Another Newbie 😊

Hi all,

Been thinking about doing this as a lifestyle change for a while. This week I’m preparing and learning anything I can that might help. So fed up with being fat, drained and feeling older than my years. Turning 50 soon and want to enter my fifties feeling in control.

Any support very welcome :blush:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Hello and welcome! Congrats on working to regain control over your body and metabolism. I find this forum to be very helpful and supportive and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here. This is a good read for newbies. Best of luck!

Thank you Beccs, will read it now x

(Cranford Coulter) #4

I have been on keto for 3 months now. I have found it to be the easiest way of eating in my life. I am almost never hungry. I can eat bacon. What’s not to like? My Type 2 diabetes is in remission. My blood pressure is down to healthy. I’m leaner. And I am doing it mostly on food bank food.
Listen to the podcasts.
It really is easier than it looks.

Really hope it works for me although I know it’s going to be a challenge. Having said that, I love a good challenge and don’t like to lose :grin:

(Wendy) #6

Welcome a board! You will find it to be the best choice you’ve made. Just be patient and dont give up if things dont go as expected. Its different for everyone. Good Luck!!

(Ellen) #7

Welcome Chezza :grinning:

(Jeff) #8

Welcome aboard. I turned 50 in feb.
After starting keto in March I lost 2 stone or 28 pounds. That was in 12 weeks.
It really does work, but you have the expect a stall or even maybe gain a little weight back, but if you are patient in a matter of months you will change forever.

Hi

I’ve already decided not to weigh myself as that advice is repeated so many times - then I won’t know if I’ve stalled. Am going to keep quite firmly to the guidelines. I tried a 48 hour fast a few weeks ago and felt fab so can always do that again if I feel like it’s not working.

My biggest hurdle will be giving up sweeteners as I’ve been having them for decades.

I hope it’s as effective for me as it was for you.

Chezza

(Jeff) #10

One thing you might want to try is tie some string round your waist.
And every few weeks repeat this and you will see the string get shorter. Whatever you do, all the best to you.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

I started out using measuring tape once a week.

Good luck giving up sweeteners.

(David Brown) #12

I tell my clients to go and buy a cheap pair of jeans about 2 or 3 sizes smaller than usual. Nothing beats the look on their faces when they can get into them

(Jill F.) #13

Welcome @Chezza I am crowding 45 and post menopausal so I was convinced this keto thing was so not gonna work. I started Dec 27th and have been thrilled with my results! I keep it really simple, I eat a lot of steak, butter, green veggies, carbs under 20 a day and I have lost almost 40 pounds and over 30 inches in size. It can be done and it has been the easiest lifestyle change I have ever attempted.
I recommend to get a fabric measuring tape and if you are going to weigh only do it every week or two. I started my lifestyle change (not diet) on a Thursday so that is the day of the week I measure and weigh. Dont do it more often or it will make you crazy.
Be prepared to feel like death for a few days as your body detoxifies. There are many threads on here to tell you how to survive it and ease symptoms.
Lastly come here often for ideas, advice, and support! This is a great little family! Welcome!

(hottie turned hag) #14

Yep me too and with great results (60+ lbs lost, numerous other unlooked for benefits).

@Chezza my weight problem commenced only after menopause and was quite sudden; I have zero hx of weight problems prior to so I know in my case it was endo in nature yet I still fixed it and with the quickness, with keto, which I did/do a loose, simple version thereof. Don’t make yourself nuts with minutiae (unless focusing on such detail helps you and doesn’t make it more stressful as it can sometimes do), I can attest that simple worked for me until these last 10lb (am 116) and am now having to tweak and modify #fml

(Jane) #15

Welcome Chezza!

Giving up sweeteners is a good thing if you can. I didn’t and use stevia in my coffee so it’s not a deal-breaker if you cannot. Although some people have more of an insulin response to them than others, so just a thought.

Good luck with your journey. I turned 60 this year, am down 35 lbs, maintained for nearly a year and feel better than I did at 40.