Annoying Breakfast Advice from High School School District

Super annoyed that we just got this message about a healthy low-fat breakfast in the weekly email from my son’s High School - trying very hard not to respond! If they were really concerned they wouldn’t be serving sugary crap in the cafeteria :rage:

WELLNESS TIP:

Now is the perfect time to consider forming new habits that can help you live a healthier lifestyle. While some habits, such as controlling spending, may require self-discipline, others, like making healthier food choices, can be fun and delicious. Start each day with breakfast. Fuel your body and your brain with fruit, low-fat milk or yogurt, whole-grain cereals, and lean protein like eggs. You can even start eating veggies early with a delicious mushroom-and-spinach omelet. Help your student fuel themselves to have a great day!

(Liz Ellen) #2

Yep. We’re swimming upstream. I was at a conference on Friday. Breakfast was pastries. Lunch was sandwiches with chips, cookies and an apple. Afternoon snack was fruit and brownies/cookies. There was nothing for me but black coffee and the guts of a roast beef sandwich dipped in mayo.

I guess it’s good that your school approves of cheese omelets?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #3

I’m a high school teacher and I can tell you that your son’s school has no control over fat or salt content, those are laws at the state level. Of course they don’t have to celebrate the bad science that exists at the state level, that was their choice.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I would write the school district that they have no business telling you how to feed your kids with the junk they serve at school. Tell them to keep their bad unhealthy eating advice to themselves, that you love your children too much to advise them to eat in a way that promotes metabolic syndrome and all the diseases people commonly die from.

It won’t do anything but if people started telling the school that what people feed their children at home is none of their business maybe it would change. The intrusion into people’s family lives at home gets worse and worse all the time.

Sorry about the raving. I have an autistic son and the garbage that was brought into the classroom was an ongoing issue, he was the only gluten free kid at the time. We were early in that respect and some of the parents fed those kids the worst garbage you can imagine. One girl only ate Chicken McNuggets and M&Ms. I don’t understand how those became options for feeding an autistic child. And the class had constant parties with a sugar and pizza fest every time. :rage:

(bulkbiker) #5

Well at least they’re including whole eggs…?

Seems to be because they think they’re “lean protein” :frowning:

(Sheri Knauer) #7

I was going to say at least they didn’t suggest an egg white omelet…

Yea, those eggs more than likely came from a carton or a box.

I’m a kid. I remember learning about the food guide and it being put on our fridge.

I strongly dislike the food guide now, especially my country’s new one. 10% of our population is vegetarian/vegan. That plate makes me think of rabbit starvation. If I ate like this I would be hungry all day and my body would be killing me with awful symptoms.

Here are some older versions

Notice how it says “liver, heart or kidney once a week”, “fish liver oils are essential for children”, “butter, 2 or more tablespoons a day”, “eggs (one daily preferred) and cheese at least 3 times a week” and how they didn’t mention low-fat milk or only egg whites.

My kid is on the spectrum as well. We definitely went thru a stage where all he would eat was Chicken Stars from Carl’s Jr.! Now he eats everything and enjoys a good steak :slight_smile:

(Susan) #11

It is really sad that the schools and mainstream society is still adhering to the old Food Guides. It is especially disheartening as the future generation is still being taught by the system that these are the foods that they are meant to be eating!

We have the are youth like @KidKeto that knows better; and is on a valiant crusade to try and help and educate others about Keto, so there is hope! I personally am hoping that a lot of teens and even adults see his Instagram/Youtube channels and actually try Keto!

He has made a video that he posted today on here, that everyone should check out, it is excellent.

This is the link on the forum to the video: