Article on the Dangers of Low Carb

(Hank) #1

My son is an MD. He isn’t an advocate or opponent of Keto. He sent this to me. Given the dates I expect the pool who were low carb were mostly on Atkins. Atkins was a train wreck for me. It is an interesting article we should all read if for no reason than the sample size. FWIW, I disagree with the findings due to my statements above.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

(Ellie) #2

@PaulL 11 and counting!

@Why1504 There are multiple threads already on this article, including some pretty comprehensive critiques.

(Championsidewinder) #3

https://youtu.be/bFLM55uvL9U This guy debunks that

(Hank) #4

Sorry about the re post. I didn’t see them.

As I told my son, the point of Keto is to become fat enabled. I had serious doubts that even 1% of the sample was fat enabled.

He did not argue. He is even eliminating some carbs from his diet.

(Championsidewinder) #5

Seems like MyFitnessPal doesn’t know the difference between carbs and net carbs, because it said I took in 12 carbs for one whole avocado then when you google it it says 2 net grams for one whole avocado, so I will try carb manager tomorrow morning

(Championsidewinder) #6

And it never shows net carbs anywhere, just carbs and sugar, because the stupid app is trying to do keto when it originally wasn’t designed to do it I think

(What The Fast?!) #7

Do you know where those threads are? I wanted to share the critique with someone.

(Championsidewinder) #8

Threads? I have threads on my shorts will that work? Lol

(Sophie) #9

You have to manually set up MFP to show fiber and carbs, then do the math yourself.

(Ellie) #10

They are all over the place. I think @Brenda has been trying to merge them.
I’m doing this on my phone now so not sure if it will work but here goes.
CNN article on life expectancy lower with a low carb diet

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/this-article-refutes-longterm-low-carb-diet/54396/

There are others too.

(Championsidewinder) #11

I know I did that but it still doesn’t say the word “net”

It says carbs and sugar, and sugar is lower than what is listed in carbs, so ppl might think they should follow the sugar

(Championsidewinder) #12

That’s just one reason mfp sucks and is not KetoDiet friendly

(Championsidewinder) #13

That crap is probably funding by the doctors and health care industry to get you to up your carbs so you go back on their poison pills

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Good for your son! If he’s interested in pursuing any of the stuff we’ve been learning, there is a lot of useful information linked in the “Show me the Science” section, and we can point him to some good books, if he has time for reading.

You might mention to your son that one of the co-authors, Walter Willett, who now works with Sarah Seidelmann at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, was at the Harvard School of Public Health for years. Not only was the school founded and funded by sugar industry money, but Willett and his former boss, Frederick Stare, according to recently-published sugar industry memos, apparently took money from the sugar industry to badmouth saturated fat in order to divert attention from the bad effects of sugar. Not only that, but they also took money to put their names on the report (written by the sugar industry) that persuaded the U.S. Food & Drug Administration to list sugar as “Generally Recognized as Safe,” so the industry wouldn’t have to do any studies to prove that it actually is safe.