Advice - Planned Non-Keto Meal

(Tammy) #1

A bit of background: I’ve been strict Keto for 161 day now and have lost 51 pounds. Which is amazing because I’ve hit an age where it seemed liked I just couldn’t lose weight. But Keto combined with fasting appears to be the ticket for me.

I have an event coming up and I am going to go off. It is my son’s graduation from Chinese Language school and I going to enjoy some fantastic home cooked Chinese food and maybe a little dessert. So we are talking quite a few carbs.

My question is would it be beneficial to up my carbs a bit in the couple of days before the event. Or since it is basically just one meal not worry about it.

Thoughts?

(Marianne) #2

Wow 51!!! I have been on it since January 15, 2018 but I think I have lost about 12, I don’t know. I am one of those people who refuses to step on a scale because I don’t want to be depressed. Now, I am not overweight any more but I still don’t know what I was before or am now. My doctors do, but I weigh backwards for them. . Before WITH my leg cast, a crutch and full clothes and one boot I was in the 150 range. That was last they said my weight outloud right before surgery for a broken leg. I was afraid to see again and that has been two years. I will in about a month maybe. I know I fit back into 9 juniors but that is about it.

Anyway, THE MEAL… I would just stay keto until the event and that is it, go back to normal after. I have not yet had a cheat meal so to speak but mine will be spaetzle in about a month. My step daughter is coming and she loves to make that with schnitzel for us. Your Chinese food sounds amazing! We went to the Chinese buffet every two weeks before keto haha, No, only keto Chinese food for me (stir fried cauliflower and beef and broccoli).

(Tammy) #3

I still have 25-30 pounds that I would like to lose, but I feel great now. The fasting is what seems to do the trick for me. I lost well in the beginning, but it didn’t take long before the weight lost came to a stop or at least slow enough that it felt like a stop. I watched probably every video with Jason Fung on Youtube and read his book and blog. I started with a 24 hour fast once a week (I was already doing IF most days), then 36 hours, up to 84 hours. I’ve never gotten higher than 3.5 days. I find, I am really hungry on day three. I try to fast for at least 36 hours every week.

I is funny about the weighting, it seems to effect everyone differently. I like to weigh every day, it helps keep me from straying. I know that my weight will fluctuate for no apparent reason, so I don’t worry too much. I chart my average weight for the week, as to smooth out those fluctuations. I love looking at that chart now

(Marianne) #4

I chart my foods and macros like that, in excel. Just really particular about it. I pretty much rotate through the same meals, they are really fantastic meals (such as last night was Creamy Garlic Spinach Porkchops) but I stick with easy things to keep my macros under control. My mom started a month after me and lost 10 lb, she has about 60 to go she says. She is not as particular about her macros as she should be. I really wanted to take (bra/undies only) befores, I did, but I deleted them because I was feeling all great about myself and then saw the photos and was horrified. I screwed up and had lip about 15 years ago and they did some really poor work. So my lower stomach and buttocks are dimpled and dented and no amount of dieting/exercise will fix that. I have done the Lemonade cleanse for 21 days before, other times 13 days and 11 days. And I swear to you keto has been a thousand times better! The only problem is when my electrolytes get affected and I feel jittery or shaky. Or waking up at 5AM with an adrenaline rush sometimes. That is annoying!! When you fast is it total fast just water or super low calories? I ask out of curiosity because I have done it all and am not going to anymore, but was just curious.

(Tammy) #5

Check out this recipe for ketoaid, it really helps with the electrolyte issue, makes fasting a lot easier. When I fast, it is just black coffee and water. Though this last week, I just didn’t feel like fasting so I did three very low calorie days with good results.

(Marianne) #6

Thank you! I had been using MIO but I think that is just filled with chemicals. (and Sucralose!) I had to start taking magnesium because I get cramps in my calves at night now if I point my toes, eeek! I notice I get that way with dehydrated (which is almost always) and not taking magnesium Thank you again for that recipe!

(Tammy) #7

Yeah, If I don’t take magnesium, I get killer cramps in my calves.