Anyone know how to cook sheep brains so they are delicious?

Butcher has them today but I have no idea how to cook them!
I am assuming they are nutritious but don’t really know…

(Bob M) #2

Brains are supposedly very nutritious, and the carnivores who have eaten brains seem to love them.

I don’t know anything about how to prepare them, though.

Reminds me – I have to cook that pork’s head I have.

I have the impression my local butcher is excited to have a customer who will buy stuff that’s not for barbecue-ing.
I explained I am on a carnivore diet at my doctor’s insistence and they are pretty happy about that too.
But their cooking recommendations with sheep brains involved breadcrumbs.

Good luck with cooking the head Bob!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Often the butcher will have suggestions for how to cook a particular cut.

(Bob M) #5

Boy, it is hard to find recipes for lamb brains. This one is brains and eggs:

(Do a search for “brain”.)

It looks like fried brains is popular, though those recipes use bread/wheat coating. You could substitute ground pork rinds, but the frying aspect can be tough to do.

Thanks Bob M, perfect. :grinning:
I have never found pork rinds, I will search or maybe make my own!

Thanks Paul, the butcher thought breadcrumbs for frying.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I substitute almond or coconut flour in place of wheat flour for dredging, and crushed pork rinds in place of breadcrumbs (for things like chicken parmigiana). They work pretty well.

(Michael) #9

I just fry them up on butter. Sometimes I make scrambled eggs with them, which I call scrambled brains.

(Bob M) #10

Marion, where do you live?

You can make pork rinds, as they are made from pork skin I think. It’s just a bit of work, and easier to buy.

In fact, it’s actually easiest to buy something like this:

Even finding rinds and then putting them through the food processor won’t necessarily get the nice texture these have.

Thanks everyone.
I used to use almond and coconut flour.

@ctviggen Bob M I live in Sydney Australia.
I just ordered some pork rinds on the Internet. The are quite expensive here but I anticipate enjoying them!!!

The Pork King ones linked look good for crumbing with…but they aren’t available. The ones I ordered are local and I will grind them up to use as crumbs.

Thanks Michael.

I can fry in tallow, doc has removed a lot from my diet, hoping it is temporary but not clear. If you can fry them in butter and enjoy eating them, then tallow should work too.

I will report back in a few days1

(Nasir) #13

Here is one recipe, just use ghee/butter instead of oil

Thank you so much Nasir! :grinning:
Looks like a fabulous recipe.