Are there some people who are just not cut out for this?

(CharleyD) #21

I think the only people who this can’t work for are ones with specific polymorphisms in FTO, and PPAR-alpha, and PPAR-gamma gene polymorphisms.

The cravings die down once you cut sugar and starches, and then the gut microbiome reconfigures to more LCHF happy bugs. When the high carb bugs die out, you will be able to more easily trust your hunger and appetite signals.

There’s no need to eat hunks of meat, although for time’s sake pan frying a steak is the quickest way I’ve found to get my tummy happy. Your mileage may vary.

It takes a little bit of imagination at first to examine menus and then plan what to eat, but I can with confidence walk into just about any takeout place in my area and come up with a keto meal. Sometimes just tossing the bun is the hardest part!

You may want to get a step counter or enable the one your phone may have, and try to get 7000 steps in a day without any extra effort. One easy trick I’ve stuck with to get steps in daily is to sip coffee/tea/water (with caffeine stopping after noon since I’m a slow metabolizer) throughout the work day and going to pee often.

In the end, if you don’t make the jump from pre-contemplative over to determination to implement this as a lifestyle change, no, it won’t stick. The back of your mind will just see this as a punishment.

http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/MPH-Modules/SB/BehavioralChangeTheories/BehavioralChangeTheories6.html

(Laurie) #22

Or make your own low carb ice cream as a treat once in a while. Recipes abound. I used to have an ice cream maker and would make ice cream with whipping cream, water, gelatin (easier than eggs), and sweetener, along with vanilla or other flavoring. Or you can use sugar-free jello. At the time I used artificial sweetener, but if I were to do it now I’d use stevia.

(John) #23

This past weekend I stopped off and picked up a couple of pieces of cheesecake to bring home to my wife. I did not succumb to the temptation. They were for her, not me. She ate one that evening and one the next day. However, the seed was planted in my little brain.

So last night, to shut it up, I had some impromptu “keto cheesecake” which was just 1/4 container (2oz) of Trader Joe’s mascarpone cheese (zero carbs), sprinkled with nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and a dollop of whipped cream (from a can - I haven’t found any sugar-free versions yet so it did add 1 gram of carb), a handful of crushed walnuts (about 4 grams of carbs). I had skipped breakfast and had a light lunch and dinner, so needed a few extra calories anyway.

It was quite lovely, with the barest hint of sweetness from the canned whipped cream, but not enough to trigger anything.

(CharleyD) #24

This is quite possibly due to needing to replete your body of the nutrients the first child took. This is the primary beneficial purpose of the bone broth.

(Isa) #25

Oh I feel you. I have a 2 yr old and a serious carb addiction. And I was raised vegetarian, so I don’t like a whole lot of meat. What works for me is eating eggs (really solid nutrition) in butter (my kiddo’s favorite food too, we eat this probably 3 or 4 times a week), lots of bacon, and I try to keep cured meats and good cheeses on hand or I will give in to the toddler snack foods. I also discovered I do best on less than 15 grams net carbs a day, usually below 10 grams. Anything over triggers my eating disorder.

Someone above said to commit to it for 4 weeks. This is what finally broke my back and forth on keto. Four weeks isn’t very long in the span of a lifetime. I also keep in mind why I am doing this (kiddo) and what I want to teach him as he grows up and faces these same human struggles.

(Amy Ramadan) #26

Seems to me like you should have a huge motivation to want to do this: your children!!! If you can’t find a way to do it for yourself, which you absolutely deserve BTW, then do it to be a happier, healthier version of yourself, to be around longer for them while setting a good example at the same time!! Adress each of your “issues” one at a time as to not overwhelm yourself , once you have one goal achieved move to the next!!! Baby steps!! You do have one thing you didn’t have before, this forum which is full of supportive knowledgeable people who will do all they can to help you succeed!! Feel free to send me a private message if you wanna chat, or just whatever!!! You got this girl, just have a little confidence in yourself!!!

Here’s an idea that might scare you into your committment – get yourself a blood glucose meter and check your blood sugar level 30 minutes after one of your sugar-laden lapses. If you know anything about insulin resistance and diabetes, and their consequences, it might make you realize that you would rather be a healthy mom than a sugar plum.

Sometimes it takes knowing when to wake up from your dream.

(Lauren) #28

These are all great ideas, and the support I feel makes me feel like I want to do this (and stick with it!). I plan to start Sunday after I stock up on some groceries and prepare. My husband is NOT the dieting type and even he is interested in doing this with me this time. I think that will make it easier.

I have a Fitbit and my goal is to do 6000 steps today, and just not go crazy with any junk food. Eat “sensible” and take a walk at lunch (even though it’s only 9 degrees right now!)

(Jennibc) #29

Your motivation isn’t there because sugar and other carbohydrate consumption have robbed you of it. They have an insidious effect on your brain over time. They are laying the foundations for things like Alzheimers disease right now. You want motivation? Look at your kids. Do you want to know who they are at end of your life? Do you want to live long enough to know your grandchildren? Do you want the energy to parent well while they are young? These are all things you are giving up when you choose to have those cookies or eat that pint of ice cream. It’s really not about the 30 pounds, it’s about the quality of the rest of your life.

Habits are very hard to change, but once you change them by replacing them with new habits, the willpower you had to use to employ changing them, is no longer necessary and this way of eating is fairly easy. You just have to adopt the mindset that you DO have power to say no. And say no for good. I asked a friend who was struggling to give up sugar as she had moved into prediabetes, do you smoke? “Well of course not” she replied. Why not? “because it’s really bad for your health!” she said. That hit her. She went Keto this past summer and is down 30 pounds. She only has another 20 to go. And she is almost 50. She did it for her health but is also reaping the benefits of an appearance she is happy about.

Don’t think in terms of weight loss and vanity because that’s not enough to keep you going. Think about what your life will look like as you get older. I am 52. I am in better health than I have ever been in and have more energy than I have ever had. I get compliments from strangers about my hair all the time (it looks fabulous since I adopted this way of eating). People regularly mistake me for about 10 years younger. Back when I was 40 I had people asking me if I were my son’s grandmother! The inflammatory properties of sugar and grain and the oxidizing properties of seed oil will age you faster.

As far as emotional eating goes, I read a great book just about three years ago that gave me a new way to look at stress and stopped anything close to emotional eating I’d been engaging in. It’s called “The Upside of Stress” written by a research psychologist out of Stanford- she shows how we think about stress in the moment we are having it, affects the chemicals our bodies produce and that just thinking about what is going will make stress much more manageable. It’s worth a read and it’s probably one of the most valuable books I’ve ever read - and remember I am old!

Also, what we tell ourselves about ourselves is very powerful. If you are telling yourself that you can’t handle this after a week, because it’s ‘too hard’ then you won’t be able to. If instead, you say “I know that for most people it takes a couple of weeks to break through sugar addiction and I can do this because a lifetime of well being is worth two to three weeks of feeling like crap” you are more likely to succeed.

If you need more motivation, watch “That Sugar Film” or read “The Case Against Sugar”

I sort of eased into this way of eating by default, I’d cut out grain years ago then upped fat three years ago and then cut out all added sugar in March but still had fruit every day. Dropped the fruit this past summer to an occasional treat. Doing this lifted my life long anxiety/depression/ADD. Seriously, what we have been prescribed our whole lives as ‘healthy eating’ has robbed many of us of too much to list. Think in those terms, about what you are giving up by not correcting course right now. You are still in your prime, you have a great opportunity that a lot of us didn’t have because we came to it later.

You need more motivation, go look at the before and after pictures and see people who were morbidly obese who have moved into HWP to slim territory. They could do it. It was hard for them too. You just have to tell yourself that you are worth it. Your well being is worth it! Your health is worth it!

(Frank) #30

I hope this doesn’t come across as harsh but unless you have a spouse who at the minimum is in full support of your efforts, this will likely not become a lifestyle change that you can sustain. If you’re trying your best and you’re getting eye rolls from your partner while they eat a bowl of pasta, I don’t see this working out for you. If you are as much of a carb addict as you say, like many of us are btw, having that food in the house at all is a quick road to failure. Your spouse needs to understand your concerns and support you in any way they can. They will if they care about you and your health.

(Frank) #31

Read this after my last post. Sounds like the hubby is more on board. This is awesome!!!

(Mark) #32

You may be one of the 10% of folks that do better on high unrefined carb/low fat.
ie: Rice/Potatoes no butter (McDougall Diet).

(Daisy) #33

As a recovering (severe) sugar addict, I just want to caution you on sugar replacements. I finally (after YEARS of trying and failing) gave up sugar 2 years ago. When I started keto (the first time) earlier this year, I mistakenly fell into the sweetener trap. It triggers (for me) almost all the addictive buttons that sugar does. Not as severe, granted, but sends me down paths I don’t want to go. I am now 2 days “clean” (lol) of sweeteners, for the third time this year. I went through this same battle for recovery with sugar, but it is easier with sweetener. I don’t go through withdrawals at least now.

I treat my sugar addiction as it is: an ADDICTION. I have the knowledge that one bite is the same as one drink or one hit. Not going to happen! I’ve worked too hard to beat this addiction. It makes it easier to say no. That also was what helped my family be more supportive of me giving it up, when I explained it to them that way.

I have been foolishly telling myself it isn’t the same with sweetener (hence 2 days clean of a 5 week bender), but I’ve finally (I think) convinced myself to give it up for good. fingers crossed

One week into going keto my husband decided to join me, and I credit his support and cooperation for my success so much. He is a great sounding board and he has never once tried to sabotage me. Thankfully we are having similar success and like a lot of the same foods.

I tried other diets, including South Beach, MacDougall, Scarsdale, etc. But this is the one that has given me the best results beyond the weight loss (almost 40 lbs in less than 6 minths) - less joint pain, improved focus, more energy, etc. Since I love pasta I was not too optimistic when first starting, but found lots of great ideas for making keto work.

(Frank) #35

This is amazingly good news. It certainly is easier when the people around you are on board as well. Good deal!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #36

I still find this to be such an amazing gift. I thought after having a bone marrow transplant 3 yrs ago that I was just messed up and would be stiff and painful forever (I’m 43). Now I hop out of bed and move around like I did before I got sick. Glad you are feeling the benefits too!