Any ideas why I might be dizzy this time?

I am totally hydrated. Skin is not dry at all. My blood pressure is 122/61. My SpO2 is 97%. My body temp is 98.4F. My blood glucose is 75 mg/dL. My blood ketones are 2.3 mmol/L.

This is the best blood glucose / blood ketones I’ve had yet I feel this subtle dizziness I don’t understand. Any ideas what it might be? Before in the past it was low blood pressure due to dehydration… but I don’t have that now (I’ve had it as low as 80/50 before due to keto + diuretic drug, which I’m no longer on).

Could it be that my brain is not used to running of a higher percentage of ketones than before? Since I am in more of a higher state of nutritional ketosis I imagine my brain is running more off ketones than before. I’lve been at this level of ketosis before but never with blood glucose down near 75 mg/dL. (I’m type 2 diabetic).

I’ve been eatng about 60g protein and 15g net carbs every day for past 4 days. Plenty of fat. At least 80% fat.

Btw, it doesn’t feel like a false hypo that sometimes diabetics get. No shakiness or claminess…

I took a hydrocodone about 2 1/2 hours ago and I don’t usually ever get dizzy from that at all… but maybe that drug mixed with high level of nutritional ketosis could cause dizziness?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Its possible it was the hydrocodone. Also, how are your electrolytes?

I don’t know about the electrolytes. I eat avocado every day so should be good on potassium. I eat a lot of salt. … i even snacked on kerrygold butter slices sprinkled with salt. I think I’m good on Mg… I’ve drank a lot of magnesium water for a few weeks and soaked my feet in epsom salt.

I get dizzy only if I eat too little salt when I go into ketosis (but I don’t even know what hydrocodone is).
Maybe you think you eat much but it’s not enough for your body right now…?

(Katie) #5

Besides the electrolytes/over-hydrating, are you under-slept?

(traci simpson) #6

Perhaps you need more electrolytes. Do you have seasalt?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Try getting 4-6 grams of sodium a day, including the sodium already present in your food. Four to six grams of Na translates to 10-15 grams of NaCl (table salt). This level of sodium intake has been shown to be the healthiest part of the risk curve in several studies that have come out in recent years. Most dietary recommendations are far too low, in particular the U.S. recommendation, which is dangerously low and results in a woefully inadequate sodium intake.

Keeping your sodium in this range will also help regulate your potassium, magnesium, and calcium.

As far as liquid intake is concerned, drinking to thirst should be sufficient. Avoid setting some arbitrary target for yourself, because these recommendations come from the manufactures of sports drinks, who have a monetary incentive to get you to drink more.

Professor Tim Noakes, the noted marathon runner, physician, and sports nutrition researcher, was the first to promote adequate hydration for distance runners, but once the juice companies started promoting the idea, runners started ending up in hospital and even dying from over-hydration. Dr. Noakes has since been forced to amend his advice to “drink to thirst” and has apologised for having started the whole thing in the first place. (He has also apologised for advising runners to load up on carbohydrate and has revised The Lore of Running to promote a ketogenic diet instead.)

I do eat quite a bit of salt. I salt my food appropriately, Gordon Ramsay would approve. I sprinkle salt on some grass fed butter for snack. Anyways as I mentioned above my blood pressure is good, so it isn’t a low blood pressure issue. Usually if you have salt depletion it is low blood pressure which makes one dizzy.

(Troy) #9

Electrolytes already mentioned

But w the above Macros
Could it be not enough protein and or too much fat?
I’m not sure of your weight or goals
Could be a temporary 4 day imbalance Right now

Just a thought that’s all
Maybe change it up as a n=1

Good Luck

I guess I technically need no food at all. I am 200 pounds overweight. I have lots of essential amino acids and fatty acids stored no? Think about all that excess protein in the skin and from overly muscular legs to support all this weight. I seriously think 60g is more than enough protein for me… I want at least some of this skin to be used up as I lose weight.

(Bunny) #11

Do you get dizzy frequently?

People will say just eat salt but the dizziness comes from low physiological hydrostatic pressure that a higher carb diet makes up for in fluid retention.

If you mix a little bit of table salt with the water your drinking then the dizziness goes away, at least it did for myself.