Again Harvard, really

That’s one way to look at it.

(Bob M) #22

I can honestly say that I’ve never eaten “intuitively”. I ate an extremely low fat diet (aka Pritikin) for decades. Egg whites, rice cakes, pasta, brown rice and beans, fat-free everything, etc.

Then I went into a SAD diet.

Then I went to Atkins multiple times, but thought I “had” to have carbs to exercise.

I’ve now been on low carb/keto for 6 years. During that time, my meals have changed dramatically. I started eating a lot of crap keto food, not understanding that PUFAs were bad, eating lots of vegetables, tried resistant starch/probiotics, many, many, many different variants. I now eat primarily meat and some veggies sometimes. Usually two meals per day, sometimes one, sometimes none.

Never in my life have I found eating to be “intuitive”.

Furthermore, I find intuitive eating (if such a thing exists) to be bad for you. My kids “intuitively” love crap like sugar, fruit, chips, ice cream. I “intuitively” love that stuff too.

I’d be dead now if I continued to eat “intuitively”.

If anyone has any scientific evidence that PUFAs particularly O6 and linoleic acid are in any way good for you, please present it. All the evidence I can find is against this.

(Jack Bennett) #23

I don’t get the difference between eating “intuitively” and eating “impulsively”. If I ate according to impulse, especially around thanksgiving and Christmas, I’d be back to my SAD weight in a few months. But maybe there is some more restraint and rules around “intuitive eating” than I’m giving it credit for?

(bulkbiker) #24

Agree 100% I’m afraid it just seems like an excuse to me…" oh I can’t be bothered to change what I eat so I’ll eat “intuitively”"… all the crap I want…

(Jack Bennett) #25

I have a copy of the Intuitive Eating book and I took a look back at why I felt a bit turned off by it. It repeats a lot of myths about keto diets and how carbs are the preferred fuel of the body.

I think learning your personal emotional signals and triggers is great advice for any person trying to resolve their challenges around food, especially highly habit forming food. But I don’t like how the IE book repeats lousy and discredited myths about carbohydrates and other macros. No, your brain doesn’t “need” 130g of carb per day.

I see what they are aiming at: there are no “good” or “evil” foods, a diet is not “virtuous” and chocolate cake is not “sinful”. I agree with that message. But I think their encouragement of erroneous information about human metabolism will make it hard for people to eat well. Keto and/or low-carb offers a better and more science-backed way forward.

(Central Florida Bob ) #26

Linoleic acid is required in the human diet according to the European Scientific Committee on Food (SCF) and the Food and Nutrition Board of the U.S. Institute of Medicine

In 2009, The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) published its recommendations for PUFA (203):

• an omega-3 fatty acid intake of 2 g/day alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and 250 mg/day long-chain omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
  • an omega-6 fatty acid intake of 10 g/day linoleic acid (LA).

From here. The Food and Nutrition Board of the U.S. Institute of Medicine goes on (1) to say the requirements for Linoleic acid in the adults is

Adults 19-50 years 17g males |12g females
Adults ≥ 51 years 14g males |11g females

As I understand it, the problem is people eating “conventional foods” get far more than that. I don’t want to say people eating the SAD diet because people who eat LCHF foods like store-bought mayonnaise or salad dressings get too much, too.

I think this is where the debate starts over whether the total quantity of W3 or W6 fats or the ratio is more important.

More details at:

(Edith) #27

Interesting article by Dr, Georgia Ede.

(Central Florida Bob ) #28

Interesting article, Edith.

I was following the Zone diet in the late 90s through early 2000s and Dr. Sears was adamantly arachiphobic. One of his main arguments for the diet was to reduce arachidonic acid. Not that I remember any great amount of details, since it’s 20 years since I read his books!

(Edith) #29

Yup, we did the Zone and Eat Right 4 Your Type. Each was really a small step towards Keto, then Atkins.

I don’t remember much except the ratios from The Zone Diet.

(Central Florida Bob ) #30

Yeah, I did Atkins first, then the low fat people scared me off and ruined all my improvements from that. I’ve been struggling to get back to my minimum Atkins weight for darn near 40 years.

My 40-30-30 turned to 33-33-33 and progressively less carb. Went fully keto for good in April of '15.

(Brian) #31

These types of articles have been back and forth over so many things so many times that it’s a lot like “crying wolf”. We’ve heard it all so many times… “Yeah, yeah, yeah… pass the bacon.” A huge segment of people who will read the headlines will not really take them all that seriously. Perhaps in this case, that’s a good thing.