Am I fooling myself?

(Robin) #1

I use this in my coffee (with my HWC). Any red flags, aside from the word keto on the packaging? I may not know all the names of sugar substitutes….

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Looks as though it’s just stevia extract and preservatives. Should be safe enough, if you don’t mind the preservatives.

You’re right to wonder, however, because I’ve seen stevia blended with sucrose in the supermarket and still labelled (on the front, at least) to make it look as though it were sugar-free.

(Robin) #3

Yay. It works for me with no side effects or triggers. So I am relieved. Thanks.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Short answer: You just told us here that you “Never got too excited about sweets”. :eyes:

Longer answer: It remains my opinion that sweet serves no useful purpose and the sooner lost the better. I think the bigger issue is pandering to sweet - although some pandering results in worse outcomes than others. That’s for you to decide.

I used to purchase a decent sized bottle of Liquid Stevia from Amazon, that did pretty well, and in my opinion worked as a great Keto substitute for sweetening things. Such as my Wife’s Barbeque Sauce, or in Iced Tea, etc… … Problem is, as they were selling more of it, they upped the price a little, but then they changed the recipe altogether, and it now takes 3 or 4 times the amount to sweeten things. So at $18 a bottle, the value of it dropped dramatically in my eyes, and I no longer purchase it.

I agree with Michael, for some, it is best if they can get away from sweeteners altogether, since it does tend to keep that sweet tooth around. But I can also drink Coffee, Tea, etc. without sweeteners. But the occasional sweetened Tea is nice here and there. … I have some Stevia & Monk Fruit here at the office, but again, don’t use it often, and I can’t even recall when was the last time I even use it?

And as you can see, it does state Carbs <1g, so there is a trace amount… and at home I actually use Truvia mostly, which is made from Stevia. But I find the Stevia powder form to have an after-taste I’m not real keen on. So the Truvia has a lessened after-taste, and they sell it at our grocery store. But no matter which of these I use, I never use any of them in anything, unless it’s while having & during a meal itself. … To me drinking anything sweet, or using sweeteners outside of meal times itself is akin to snacking, since it is said to spike insulin just as with any consumption of carbs.

Just Stevia with the word Keto added. Companies are trying to get as much out of Keto as they can before it looses it’s fad status which seems to be rapidly approaching.

(Robin) #7

Hey, good catch, Michael! I said I never got too excited about sweets. So, you are right. Because I do indeed get VERY excited about my morning cup of coffee. My bad.

(UsedToBeT2D) #8

Looks okay to me. However, I am trying to tritrate off artificial sweeteners. It is very difficult.