Atkins treats question

OK, I have a serious coupon for some " Atkins Endulge Treat, Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares, Keto Friendly" treats and I tried one today. They are pretty good. Suspiciously good and naturally I became suspicious. Only low carb if you subtract sugar alcohols. I think malitol is the issue… So, your mailtol thoughts? surely this is something that has a simple answer. Will malitol sweetened treats spike your blood sugar?

51RRpgVB3QL

(Tyler) #2

For me personally these products cause major cravings for me that I do not have if I’m not eating these “treats”

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

FWIW, I eat them occasionally and they don’t ruin things for me. I find them quite tasty.

IMO, Atkins bars don’t compute net carbs properly, because they use maltitol and subtract it out completely. So my net carb computation would put them a lot higher.

Sugar alcohols vary in digestibility. Some, like erythritol, can be subtracted out completely. Others, like Xylitol and Maltitol, still have over 2 calories per gram, so should really only be half-subtracted.

(bulkbiker) #5

If it has more than one ingredient (usually meat) then I usually avoid it.
These would not be in my shopping cart.

(Robert C) #6

These things seem to have the nutritional value of a candy bar. Per @OgreZed - the Atkins company seems to simply be mis-stating facts and calculating “net” carbs by removing carbs from the calculation contending that they do not affect blood sugar.

Page 30 on this link shows the difference (not much) between Atkins, Reese’s and Nestle peanut butter cups.

I don’t think these would be worth the risk unless you knew it was helping you avoid something much worse.

(Randy) #7

Maltitol syrup has a glycemic index of 52, which approaches that of table sugar at 60. The glycemic index is a measure of the effects of food on raising your blood glucose level.

…and then, of course, there is the diarrhea if you over indulge.

(Wendy) #8

Yeah, I don’t purposely eat maltitol. Or corn oil, (the peanuts are roasted in it.) Or sorbitol, or food coloring.
That’s just me though.

I guess you don’t buy much.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Maltitol is the non-sugar sweetener in the sugar-free Gummi Bears that led to so many hilarious reviews on Amazon. If you have it in any quantity, be sure not to stray too far from home. . . . :rofl:

(Mother of Puppies ) #12

Maltitol makes me binge.

Hard pass

(bulkbiker) #13

Mainly meat from local butcher… simplifying life to the greatest extent.
Saving time and energy…