Another post on weight loss or lack of

(Kate M James) #1

Hi all, I realise this may be tedious to see another post like this and it maybe like others I could be overlooking something critical. Since beginning keto last early autumn / fall, I lost about 3 kg over a few months, going from 70 kg to 67 and I waver around there and have done for a while now.

I was initially concerned about keto numbers but was assured not to be overly obsessive about the figures.

So… breakfast is coffee with lactofree milk (I’ve kept this going because of its low sugar / low carb content); and I make keto rolls which are made with almond flour, arrowroot flour, eggs, butter and some seasoning which includes salt and stevia so they approximate brioche type rolls. I did read an early post about stevia so I’ll just park that in a box for now.

Lunch - well today it was a green salad with coleslaw, bit of ham, chicken and tuna.

Tonight’s meal is planned to be steak with bearnaise sauce, asparagus and green beans.

I do sometimes have a glass of wine, sometimes cheese and keto crackers (made from the "Real Meal Revolution cookbook, so all seeds). Sometimes I don’t have a proper dinner and have that instead. I do also make avocado berry shakes which are made with 1 avocado, a handful of berries (yes, I realise they have some carbs) a dollop of cream and carb-free almond milk, a spoonful of ground flaxseed and psyillium husks. That in itself leaves me feeling full for a long time (4 hours or so). I do feel hungry at certain times outside of these meals / snacks.

What I have found is that the keto diet can constipate me esp if I have lots of eggs as sometimes I’ll have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast, hence the psyillium husks.

I’m 58, post menopausal and am 170 cm / 5’7" tall, I run 2-3 times per week, walk my dog every day so am fit but just not losing the belly fat and I’m finding it a bit frustrating.

Should I be eating more fat? I track my calories from time to time on myfitness pal and I’m pretty much below 1300 but I cannot eat any more. I drink water throughout the day, a warm water on waking as I’ve learned it kickstarts the metabolism… I often drink green tea during the day as well.

At the weekend I sometimes lapse with a burger dinner or have sweet potato but wouldn’t have thought that would be a huge setback (I only eat one half of the roll)… unless I simply need to be “stricter”…

I’ve had hypothyroid tests which arguably come back normal…

Short of just accepting this is as it is, I’m not sure what to do next. Thanks all who reply!

K

all I can do is list the things you are eating I would not, other than that you already know you are under feeding.
lactofree milk, or any milk, keto rolls, to high carb in excessive nuts, stevia or any sweetener of any kind, make sure salad dressing has no hidden sugars, watch seeds can be high carb,

you are very low on fat and this will increase you calories

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

One of the causes is low sodium. Remember that the kidneys excrete sodium faster on a low-carbohydrate diet, so we need to work on keeping our sodium up. It should help the constipation.

(Deb) #4

See my post on Stevia. I just broke a year long very frustrating stall.

It drops your bloodcsugar which can cause an insulin response.

I also quit soft cheeses, all nuts and nut butters, dairy, and Crystal Light/flavored drinks.
The fat loss was immediate , amazing, consistent, and is still going strong 11 days in.
Also, a good number to know is your GKI…Glucose-ketone Index. 6-10 is optimal for fat loss.
Mine was 25 before changes.
Now it is around 8.

I agree with the other’s suggestions. You could try really strict keto for a few weeks, tracking everything rather than the perhaps lazy keto you’ve been doing?
Just to add also that @CFLBob posted in the June IF/ EF fasting thread JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome
that he broke a stall with ADF (alternate day fasting)- have a read of his post towards the end of the thread, sorry, I’m not very good at doing the quote thing! Maybe fasting might help?

(Kate M James) #6

Thank you for the helpful replies. I do track religiously for a few days, I’ve upped the fat content (avocados, cream, olive oil), if I ever have stevia as a sweetener it’s in a berry shake (avocado and berries). From this reckoner I’m eating pretty much spot on. I use MyFitnessPal to log everything plus if I invent a recipe I log all the ingredients.

For a couple of mornings I had a berry shake for breakfast- that was great at getting me “regular”. Then I went back to my keto rolls & things slowed down. Weight has stayed constant-ie no loss. Fasting is something I’ve thought about but I get so uncomfortable if I’m hungry…