Anyone use a food dehydrator?

(Christopher Kornelsen) #1

All jerky has tons kf carbs in it so I was thinking about making my own jerky for snacks. Anyone do this and have any tips?

Nonsense.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #3

Ya well I cant find one brand with less than 4g if carbs let 3 peices

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Check out this thread

:cowboy_hat_face:

I make my own Jerky for both my family and the dogs. I also dehydrate my own, herbs, garlic, and onions. For the Jerky I use to use London broil but now I use ground beef or mixed beef pork.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #7

Why do dehydrated herbs work well?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Because you can store them in the cupboard for year round use. And dried herbs sometimes are more intense for cooking, fresh herbs for adding at the end or sprinkled on top. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

@Rajseth has some good jerky recipes. He might be willing to share . . . :cut_of_meat::chicken:

(Raj Seth) #10

They are all posted here

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

:+1: :dancing_women::dancing_men:

Go to the Recipes forum and check them out—I can testify they are good!

I’ve done quite a bit of beef jerky in the past, but not recently. I recall using soy sauce or Braggs aminos, mixed with Worcestershire sauce, let it marinate a day or two. I recall adding in more curing spices though…think the pack was from Cabela’s.

I know I used thin-sliced flank steak for the meat. One of the books I had recommended that particular cut for jerky. It was fantastic.

thanks for the reminder! I’ll have to try that again when time allows!!!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

I’m planning on getting a dehydrator in the fall for jerky. Store bought low carb choices are great (https://peopleschoicebeefjerky.com/) but too expensive. I’ve made jerky in a electric smoker but the dehydration aspect is not strong or consistent enough.

Natural drying probably is best but I don’t have the space and I can get batches done and put away quickly. I should have mentioned I did make pickles and then cut them up into chips and made pickle chips worked really well. I will be doing cucumbers and tomatoes this weekend I like to experiment.

(bulkbiker) #15

And the very first item that pops up is biltong… which has far fewer carbs than jerky which is usually sweetened in some way… please note the usually as I’m sure you can find the odd exception…

No, I use my oven at its lowest temperature. I made pemmican with it the other day and it turned out good.

Hmm. The first two items when I click the link both say “sugar free” and “carb free”.

In the past, I’ve gotten beef sticks from Sogo Snacks:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #18

People’s choice is very good but $$$.