Anyone have a keto BGL ratio for metabolic health?

Wasn’t sure where to put this.
I track my BGL because I was type 2 diabetic diagnosed in the 90s and insulin resistant forever. I am out of the type 2 range, however, I am still in the insulin reistant range when last tested.

This morning my BGL was 3.7 before coffee and my ketones are 3.
As far as I recall this is the closest these 2 numbers have come to meeting up. I think it is also the lowest BGL I have registered in all the years of testing.

Is there an ideal blood ketone:BGL level ratio for metabolic health on a keto diet?

I’m primarily carnivore these days because it is working to reverse GI ailments very effectively… I do make occasional forays for raspberries etc if my skin gets rashy.

I’m eating when I am hungry and have some fat to burn although more interested in my metabolism than my appearance tbh.

Fasting inadvertantly at present due to mother’s poor condition and long hours by her bedside.

I keep up the water and am not feeling physically bad at all.

2 hours later and BGL constant at 3.8 and ketones down to 2.4…which supports my idea of not really needing the glucose levels at the recommended 4 level (Australia) because I am running on ketones now.
If anyone has some idea on this…would be grateful if you share it. @Richard?

Reason it matters to me is advice (from diabetes associations here :upside_down_face:) is to eat carbs or jelly beans if your blood sugar goes under 4.

Obviously I don’t want to do that.

Since I take no diabetes meds I am thinking I am on solid ground with my approach but has anyone else been 3.8 and fine on keto?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

That’s crazy it goes against fixing your diabetes.

Thanks David.
I think it is crazy…I think a lot of Diabetes Australia’s advice made me sick when I followed it.

Trouble is I don’t have numbers/parameters to rely on, now I am in ketosis.

I will KCKO.

(bulkbiker) #5

yep I’ve been down to 3.5 mmol/l when fasting with no bad effects… you probably won;t be there for long mine went up to over 4 the next day…

We had a nice discussion about redefining what is and isn’t a hypoglycemic condition here:

TL;DR
Ketones allow the brain to use way less glucose so the standard definition of hypoglycemia can be ignored as long as you’re not showing symptoms. Also, for some people just starting keto, it’s possible to feel symptoms without being technically in a hypoglycemic state.

Thanks for this link and info carolT.
It’s pretty interesting. BGL up to 4 now, blood ketones 3.7… and my BGL meter stopped working tonight! Maybe a message there.

I do feel fine, not lightheaded or shaky.
I am coping with massive stress really well and my very wrecked knee with no cartilege is not hurting…which is weird! Thinking straight…walking straight. :smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Thanks very much for that link Regina. :smiley: In Oz our meters measure mml per litre for BGL and the Keto Mojo site seems to be different measure (which I don’t know at this stage how to translate to). I put my numbers in and got an amazing reading but realized it is probably inaccurate.
I am glad I relied on my overall health progress and how I felt rather than the magic number 4 still being promulgated by diabetes associations in Australia as indicating when type 2 diabetics should ingest carbs.

I had my first whoosh and lost a few kilos overnight.

I have been keto for a while now and never had any of the famous whooshes I have read about here.
So, it seems to me my 3.7 and 3.8 readings were a very very good thing for me. My BGL ws up to 4 by early afternoon but I didn’t feel at all out of order at that lower level.

I did end up eating chicken wings and pork belly yesterday, quite a substantial ammount for lunch and dinner and have finally got on board the regular keto express! :smiley:

My hypothesis is that this may be an indication that I have finally busted through my insulin resistance. If so I am delighted because I had a serious dilemma about whether I needed to take Metformin in this endeavour.

Seems to me this is a fertile area for a serious researcher! It has been slower for me than many people but it has worked. I do think my body really needed to heal from years of insulin resistance and diabetes due to medical and dietary misinformation that I followed til it was obvious that it was nonsense and harmful. Can’t believe I have got this far with my reversal tbh.

At this stage it is KCCKO for me…I am keeping calmish and carnivore ketoing on. I look forward to eating a few veggies in the not too distant future. :smiley:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Goldilocks glucose zone

BrAce/Glucose ratio

Thanks Michael, fabulous information!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #12

I’m in the states. I’ve been insulin resistant for some time and am slowing breaking through that condition. I’m measured 69 mg/dL (3.83 mmol/dL) before. My ketones don’t run as high as yours. No side affects from that BGL.

Usually when fasting on 70 to 90 mg/dL (3.9 - 5.0 mmol/dL).

Thanks Eric I can use that number! :smile:

Hi Carol,
I just got back and read the thread you kindly linked and it is really helpful and informative.
Many thanks! :smile: