Am I doing this right? KetoDiet

(April Patrick) #1

So I just started the keto diet today. I did fairly enough research I thought but I’m so confused as to the macros. What I plan on eating would be the following:
Breakfast- 3 egg omelette with 2 turkey sausage patties(no carbs) eggs made with a tbsp of organic butter
Lunch- half a chicken breast pan fried in a tbsp of butter with lettuce avocado and a handful of organic cheese plus some ranch on the side
Dinner- a turkey burger pattie with a scoop of riced califlower and green beans

For a snack I’m thinking making a fat bomb made with coconut oil peanut butter and dark chocolate

Does this sound like a good diet to get me into ketosis!? Thanks all for your advice.

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

Worry about keeping your net carbs below 20g a day before being concerned with ketosis. Eat LOTS of fat.

(April Patrick) #3

Based off my calculations I was under 20g but I’m also using mfp idk how accurate it looks. Does this look like it would be under 20g?

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

My response was based on your desire to get into ketosis. This will happen naturally if you keep net carbs under 20g. Your meals also look high in protein and low in fat which is why I said to eat LOTS of fat.

(Michael ) #5

Looks great. Note that Turkey and chicken are low fat and high protein so eating them with butter like yiu did is helpful. Or choose meats with higher fat. I can understand liking chicken though, i eat it a lot. Turkey is really lean and high protein so better avoided unless you really like it. You can always compensate by eating less turkey or chicken and adding butter or olive oil, but you can make it easier by just eating pork sausage. It’s more important to enjoy your food then hit macros though, so I wouldn’t make too many sacrifices. If it’s not sustainable, not much point

(Zoe ) #6

It looks like a great start. Sometimes it can take days or weeks to get into Ketosis. But you have carbs below 20grams for the day so that is the way to go. You don’t have to eat if you are not hungry but having meals planned like this is how I would start too so there is food for me to eat if I am hungry. At the start your body is adjusting from using glucose as fuel to using fat as fuel. I am sure you have read up about it. This could take a while. So as you will be using fat as fuel eating fat at this stage is particularly important. You may find that as the days pass you need or want less fat. If you are still hungry at the end of your meals eat some more butter, olive oil, cheese or some of your fat bomb until you feel full. That will help your body know there is food available. You will probably find that after a certain point it is very hard to eat anymore so don’t be too concerned about eating too much.

(April Patrick) #7

Thanks for the input ! Just read all these responses but it’s been a couple weeks and I am according to my strips in ketosis ! I’ve been switching up a lot of my meals but breakfast has stayed the same. Adding a lot of whipping cream sour cream and cream cheese really did the trick I think !

(April Patrick) #8

I also for some reason only like turkey sausage lol not a huge fan of bacon either but I may add a couple slices into a salad. Another question for all you guys is have you used any supplements? I’ve been adding salt to my water and it’s SO gross. Also bought magnesium pills which I plan on taking at night. Anything I’m missing?

(Ken) #9

A multivitamin is always a good idea. Since it’s been a few weeks you should be through the major adaptation, so you might go back to salting your food normally, you can always add it back in. How much weight did you drop? You should have lost glycogen by now, but high salt can hide it.

(Rob) #10

This is a range of plausible supplements. Of course, one should aim for getting much of this through food (e.g. high salt food like Halloumi cheese or Kale for K2 and others) - though that can be hard, hence the supplementation. I’m listing the ones I consider CORE to keto.

• Electrolytes - CORE - Sodium (salt), Potassium (e.g. ‘No Salt’ salt replacements), Magnesium (pill or powder, many different forms - citrate, oxide, etc.) CONSIDER - Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Selenium, etc. (usually in a good multivitamin)

• Vitamins - CORE - D3 (High dose for most e.g. 4000iu), K2 (important for absorbing key minerals like Ca, Mg, etc.) - CONSIDER (depending on specific issues/gender/etc.) - B-complex, E, folate, C etc. (many in a good multivitamin)

• OTHER - Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon juice (teaspoon of each taken in water) to reduce alkalinity which is supposed to have all kinds of negative effects on the body. You can combine these with some of the other supplements (like powdered Mg) into a KetoAde -
    KetoAide homemade

There are a ton of other things you could take and drive yourself crazy but most face off against specific health issues rather than just making Keto work. Some disagree with most supplementation citing that most is not absorbed well so creating expensive pee but I do the core stuff and placebo or not, I feel better for it and keto is progressing well.

TL:DR - Good broad multivitamin, D3, K2, Mg, extra salt/No salt - of these, Mg and Hi-dose D3 are probably most requiring of supplementation (+ the multi)

(April Patrick) #11

I haven’t really been weighing myself but I went to the doctors about a week ago and had lost 6 lbs. I say that’s a good start! And yeah probably going back to salting my foods because the salt water is almost unbearable.