America’s Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

As long as it’s effective for me…

( Hides under blanket… }

(David Cooke) #3

There is talk of making any vaccine (which I suspect will be about as effective as 'flu vaccines) obligatory. The Chinese system of social credits will be used to enforce.

(Rebecca ) #4

They will have to catch me and hold me down…

(Stuart Young) #5

That is something I have been hearing about in hushed whispers too.

Take the vaccine, or lose my job and home. I don’t think we are far off from seeing how accurate Mr Orwell was…

(Rebecca ) #6

Does anyone remember the movie, “I Am Legend”?

(Scott) #7

I’ll likely take the vaccine but I won’t be in the initial round. I want to see this next trial works out first.

(Kevin) #9

Let them really get all the bugs worked out… :+1:

(Bunny) #10

Hopefully a motivator for overweight peeps to drop some weight.
And maybe a motivator for some medicos to explore more effective ways for their patients to drop weight…

And Dr John Campbell has a sane update on the Covid statistics in Spain and elsewhere.

Discouraging and very sad to me personally that “Euthanasia aren’t-I-clever Cummins” is still being quoted round here…I feel for those people whose deaths are being smugly dismissed as irrelevant statistics by him… when they are in fact dead human beings, many of whom were vulnerable due to being metabolically unwell …as most members of this forum (before losing weight) were too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I suspect that it’s not obesity per se that is the problem, but metabolic syndrome. Dr. Lustig has pointed out in numerous lectures that there are plenty of metabolically healthy obese (MHO) people out there, and a corresponding number of metabolically ill thin people (TOFI—thin on the outside, fat on the inside).

I’d certainly be willing to be a test subject for a vaccine. I figure that the company developing the vaccine would be under a great deal of scrutiny during the development phase; it’s once the vaccine entered mass production that I would be concerned about quality controls.

But my other concern is the reading I did early on, which suggests that the SARS-2 coronavirus mutates fairly rapidly. I wonder how effective a vaccine could be, in the light of that fact. Would it be like influenza, where we need a new vaccine every year, in order to keep up with the new viral strains?

I just had a message that a friend has volunteered as a double blind trial participant in England, which I was thrilled to hear.

Apparently not like influenza fortunately, cause this particular virus has an inbuilt control that stops it producing flawed RNA/DNA…sorry can’t remember if its deoxyribonucleic or ribonucleic …anyway, someone will know and correct me, please. The little nobby bits that look like the top of snails antenna don’t mutate rapidly I believe so a vaccine will work. Plus good news is a vaccine for the Chinese variant will work on the European virus (I recall John Campbell saying in one of his Youtube talks recently) and vice versa. The virus in US is I believe the European variant.

NYT coronavirus update today says differently because someone had Chinese variant (mildly symptomatic) and then later tested positive for different European variant (asymptomatic but positive test). I think the conclusion they drew that this means a vaccine won’t be effective is shown to be incorrect by the research referred to by John Campbell recently, sorry I don’t have the broadcast ref but it was recent and seemed conclusive that vaccine will work across due to the stability controls inbuilt into the virus.

Dr John today on the one case. I really adore this man. :grinning:

(Bunny) #15

I was reading about this earlier, what was interesting is the reinfection was symptomless which is good to know “…that’s what should happen…” according to the experts.

closed #16