Almond and Coconut Flour

(Juanita Rice) #1

I hear a lot about these flours being used to replace all-purpose flour which I know is not keto, but are almond and coconut flours really keto?

Yes, used in appropriate amounts. They have few enough carbs that they can be used in certain reasonable proportions without causing you to go out of ketosis.

They still have some carbs, and at least the almond flour really doesn’t work exactly like wheat flour in cooking, so you still need to watch what you are doing. Basically, it’s similar (even if there are reasons to believe not exactly the same) to eating whole almonds, which are also ketogenic in the right amounts. Too many almonds, or too many with other carbs, and you will not remain in ketosis.

Coconut is similar as far as I understand but probably has a different range and usage. I hate the taste of coconut in general, even the light taste of it, so don’t have much experience with it.

Both have a fair amount of fiber, so the net carbs generally work out ok.

Related to baking:

I no longer use almond flour. I prefer the taste and texture of products made with coconut flour, but some people don’t. Coconut flour is cheaper, I need to use less, and the final product has fewer net carbs.

Some coconut flour recipes I use (or plan to try).

Note: Coconut flour is very absorbent

The general rule of thumb is that you only need 1/3rd to 1/4th as much coconut flour as other flours (e.g. almond), and for each cup of coconut flour you substitute, you may need to add up to 6 eggs and up to a cup of liquid.

Yes - they are ok for keto.

Coconut flour has a more net carbs than almond flour per 100g however you will typically use less coconut flour than almond flour for the same recipe.

You may also prefer coconut flour if you are sensitive to oxalates, kidney stones or high omega-6 foods.

That said, coconut flour has a sweetish taste that some people do not care for.

While they are both ok for keto…you still need to make sure they fit within your personal carb limit for staying in ketosis.

(Laurie) #5

For what it’s worth: I don’t bake any sweet treats, and I can’t eat almond or coconut flour. However, in savory recipes that call for flour, I’ve experimented with using grated parmesan cheese (the powdery kind that comes in a cylindrical container). For recipes that call for small amounts of flour – such as meat loaf or tuna-crust pizza – parmesan has worked well. But where flour is a main ingredient, I don’t think it would work.

Crushed pork rind can also be used as a dry ingredient or coating. Happy experimenting!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Yes, learn more about this topic here: