal blood sugar diet which is low carb, high fat and not quite keto but found my way to these forums due to getting increasingly interested in both full ketogenic eating and fasting. It’s really not too bad to eat that many cals (that few?) if you get variety in. They advise 50 carbs or under and I lost about 2 stone in 2 months so it shifts off you quick which is great if you are type II and never wanting to start meds :smiley: It also gets you to break any sugar addiction you may have had. My problem is that portion sizes started creeping upwards and that I think I’m eating too much meat/protein which is turning into glucose. The first programme was a bit annoying but I’m going to watch the second one.

I think the diet they are putting them on in the film is the Newcastle diet.Blood Sugar diet is the same but you eat instead of using meal replacement shakes

(Randy) #24

Any chance on uploading episode 3? I’m in suspense!!! :smile:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #25

Yes Sir! Episode 3 is now up: Episode 3: https://vimeo.com/234774208 ( Password to view is: 2keto )

…(and this is the last of this three part series)…

(Keto in Katy) #26

@keehan Thanks for posting these videos! :+1:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #27

Yep! No worries.

I’m a bit flip-floppy on this series. On one hand I’m thrilled to see mainstream acceptance and use of ketogenesis to help weight loss, but it seems in this series they only half heartedly attempt to use it. Still, it was an interesting watch.

(Patrick Belair) #28

@keehan
Thanks for the Vids.
I’ll do the same if I ever see something on the Canadian TV.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #29

Not a problem! I live in Edmonton (but Aussie born, been in Edmonton for 17 years now) and through a bunch of nerdy computery stuff, I manage to get Aussie TV over the internet. I have a bunch of friends back in Australia and we swap TV shows. It’s the online version of what we used to do in the 80’s and 90’s with VHS tape. :smile:

(Randy) #30

Thank you kindly!!! :smile:

Thanks for posting these, although the series makes me really annoyed with the so-called food industry. It’s astonishing how far removed most of us are from what actual food is. One of my friends works with 3-4 year old children and they’ve done various things on where food comes from. Some of the children thought sausages grew on trees and there is no connection to meat and the animals they come from. Surely a big part of the problem is the amount of fast food places springing up everywhere, do we really need them and do they do anything positive except provide work? No-one actually needs any of the junk they sell and it would solve a load of problems for future generations

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #32

Yeah… my kids asked where their steak comes from, so I found a couple of videos online showing the full butchering of pork, chicken and steak. They were pretty grossed out (especially at chicken), but at least now have an understanding of where it comes from. I’ve butchered my own pigs and chickens in the past and I truly appreciate every bite of meat I take.

(Allan L) #33

Thanks so much for uploading. Watching now.

(Allan L) #34

My jaw dropped when they started testing for ketones in the urine. :slight_smile:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #35

…public health…always looking for the cheapest option. As I said earlier, this is great to see some keto recognition and use in the health system, but it seems to be half half heartedly done and there’s soooooo much room for improvement.

They just seem so eager to cut people up… I don’t understand why the balloon couldn’t have stayed longer to see how much weight could have been lost before dragging 80% of his stomach out although it was great to see how much happier he was

(KetoCowboy) #37

Thanks @keehan for sharing the links to the program.

I enjoyed the program even though I considered it pure propaganda from someone with a specific (and obvious) agenda to classify obesity as a disease so that the Aussie healthcare system will pick up the tab for more bariatric surgery.

I understand why some folks might consider it a step forward to see any examination of LCHF eating, but not when that occurs within the context of taking multiple giant steps backwards by further entrenching obsolete ideas about obesity.

Even if you have to please the special interests funding your film, it’s irresponsible to say, “There is no doubt that the epidemic of T2 diabetes is caused by the increased weight of the population” (6:32 in episode 3).

This failure to recognize obesity as one symptom of insulin resistance and diabetes as another isn’t just short-sighted; it’s pernicious. It makes poor people like Wayne focus entirely on the wrong thing (losing weight) instead of the right thing (changing his diet in such a way that insulin resistance stops causing so many problems).

Just before the 22-minute mark of the 3rd episode, we’re told that “obesity is a chronic disease” to which some of us are genetically exposed. This is 1) false, 2) misleading, & 3) disempowering.

It’s false because (as mentioned above), obesity isn’t a disease; it’s a symptom.
It’s misleading because even though some people are genetically predisposed to insulin resistance if they consume a diet of processed food, it focuses on the impossible part of the problem to control (genetic predisposition) instead of the easy part to control (the exposure to toxic foods).
It’s disempowering because it teaches the viewer that losing your foot is almost entirely about your parents’ chromosomes and not at all about whether you eat a big bowl of french fries as a daily component of your weight loss plan.

For me, the most unbearable moment came at 28:55 in episode 3, when Wayne, as he contemplates authorizing an amputation, says, “The best part is I’ve lost the weight.”

OMG. That is like a man on statins dying of a heart attack and smiling as he looks at his cholesterol numbers. This kind of nonsense should make us angry.

But the most objectionable bit of brainwashing comes a few minutes later (31:15) when we’re told about “Robert’s genetic urge to overeat.”

This is supposed to seem humane because we aren’t blaming Robert for being overweight, but the unstated claim is this: “Viewers, keep eating the garbage you’re eating–and keep your fingers crossed that you don’t have the same genetic urge as Robert.” This logic strips people of their agency, and it becomes ludicrous when the narrator adds that bariatric surgery “has liberated Robert.”

See? The weight’s gone–so the problem has been solved. That mentality of treating the symptom instead of the underlying cause is what will lead to lots of bariatric patients working themselves back to their old weight because they haven’t learned anything about insulin resistance.

P.S. Apologies (esp. to Keehan) if this sounds angry, but I guess hearing people say over and over that obesity CAUSES diabetes makes me a little . . . angry.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #38

Not at all! :slight_smile: I appreciate everyone’s views! Thanks for yours.

Poor Wayne! I was screaming at the TV to him. A bowl of fries every day! …and it was similar for just about everyone featured in the series. Pretty much all of them “cheated” on their LCHF diet, yet none realised that just one cheat destroyed all the good work LCHF was doing for several days afterwards.

I’m really hoping that LCHF makes further ingress in that eventually someone in the field will sit up and notice that people can do really well with a proper ketogenic WOE.

(Allan L) #39

I think if they were put on a keto diet and not a calorie restricted low carb diet less would have cheated.

Dr Jason Fung battled with this same problem, people cheating on LCHF, so he introduced just not eating at all, fasting, and got a much higher rate of compliance.

(Allan L) #40

I found episode 3 with Wayne the most frustrating and I agree, Poor Wayne.

He kept repeating, “I’ve lost the weight” but he is still losing his foot yet he can’t imagine not eating potato chips every day. SIGH. Lots of shouting at the TV too “LIFE WITHOUT YOUR FOOT v LIFE WITHOUT CHIPS! Your choice”