All of a sudden, rapid weight loss

weight-loss

(Liz) #1

I’ve lost six lbs in the last seven days. I havent lost weight at this rate since the first month of keto, and I’m at month five or six at this point.

It feels so improbably and impossible, but it’s been essentially a pound a day lost every morning when I check the scale. Maybe it’s just a whoosh but I’ve also been doing more cardio and 100 situps a day with other calisthenic/movement exercises. Usually in the morning I’ll have a tb of butter to start the day and then SO MUCH COFFEE with exogenous ketones- I’ve just started using the Brain Octane Oil, so maybe that’s doing something helpful. My first real meal of the day is at 1pm where I have 3oz tritip microwaved with 2 tbls and salami/prociutto and some blueberries. Later on I have some keto cheese crisp or a fat bomb. You know, at the end of my day somehow I always get my calories at around 1500, and my macros are always 70% or above for my fats and i keep my protein at around 20 percent. Usually do less then 20 carbs.

So, maybe I’m just hitting my stride here. Here’s hoping I keep losing weight at this rate, I’ll be where I’d like be even quicker.

SW:250
CW:213
GW:190

(German Ketonian) #2

good for you! Just be careful not to overdo the cardio and decrease calories - this would certainly lower your MR.

(Liz) #3

Thank you! I keep it moderate generally.
What is MR?

(German Ketonian) #4

MR=Metabolic rate

You should listen to the 2KD episode with Megan Ramos on how to “switch it up”. It explains the metabolic slowdown quite well! Be sure you eat enough and compensate for your energy expenditure, albeit keto, of course!

probably metabolic rate

(TJ Borden) #6

That’s more than I’ve done in the last decade

(Liz) #7

I was initially doing 30 a day as apart of my workout routine but then one day I became curious at how many I could do until I couldn’t anymore- and that number was like 120. So I just started doing 100 more regularly, it got easier the more I did it, and now I do that much every day. Feels good.

(TJ Borden) #8

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt for me to try a few. Since my last comment I realized that “decade” should have been “decades”.

(Liz) #9

hell yeah dude, just start out gentle and curious about your capacity, don’t punish yourself or be disappointed- try and stay inspired so you nurture a desire to do it every now and again. Eventually you build confidence and try other stuff. my original workout was a reward system. I’d play overwatch and when I lost I would do five squats and when I won I would do ten squats. I wound up doing a lot of squats because I’m prideful and wouldn’t ever actively try and lose haha

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

This kind of thing can happen. I actually got all bent out of shape one day last year, when the scale suddenly started showing my weight as 20 lbs. lighter than it had been the day before. I thought at first that the scale was messing with me, but apparently not. It was the first and only time that kind of sudden weight loss has happened to me. I wouldn’t complain if it were to happen a couple more times, . . . (sigh) :slight_smile:

(Liz) #11

Thanks for stopping to reply Paul,

It’s crazy when something like this happens, right? I think I finally hit the end of that weird fast losing streak. I gained back half a pound this morning. Weirdly enough, I’m not mad. I feel like things are back to normal and I can track my loss at a sane rate. At the same time… lol. It was a nice surprise. I think it’s a reward for our hard works, a backlog of reward from all those slow losing periods- all saved up for one big delivery.

(Liz) #12

By the by, why would cardio lower my metabolic rate? I do notice that more exercise for me slows my weight loss. I like the exercise though, so I shrug it off as a cost of feeling good. But, I would have expected my metabolism would be in a better spot because of working out. Why body, why?

Swooshes are SWELL! Congrats on keepin it movin!

Like you, I’ve always been someone who can do tons of crunches (with jaw dropping reactions from trainers) - despite my nice think belly fat. I think it has to do with my extra-wide hip bones. Also, I recently learned that easy ab crunching can be a sign of diastasis recti, which I seem to have, only from physical overexertion in the past, not postpartum.

Though situps may be helpful for some initial core torso awareness, they’ve been proven to do very little for muscle development and mitochondrial activation - and can make diastasis recti worse acording to Judith Tupler PT. Doug McGuff MD and slow burn trainer Fred Hahn encourage the spending of crunches time & energy instead on … slow weight lifting :smiley:

I wonder if he was referring to your calorie intake, instead. Too few calories will cause your body to slow down metabolism, but I don’t think a healthy level of enjoyable exercise will slow it down, but not sure. I keep hearing that we should never use exercise to lose weight, but should do it for general health only.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

No, it won’t slow your metabolism. In fact, by stimulating the growth of new mitochondria in your muscle cells, it will actually speed it up.

The only reason not to use exercise to try to lose weight is just that it doesn’t work. The amount of exercise required to burn up just a few food calories is massively discouraging. Exercise is great for you in many ways, it’s simply not likely to help lose much weight. That’s what keto is for!