Are these normal ketone level fluctuations?

(Karim Wassef) #21

You’re right! I missed that. Do you have your lean mass?

I target 0.7g/lb of lean mass but I will go to 2x that when I feast post-EF.

I’d guess that it’s around 203-217lbs.(25-30% bodyfat)

(Karim Wassef) #23

I’m a big believer in protein - just didn’t have the baseline for comparison.

Same here. Whenever anyone suggest way above 1g per lb of bodyweight that’s just insane. With anything in life you’ll eventually reach a point of diminished returns. I prefer to be safe and cap my protein at the upper range based off of studies.

Attempting a 48 hour fast which I started at 4am today, which will last until saturday morning.

Between midnight and 4am I ate 1418 calories which consisted of 123g fat,61g protein, 26 net carbs.
Most of the calories consisted of Thin sliced chicken breast lunch meat, 2 slices of white american cheese, and probably 4tbs of mayo.

(I basically was making makeshift sliders without bread)

Checked my ketone and Blood sugar this morning (8:20am) after having an energy drink. Blood glucose is at 90 and my Ketones were at 1.5.

Very interested to see if these stay elevated as it gets deeper into the day/my fast.

GKI index currently is 3.33

Thoughts: This is about to be my 8th week on keto without any slip ups. I’ve noticed my average ketone level has risen. Weeks ago I’d barely peak at 0.7-0.8, but now my low range seems to rest around 0.5-0.8. Around 1:30pm when I check it’s been around .9 - 1.1. Wondering if this may be my body becoming fat adapted :thinking: I was pleasantly surprised to see my ketone level at 1.5 this morning after that midnight meal+plus my energy drink. Early in the morning sometimes it’s .2 or lower, then it quickly rises as the day goes on.

(Karim Wassef) #26

How’d you get to 26g carbs on meat, dairy and mayo?

Oops I forgot to mention I ate 3 ounces of salted almonds.

I also purposely left out the small probably 1/3 ounce of lucky charms (7 carbs) and 2 vanilla wafers (6carbs) :grimacing: I grabbed lol

Update: Checked my levels again to see if the first reading was a fluke.

8:45 am

Blood glucose-85
Blood ketone-1.4
GKI: 3.37
Hours fasted: 4 hours 30 minutes

I actually feel slight hunger kicking in. A little shocking as I ate a pretty decent amount of calories yesterday to prepare for my fast.

(Karim Wassef) #29

Whenever I go over 20g of carbs, my hunger starts up again … it goes away in an hour or two.

I’m 60hrs in so the effect of my ~30g on Saturday & Monday has dissipated. :joy:

2:00Pm here.

Took a little nap in my car for lunch then checked my levels when I got back into the office.

Blood Sugar: 82
Ketones: .8
GKI-5.69

Time fasted: 9 hours 49 minutes

Ketone levels dropped some but so did my blood sugar.

(Ella ) #31

Hi Apex, What do you use to measure your ketones?