Ate off diet and now have flu like symptoms :(

sugar
gluten
cheat

(Angie) #1

Hello. I have been very strict on the keto diet for three months now and this past weekend was the first time I said screw it. I ate chips and salsa, a burger with the bun, and some peach cobbler. Gluten tends to bother me and sugar makes me wacko but I did it anyway. I felt fine all weekend until today. I had horrific diarrhea this morning like I’ve never had before. Flu like symptoms – achy, nauseous, headache – begin five hours or so after I woke up this morning. It has now been 12 hours and I still feel absolutely horrible. Is this normal? If so, how long can I expect this to last? Thank you for any advice and information!!

Horrible stomach pains and Diarrhea ( sorry TMI I know)
(Running from stupidity) #2

Sounds like it is for you! Interesting N=1 experiment, but I’d prob not repeat it given the results :slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #3

You know, I’ve been keto for 18 months and have considered having a “cheat” or whatever you want to call it, just to see what would happen. This kind of story makes me re-think that idea! :exploding_head:

It’ll probably take as long to get out of your system as it took to ingest the poison. Hang tough, be ready for the cravings, & KCKO.

(Edith) #4

Or maybe it’s the actual stomach flu?

(Wendy) #5

Could be the gluten if you’re sensative. I seem to notice more problems with wheat than even sugar if I cheat/treat. I don’t have intestinal issues but do get pain in my joints.

I would not be as courageous to call carbs poison, but I believe there is two posibilities: either you have bad case of keto flu or you are actually sick, like was mentioned, stomach flu or something else. Maybe some of the foods you ate weren’t fresh? I don’t know, just an opinion. Peace.

(Carpe salata!) #7

When I was on paleo and eating really clean I got two strong reactions. One was with painting the bathroom- I was sick with flu symptoms the next day which went totally away in24hrs. The other reaction was with smoked almonds. Same kind of thing with aching joints and headache.

I think once we get out of practice coping with additives, our body loses its defenses. Maybe this is what happened to you. Just a guess.