Another Vegan company bites the dust... losing millions in the process

(Alec) #1

Heather Mills blames ‘litany of lies’ as vegan empire collapses

VBites founder says celebrity campaigns have driven fall in demand for plant-based food

Daniel Woolfson11 December 2023 • 5:19pm

heather mills

Ms Mills founded VBites in 1993 after giving up animal products following a traffic accident CREDIT: Kirsty O’Connor/PA Wire

Heather Mills has blamed the “gaslighting” meat industry for the collapse of her vegan food empire.

Ms Mills, who previously stated ambitions to turn the North East of England into the “Silicon Valley of plant-based foods”, said in a statement on her website that she was “devastated” as VBites prepares to file for administration this week.

VBites was founded in 1993 and describes itself as the “original plant-based food pioneers”. It makes meat-free sausages, burgers and fish fingers, and previously had a supplier deal with McDonald’s.

Ms Mills criticised celebrity campaigns promoting dairy products and the meat industry for fuelling the decline in demand for vegan foods.

Ms Mills wrote: “One of the major issues the plant-based market needs to tackle is the galvanised and well-funded marketing of misinformation currently being undertaken by the meat and dairy industries – and sadly backed by select celebrities who, in my view, should take their responsibilities as influencers much more seriously.

Advertisement

“Many of the campaigns we are seeing such as the ‘Got milk’ campaign by the dairy industry, joking about plant milk, insulting lactose intolerant people as well as ethical environmental animal lovers, are well-funded gaslighting initiatives that detract from the facts and sow the seeds of doubt in consumers who deserve to know the truth.

“The plant-based industry needs to take a lead from the dairy industry in unifying its voice but as a force for good and promotion of the facts – as opposed to a litany of lies and misinformation.”

Ms Mills, who is the ex-wife of Sir Paul McCartney, added that a combination of “corporate greed and poor management”, the cost of living crisis and rising prices were also to blame for VBites’ collapse.

In 2021, Ms Mills sold a 25pc stake in VBites to Pfeifer & Langen, the owner of German food company Intersnack which counts Tyrrells crisps and Hula Hoops among its brands.

Advertisement

She added: “It is unsurprising and inevitable that where profits are to be made, amorphous corporate entities will follow and unfortunately their practices too often undermine the entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility and agility of movement that saw plant-based entrepreneurs have so much success.

“There is too often a tendency to treat their investments as short-term experiments and opportunistic flights of fancy, embalm them in restrictive governance and then either walk away or enforce a takeover when the market hits a bump.”

meatless farm

Meatless Farm was acquired by VFC in June amid declining demand for vegan products since the pandemic CREDIT: JASON CAIRNDUFF/REUTERS

Ms Mills founded VBites after she gave up animal products as an alternative therapy to traditional medicine, claiming it aided her recovery from the 1993 traffic accident which caused the loss of one of her legs.

The company, which owns three factories in the North East of England, sells more than 140 different products to supermarkets, as well as catering and hospitality businesses, exporting its products to 20 different countries.

Since the pandemic demand for plant-based food has slowed and numerous vegan food companies have collapsed, including Meatless Farm, which was bought by a rival brand, VFC, in June.

Big food suppliers such as Nestlé, meanwhile, have axed some of their vegan products, while supermarkets have cut back the number of lines they sell. Pret a Manger has closed most of its “Veggie Pret” stores.

When the sausage maker Heck cut its range of vegan products from 15 down to two earlier this year, its founder, Andrew Keeble, said: “The public somehow wasn’t quite ready for it yet. They didn’t want all that veg in the sausage.”

Ms Mills said she had invested “tens of millions of pounds” of her own money into VBites and tried “every solution I feasibly could to keep it going”.

She added: “Anyone that knows me well, knows the blood, sweat and tears that my team and I have put into the business, for the sole purpose of furthering the plant-based movement, of which we have been the pioneers for over 30 years and effecting a major shift in global human health, the preservation of the environment and the protection of animal welfare.”

(Geoffrey) #2

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Now that’s interesting. Wasn’t the “Got Milk?” campaign around 15-20 years ago?

I toned down the thread title, out of respect for our vegan forum members. Let’s remember that vegan keto is indeed possible, with careful planning and proper supplementation. And let’s also remember the Golden Rule and treat others as we would like to be treated.

On the other hand, I won’t shed a tear for a corporation that was feeding the public ultra-processed food. But I’d feel the same about a company that was trying to sell ultra-processed meat products. The more whole, real food on the market, the better, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think meat-based bread substitute, or textured-meat muffins, or plant-free chocolate bars would be any better that what VBites was selling.

(KM) #4

I read Silicone Valley, and thought, “Yup, that right there, your whole problem.”

(Edith) #5

I’m willing to bet that these things were unpopular due to the taste and not “gaslighting” by the meat industry. In fact, I feel like the meat industry needs to get their message out more, because I never see meat promotion in ads or the general media.

I would also think that a true vegan doesn’t need or want those kind of products.

A lot of excuse making in this woman’s statement.

Her company was bought by a rival company making fake meat. This means the other fake meat people were better at selling fake meat than this company here.

As the market for fake meat shrinks, some companies react better than others, and some companies go down faster than others. It’s not because of the milk ads. It’s because they could not survive in a difficult market.

As an anecdoctical reference: in the company where I work, two years ago there were fake burgers at the summer party and people discussed what was still pretty much of a novelty. Last years there weren’t any, and nobody missed them.

There will always be a tiny market, but the bubble has burst.

(Geoffrey) #7

That statement alone speaks volumes about what’s going on around us.

Ummm, plant diet advocates would never spread misinformation would they?
Ah, yes my word they will Unsettled Science

I can imagine having vegan prinpicles (whatever they are) and truly wanting to eat plant-based while desperately wanting some meat emulation. Not fully, I don’t get it either as I am not like that, I didn’t eat “fake meat” (to me, meat is either real or doesn’t exist but we all understand what I am talking about) as a vegetarian either. I LOVED pork, always considered good pork with the proper fattiness the tastiest food possible - but I loved pork itself and only pork resembles pork…
I have no problem with people eating (not too processed, there are homemade versions. they are somewhat processed but I don’t care about that level) imitation food if that works for them. Once I saw a “fake salmon” recipe and it sounded nice (and NOTHING like salmon, obviously. but some reviewer said it’s good! they never tasted salmon before so they couldn’t compare but they liked it)…
I love my “fake” recipes of all kind, that’s why they are my recipes - but almost none shows much resemblance with the “original” (I consider them food in their own right). So I don’t get fake meat but I am very much aware that we are different. So many ketoers consider cauliflower a good subsititute of rice (while they aren’t even remotely similar… well at least both are watery carbs and white-ish but that’s about it…), I saw people saying celery works instead of potatoes (they both have a quite strong and extremely different flavor so it’s super odd to me…) etc. So fake stuff works for some. And disappoint others. And some of us are just fine with the differences. But overprocessed, overpriced things? I can’t like those. And I don’t see why it is so hard just to eat honest plant food but each to their own. I do make carnivore biscuits and bread so maybe I have no right to talk :smiley: But I have WAY fewer items than even on my few plant-based days (and those were low-carb too)… And I like baking… :stuck_out_tongue: And variety in crunch. But it doesn’t matter, I am fine with being creative. Even the stupid vegan creativity where one tries to replace a fatty protein with pure carbs (occasionally full with sugar), it’s so crazy and I can’t imagine it “works” often… But it’s good entertainment sometimes.
Now I know it’s not only our flavor perception that is super different but our sight too. For some reason sometimes I get vegan YT videos among all the dinosaurs, music and history and last time it was fake salmon from tofu (another thing I didn’t eat as a vegetarian except in miso soup. it wasn’t good even there. but tastes differ, I get it). And people said it looked just like salmon! It didn’t resemble salmon if you ask me… The color, the obvious texture,. the pattern, everything was very off…
But people who eat much meat usually aren’t so happy with factory-made fake meat either… Maybe vegans who didn’t even see meat closely since a decade are easier to fool. Or not, some vegans refuses fake stuff too, I saw some hating fake “cheese”. And that’s not even so bad, once I made an almond thing and it was edible as almond is good. It didn’t resemble any kind of cheese I like or know, of course :smiley: Fake stuff has a hard time with me as I always was very sensitive to differences, even the real items don’t make it sometimes as they are vastly different too and not always good enough for me.

By the way, I still couldn’t try not homemade “fake meat” or fake cheese. It’s more expensive than the meat/cheese I like so I just say “when I will be more curious… or these will be cheaper”. I have that since several years :slight_smile: I am sure I won’t like it so why to waste money? But maybe one day they go on a big sale and/or I get super curious… Maybe not. It’s not that important.
We don’t have the fanciest kind though, I think… And while the supermarket papers ethusiastically show their variety, the actual stuff is very little and doesn’t seem to be particularly popular. We have lots of vegetarians and vegans (not a huge percentage though. but significant and visible) but most people just eat meat. And many vegetarians and vegans don’t eat imitation stuff… But I never read a survey or something about it, I am kind of curious…

(Alec) #10

I am also pleased to report that my company is pulling out of plant based cheese because the market for it is much smaller than anticipated. And frankly it is a pain in the arse to make.

When we first started making this abominable fake food (a concoction of awful ingredients, and the epitome of processed crap), I said to my bosses that we were utterly crazy. Milk is an allergen, and we were making a foodstuff that is milk-free in a damned cheese plant…. ARE WE ■■■■■■■ CRAZY??? If we got this wrong, we could kill people…

Fortunately, thus far we haven’t got it wrong (as far as we know), but it is not a risk I care to take as a senior manager in the business. I am very glad we are getting out of it for lots of reasons, not least to improve the health of our customers.

(Robin) #11

Good for you!!!

(B Creighton) #12

I don’t really know a thing about Vbites, but I’m dead on with you here. Any kind of “empire” in food, is probably using processed food, and I don’t really care if it is plant based or not, everything man does to food is generally bad. Man-made fats turned out to be very bad, and man-made carbs like maltodextrin are very bad. I think the plant-based burgers, are going to turn out to be worse than meat burgers… they are generally full of GMO oils, etc. And I do hope anyone making this kind of stuff does go broke. We need to get back to simple, whole foods, but apparently, there is not enough profit in it… That said I do think there is room for some minimally processed foods, and I do use some like xylitol, etc.

(Alec) #13

I agree. I did express that feeling rather too enthusiastically in my original title for this thread but the Moderators thought I was being a little too joyful! :joy::joy::joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Come on, Alec, it was just the title of the thread we toned down, your actual post was fine. Gloating ill becomes you, anyway. You know we love you. :smile: :bacon::bacon:

(Geoffrey) #15

Of course there is. Many foods are “minimally processed” and have been for centuries. Bacon, sausage, hamburger, yogurt and the list goes on. As long as it doesn’t contain sugars, fillers and seed oils I’m good with it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

If our great-grandmothers could have made it from scratch, it’s food. If it takes a factory or high-speed milling equipment or extensive refining, it’s what Michael Pollan calls an edible, food-like substance. The slaughtering scene in Little House in the Big Woods has always impressed me with what two people and their kids could do to process and preserve every bit of meat from an animal and to preserve vegetables for the winter.