Any Vicarious Cheaters Out There?

(Robin) #1

I find great satisfaction in buying my hubby foods that I no longer eat but still love. Just watching him enjoy it, and yeah he lets me smell it. Weird? I do the same thing with alcohol. Scotch still smells divine and it’s been years.

I don’t have a food I still love and never eat but I definitely like my SO eating food I don’t consider toxic for him but I don’t want to eat it for some reason :slight_smile:

I smell food I don’t want to eat too :slight_smile:

It has pros and cons of having a high-carber in the house. It makes things both harder and easier for me but I definitely would miss out a few things without… And while I enjoy making super easy carni food for myself, I do like cooking and baking a bit so it’s good someone eats it. And I enjoy my fruit garden but my own consumption is pathetic so it’s good someone eats that too.

But usually I eat the food I love and he eats the food he likes (yeah, only like, poor soul hasn’t nearly as many 9-10/10 meals as I have). NOTHING beats pork and eggs and dairy. Nothing. Certain other things are very worth to eat here and there (especially fruits. not healthy but tasty and I can handle it in moderation) but I actually eat what I really like. But I do have times when only he eats something nice, I am fine but it’s good to see and smell and whatnot. Alvaro isn’t the one who spectacularly enjoy things or talk much about his approval but I do get some info and it’s nice to see he is well-fed and likes the food :slight_smile:

And I will buy some whisky again, my fav has such a wonderful smell I could get away without actual drinking :smiley: But I never had a booze problem and I am unable to pour more than 30ml at once and I only remember drinking a few times a year so I can drink too… But why to waste it when smell is enough?
Sometimes I go and smell peanuts in proper carni times… I like the smell more than the taste now and I wonder if smell always played a big role… I only like well roasted, salted peanuts. Lovely smell.

(Laurie) #3

I quit smoking 30 years ago (except for a short relapse 20 years ago). I like the smell of cigarette smoke. Smokers are always moving downwind or doing other antics so I won’t be “bothered” by the smoke. No! Don’t leave me …

Yes, lots of food looks or smells nice.

(Eric) #4

My wife does not eat low carb and I buy her things she likes that I no longer eat. Just the other day she wanted apple turnovers. While the smell of them baking in the oven brought back memories, luckily the temptation to actually eat them was no longer there

(Veronica) #5

I gave up bread, all things gluten, and still miss it when I smell it. I stop myself eating it because I remember that my body felt just lousy ingesting gluten. In fact I am still waiting for the result of a coeliac blood test. But the smell of fresh bread … It still lures me. So I fully understand. Old cravings are like ghosts now and again coming back to haunt and taunt, but mind over matter I say, and if that doesn’t work building firm habits surely will.

I couldn’t resist for sure. Baked apple things are super delicious… I have memories.
I am in a nice middle ground. I can bake, smell and sea nice things - but usually nothing I can’t resist. (Except bread sometimes, I STILL find it nice and if I experiment with a fluffier or eggier, fattier one, pretty great. I didn’t like it nearly this much in my high-carb years but I didn’t bake it myself then. Fortunately my SO loves a dense, eggless inferior bread - it has too much sesame to be not dense - so I manage not to eat it up every time… As it still has some charm with butter and some juicy pepper or radish… Not good for me but tempting.)

I have no problem with gluten, it’s the carbs, they cause various problems, the less the better as long as I am not super bored or irritated with my limited diet (total and animal carbs don’t matter, just non-animal net. and peanuts are special, they are bad too).

I really need to ensure nothing really, really tempting finds its way into our house… Some items are just too much for me. But I am evolving. And if it’s “carnivore November” or some other month I am determined to do carnivore, I am good (in the first 2 weeks, at least).
I plan a loooong carni time this winter, hopefully that helps with stupid desires a lot. BUT as long as I can’t start eating carbs and have some good food, I am pretty fine.
Oh and it’s not just smelling and seeing others eating stuff, I am very sure talking about them helps me. I talk very much about sweets and fruits on this forum. Maybe bread too. I still have a long term relationship with them, I just don’t indulge often except the fruits (I don’t even desire them much but they are there and mine…). It’s good one can desensitized if facing the same carby items around ALL the time… Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

(Pete A) #7

I can’t look at a tray of lasagna

I have fond memories of sticking a big spoon in there!

Even just thinking about it!

Fortunately I never had lasagna in my life :slight_smile: Sounds nice though.
Pasta is ridiculously easy, I just use eggs and it’s almost the same feeling than back then, just tastier. The texture is different though and I miss mascarpone, just the shape, I wouldn’t want the stuff at all, I can’t even buy it made without water, full with eggs… Sometimes I wonder if I could make some handmade lil tubes but I am too lazy for that.

Hmmn. You know…I really don’t have any foods that I no longer eat but still love. It’s like…I recognise I used to love some foods…but now the only foods I love are the ones I now eat.