As humans, I guess we all do this

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Seeing things from or own perspective… I’ve tried really hard to imagine how other people think about things, but I know life is just different for everyone.

Where I’m going with all of this, is that I have a best, life long friend, who I love like a brother. He had been morbidly obese for most of his life, then after some health scares, he just used extreme will power to limit his calorie intake, and dropped from nearly 500 lbs, to below 300lbs ! Freaking awesome, right ?

But the thing is, he has to constantly struggle to stay around 300 lbs, and in reality, it would be great if he could lose another 80lbs.

So, during a long drive, I started pondering all of this stuff, and I was like, “Hey ! I have a great EASY idea ! All my buddy needs to do is go 100% Keto ! That would be the answer to everything ! He could lose another 80lbs without even trying ! Kick his diabetes completely aside, and just live happily ever after” !
And I was SO ready to just call him as soon as I had cell phone reception with the great news ! Actually was feeling a little excited.

But after a little bit, I thought to myself… Most people, including my friend, cant just “flip a switch in their head” and go hog wild with things the way I do :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Maybe my friend (and for that matter, many people) could not just jump right into Keto, and easily lose 80 more lbs.

I guess this post is kind of an extension to my post, “Keto must be really hard for normal people”… because as much as I love and respect my friend, he is “quite normal”…compared to myself. Dammit, if only I could rub off a little bit of my OCD on him, at least concerning diet…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You might still be able to sit down with your friend and say something like, “Now, brother, you know how much you mean to me, and how I want you to be as healthy as possible, so . . .”

Nah, I didn’t really think so either. Just get real drunk and shout, “I love you, man!” :rofl::rofl::rofl: #BEINGAGUYISHARD

(John) #3

You don’t have to be OCD to make a decision to change and then develop the right mind-set and habits. It is not easy, and requires commitment and follow-through. But it does not require any unusual type of neurological condition.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Ehhhh… You might not “have to be OCD”, but it sure freaking helps !

I mean, you have to stop and remember, even being where he is at, is a constant struggle… I wish that he could just toss all that, and start doing Keto so easily, he barely has to think about it ! But the thing is, even here on this forum, I see people who struggle with staying Keto :frowning: Its just obvious to me, that Keto is a LOT harder for a lot of people, than it is for me.

So to put it another way, Keto ‘either requires’ that a person has, as you put it, “an unusual type of neurological condition” {like myself} OR a huge amount of self control, and discipline. So thank God for my OCD, because I could not do it with self discipline alone.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I have to say that, as a sugar/carb addict, it took quite a long time to become able and willing to deal with the addiction, but once I did, it was surprisingly easy. Giving up an addiction seems to involve a moment of confronting one’s essential powerlessness, especially over the substance or behavior in question; until that moment it is usually next to impossible to deal with.

What did it for me was two things: Peter Attia’s TED talk, in which he advances the proposition that obesity and diabetes are both effects of the same cause; and Robert Lustig’s lecture, “Sugar: The Bitter Truth,” which scared me deeply. (Diabetes runs in both sides of my family.) I’m not sure why, but I resolved then and there to remove sugar from my diet; I started feeling so good that it became easy to cut out the other carbohydrate a couple of weeks later.

(Susan) #6

If this guy had the will power to drop 200 pounds, he might just surprise you and be a star at Keto, you won’t know unless you actually give him a chance.

Invite him over to your house on a non-fasting day and make him an amazing Keto meal. Then have a nice long chat to him about Keto. He might surprise you! Good Luck =)).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Paul, that was a super meaningful reply ! Thank you.
Maybe it’s only a “will power thing” at first. I have to admit, I did have to use what little (very little) self control I have a lot more often in the first few weeks. But now that I’m into the Keto groove, I really don’t even have to think much about it. Honestly, it’s taking nearly no self control at this point, which for me, a fortunate thing :grin: lol

And believe me, I ate a freaking TON of sugar ! As I’ve said before, like 2 or 3 maple bars or apple fritters at 2 or 3 am right before bed… And I’m taking like , 5 or 6 nights a week ! And king size milky ways and Reese’s PB cups every day.

I mean honestly, while you will hear a lot of people talk about how they have such a terrible metabolism, and how every little thing they eat sticks to them, I will say exactly the opposite ! I should have weighed 500+ freaking pounds, but I was just lucky with a great metabolism. Plus the fact that I didn’t develope diabetes ? Just a freaking miracle !

That sugar / carb addiction is some serious stuff !

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Well now that I live 50 miles away, I pretty much keep up with him on text and phone.
But yes, he (like many others have) could surprise everybody with a huge Keto success story.

Another thought though, is that in spite of being best long time friends like 40 of our 55 years, I might not be the best person to promote Keto, and I say that, because he KNOWS better than anyone, that I go overboard with anything I ever get into, and usually do exceedingly well with it… Like I did on my last fitness thing… Or with fishing… Or photography… Or whatever else my mind gets stuck on. So he could be like, “Well yeah, you are doing great with it, but that’s because your an Obsessive Compulsive whacko” :grinning: lol

Knowing all this, when we did talk, I told him, "Hey bro, I’m not even going to tell you that you should do this Keto thing, but I am going to say, you should absolutely put some serious thought and research into it. It would be great if he could find some less OCD people… Maybe previously morbidly obese ones, who have turned it completely around.

I haven’t invited him here yet, but now that I think about it…:slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #9

I just thought it might be a good idea was all. You could at least try to talk to him about it =).