Anomalies in Nutritional Ketosis: Low Insulin & Glucose but Abnormal Lipids

(Dave) #21

Hi @kairos – just wanted to plug in a quick few thoughts:

1. Consider checking out my blog CholesterolCode.com and in particular how the few days just before the blood test is so impactful for the outcome.

Let me really emphasize this -> if you drop down in calories or even fast to a higher degree than you usually do before your blood test, you will likely spike your cholesterol and trigs (see blog for more details).

1. Can I double check that you didn’t misread or mistype that your trigs were 400? Are you sure it wasn’t total cholesterol (TC) or low density lipoprotein (LDL or LDL-C)?

(Samuel Ashford) #22

Thanks, Dave, for the input.

1. I’m a big fan of Jimmy Moore and through him I’ve become acquainted with your work. Thanks for reminding me about the blood test prep. Interestingly, I did a N=1 “mini-experiment” last October after all the high trig results, where I had basic Chemistry tests done a day apart, same lab (LabCorp). Day 1 I fasted, day 2 I did not - I ate a normal keto breakfast two hours before the test. The results? Day 1/2: Glucose 97/112; Total Cholesterol 551/541; HDL 68/73; Trigs 417/145. So, I get it about the input/outcome issue.

2. I wish I was wrong about the trigs. I’m all too familiar with the labs. When I said I have a lot of data, I have a LOT of data. On Jimmy’s podcast when you were a guest, I chuckled about the comment he made that you were weighing your food with a scale on the Low Carb Cruise. I own two food scales - one for the work truck and one for home.

I want more than anything to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the help.

(Dave) #23

Ah! Of course, I’ve only done blood testing while fasting (and even on that I try to stay at a very consistent 13-14 hours every time from last meal to blood draw next morning). So you likely created a confounder by eating, but I couldn’t say much more than that as it is a lot of speculation via chylomicrons vs VLDLs at that point.

So I’m gonna go a little deep here, but I’m guessing by your comments you can follow me down this rabbit hole. While my blog and research may appear to be mainly about cholesterol, that’s really just the gateway drug to the actual Matrix – which is energy management! That’s what moves around the cholesterol apportionment via lipoproteins which you’ve probably seen me remark on a lot in my other comments.

With regard to energy, in your shoes I’d be asking if there’s a reasonable and proper reason my body would have that level of trigs in the bloodstream. My first assumption is that it is counterbalancing (or even overly so) a lack of bioavailability for glucose. But your glucose numbers, while lower than a SADer, aren’t too extraordinary. Moreover, there isn’t a lack of ketones either given your precision xtra readings.

My other suspect would be a stalling at around receptor binding where it hydrolyzes triglycerides via lipoprotein lipase. Note this is beyond my paygrade as I’m still very new to this area of biochem – but speaking from a general problem solving standpoint, you can at least conclude it isn’t a break within the TCA cycle of the cells themselves as they payload never appears to leave the lipoprotein in order to give you that reading in the first place. (Hope I articulated that right…)

The way I’d test the above outlandish theory given my previous data is to do my ultra high fat experiment. While the inverse correlation between dietary fat and trigs isn’t as strong as it is with cholesterol, it is still pretty significant (-0.466). And if you had very different results, that might suggest a dysregulation.

(Rick) #24

Hello all, am I wrong that I think Pattern “B” LDL is the small, more atherogenic type of LDL particle and that the Pattern “A” is the Large “Fluffy” type?

(Ross Daniel) #25

no, that is correct. Pattern B is BAD and Pattern A is basically benign.

(Ross Daniel) #26

I also live in Memphis, TN. I have not had a need to find a keto doc or at least one that is on board with LCHF style diets. Aside from a functional medicine/wellness practice my Google Foo came up with next to nothing. But, I may be going about searching the wrong way, who knows.

I’m not as science-y as all these other folks here, but I like the idea of doing the low carb diet you did previously which gave you good results.

(Samuel Ashford) #28

Thanks for the input!

I agree. That’s definitely going to be my next step, if the full blown hard core ketosis I’m trying first this year doesn’t pan out.

But still, even though I need something that works, I want to know why it works. It’s one thing to “eat this” and “get this test result”. It’s another thing to understand the biochemical machinery. That’s what I’m really after: understanding what’s happening inside my body.