Allergies and sensitivities

I am allergic to eggs and almonds and have a sensitivity to dairy and peanuts. Thoughts on whether Keto could still be an option for me or not? Dairy seems like such a huge part of this way of eating. Thanks for your insights!

(John) #2

You could just eat meats, poultry, fish and other seafood, and vegetables/berries/salads.

I never eat peanuts and rarely eat almonds. Unless you are determined to make baked goods that use almond meal, you could get by fine without almonds. I eat walnuts and pecans occasionally.

Losing eggs and cheese would be tough, though.

So sure, you could do it. It just reduces your choices a bit.

I am dairy free and currently egg free (doing an elimination test). I honestly can’t remember the last time I ate a nut. It is possible. Just eat meat and vegfies. (Don’t forget to add some fat!)

There is a wide variety of foods which work for a keto diet so dont’ be afraid to explore.

Eggs, almonds and butter are not essential, they’re just a very quick and convenient “go to” option.

You are meant to get most of your 20g net carbs (or 50g total carbs) from veggies. You can get protein from meat. And instead of butter, how about coconut or olive oil …

Definitely drop wheat. Not only because it’ll bust your carb count too quickly but everyone seems to devleop antibodies against modern wheat, so leaky gut and immune issues and allergies follow.

Where you always allergic to those items or did you developer issues down the track?

(Allie) #5

Plenty of people do dairy free keto, I think you could make it work easily. Just meat, non-starchy veg and whatever fats you want.

I have been off of gluten for years and only discovered my other food allergies/sensitivities when I had testing done about 2 years ago

You don’t need any of the things you mentioned to eat well on a keto way of eating. Take a look over some of these and see what you could eat from those groups:

(Shanda) #8

If you search dairy free on the forum there are lots of posts from people who are doing dairy free keto. Maybe some of those will help you with your decision.
Personally I don’t like nuts so I don’t use them. I even tried baking with almond flour and couldn’t eat the finished product because all I could taste was the almond flavor.
Egg allergies are pretty common so I’m guessing a lot of people avoid that too.