Advice on how to ease out of the diet

Sorry @thejohn,

I’ll depart with these thoughts … in this day and age there’s lot of alt-truth pseudo-science out there and the Internet is a minefield of mostly well meaning but very misguided advice.

If you listen for anecdotes while discounting the body of evidence from the scientific community you end up with nonsense that’s not easy to filter.

For example if you listen to anecdotes you might end up thinking that your child has the “evil eye” and to cure him you must shove some parsley in his asshole then say Hail Mary 3 times. This was an actual advice given on a Facebook group of misguided mothers trying to raise their children as best they can.

This might sound as an extreme example but even in this day and age people still believe in astrology and you can find plenty of anecdotes in support, after all, even a broken clock is right at least twice per day.

And I know that assessing the credibility of expert advice is hard, so here’s a handy list for you to start with:

http://www.stephanguyenet.com/quickly-assessing-the-credibility-of-public-experts/

In particular, whenever somebody mentions the source of funding, this shows a complete misunderstanding of how science is conducted and is a conspiracy theory by definition, a huge red flag.

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers,

(Full Metal KETO AF) #42

I’m not going to re read the whole thread, and I didn’t start the tangent conversation. I only reacted to some other posts.

(David Solberg) #43

My advice, to the extent that you can take it, is to take a deep breath and relax. I know from experience that overthinking this stuff doesn’t help.

The human body is very adaptable, which is why so many people are able to eat the common, but crappy high carb, low nutrient diet for many years without a noticeable problem beyond weight gain. Most real damage takes a long time. Short-term, your body can figure out how to use whatever you eat, so realize that there’s no emergency.

If you just focus on eating unprocessed foods, you’ll be ahead of most people. Low-carb is better, and keto better still. Do what makes your body feel good, and think long-term.

Also, for what it’s worth, you seem to be obsessed with salt. Listen to your body. Try salting your food more. If more salt makes you feel better, then use it. If not, then don’t.

Finally, realize that medical recommendations are built around the common diet, not a low-carb diet. Science is presented as fact, but really it’s their best guess at what will help the average person. And recommendations change, often radically. Also, individual results may vary.

(Todd Allen) #44

Funding matters. Here is but one of many studies of the phenomenon.
https://www.cochrane.org/MR000033/METHOD_industry-sponsorship-and-research-outcome

(Edith) #45

How can I see the entire article? I could only read the abstract.