Advice for a newbie please!

(Don) #1

Hi All,

Please forgive my ignorance as I am entirely new to Keto however do have abasic understanding of the theory behind it. I am a 34 year old man 5f 11 and weigh 226lbs. I have been following my diet for 5 days now and I am using my fitness pal to track my meals.

I am struggling to keep my protein lower than my fat intake. For instance yesterdays meals consisted in total of 110g of protein and only 60g of fat.

Can i still achieve ketosis on those ammounts? I am also cutting my calories to a max of 1500 a day.

Any help would be appreciated!

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #2

Ketosis is achieved by keeping your carbs down to less than 20g a day

Depending on your level of exercise bring your protein into the range of 75g to 125g.

Depending on your body. Eat fat to satiety but in the first stages I’d recommend 200+ Grams a day

I eat to my TDEE caloric needs (google TDEE) and using MyFitnessPal with carbs set to 3-5%. Protein around 10% work your fat upto 85% of your daily intake. I don’t recommend a caloric deficit.

Fat adaption will take a few weeks.

(VLC.MD) #3

Learn where carbs are.
I only counted carbs and didn’t count anything else.

No carbs for breakfast. Other than 1 Carb in table cream for coffee.

Can you post your MFP meals here ?

(Heidi ) #4
  1. Do your self a favor right out of the gate and DON’T restrict calories. Weight loss has much less to do with cal in and cal out than it does with having a high running metabolism (which you get from eating lots!!!) turn down the calories and you only lower the amount of cal your body is willing to burn.

2.As long as you keep carbs low enough to support ketosis you’re winning.

1. Add fat. Find foods you like that do this. I love avocados, pork rinds, creme freshe (some brands taste WAY better than others ;), Butter and MCT’s in the coffee, macadamia nuts, eat the fats that come with the meat you’re eating (many people cut it off or drain it…) You just need to find more foods with high (good ) fats!

2. example of cal in cal out complexity: I recently wanted to bust a plateau in my weight. I was doing intermittent fasting every day and eating all the right macros. I quite accidentally ended up eating too little over time and that’s why nothing was changing. HOMEOSTASIS
    I spent the next three days eating 3000+ and LOST 3 LB. Then I followed this up with a 3 day fast, lost another 2 lb and had reset my thermostat. I’m now back to homeostasis (not gaining not loosing) but now that’s on a 2500cal diet along with intermittent fasting ( i don’t eat breakfast)
    (FYI, I’m already a lean person so thoses weight changes would be even greater for someone with more to loose)

:grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The point is not to cut calories by an arbitrary amount, but to eat enough fat to give your body the energy it needs. Most people find that they reduce their caloric intake without even thinking about it, because fat is highly satisfying, and it’s very hard to overeat fat. If you’ve been watching Dr. Stephen Phinney’s lectures on YouTube or if you’ve read The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living, then you are probably already familiar with the story about the study participant who ended up eating around 3500 calories a day and still lost weight at the same rate as the other participants did.

(Ernest) #6

A sample of your typical day of eating would be helpful.

(Don) #7

Hi Ernest

Breakfast- half a medium avacado
Lunch - two egg spinach omelette
Dinner - rump steak with rocket (arugala)
Snacks - pork rind and biltong
Lots of green tea

(Ernest) #8

Yeah, I see the issue.
Do you really need to snack? If you’re snacking, your meals are not adequate.
Is the breakfast doing anything? Try skipping it and add the avocado to the steak dinner. Have the whole avocado.
Rump steak is on the lean side, have it with some compound butter.
Add an extra yolk to your omelette.

Hi Don- I’m relatively new to this. I’m not much of a cook. I was having a hard time getting my fat macros high enough. I decided to use extra Virginia olive oil to bump them up. I take two tablespoons in the morning and two in the evening; before my breakfast and dinner. This gives me an extra 400+ calories per day and I believe essentially all good monounsaturated fats. I feel like this helped me balance out my macros, and this has contributed to weight loss and correction of my metabolic parameters. Doing this also seemed to increase my satiety and let me worry less about calorie counts. I just noticed I was more full on the same or less amount of food. Again- I’m still learning- so this is meant to be a practical suggestion, that seemed to help me. Take it for what it is worth and we’ll see if any more experienced ketoers see a downside to this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You can increase your fat intake by mixing your avocado with cream cheese or mayonnaise. Have bacon with lunch, and fry the eggs in the bacon grease–maybe add a pat of butter to the pan after taking the bacon out, for some lovely extra flavor. Put butter on the steak and chunky blue cheese dressing on the rocket. For a snack, try a piece of cheddar or brie with some butter on it. There are lots of great keto Web sites with delicious recipes, so you don’t have to eat the same thing all the time, and they have great suggestions for how to sneak fat into your meals so you can be sure to get enough.

I would be hungry if I ate your sample day.

(Don) #12

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the input that all sounds lovely! Guess I’m adjusting to the high fat as it’s gone against my usual ethos of dieting. I’m feeling full after meals and don’t seem to be hungry but guess I can try to add these things.
Thanks
Don

(Don) #13

Hi Ernest

The only reason I’ve been snacking is because a friend told me that eating snacks in between meals can help with metabolism? I also thought eating breakfast was a good way to start your body’s system although as I said I’m a newbie to all this so appreciate all the advice.

Thanks
Don

(Ernest) #14

OK BUT look at it this way. When you’re snacking are you actually hungry at all?
The major advantage of Keto is that insulin is kept in check.
Protein does cause some insulin secretion. So the less meals you eat in a day, the less insulin is secreted. That means more time in fat burning mode.
Your snacks are mostly protein, not ideal
Secondly, you don’t have to eat upon waking up. If you’re not hungry in the morning, go ahead with your day and make your first meal whenever you are hungry.

Eat a good size meal, whenever you’re truly hungry, forgo the snacking. Don’t stress over calories and macros but do keep in mind that on Keto is fat king.

If I’m wrong on any of my explanation, fellow 2KDs, please correct me. I tried to keep it basic.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Always remember that FAT is your FRIEND, not the Enemy.
Carbs, 20 grams
Protein, moderate
Fat, to satiety. Don’t just add it in to reach a certain cal. amount, just eat enough that you are not hungry between meals.

Read this postiing:

Oh and listen to as many 2ketodudes podcast as you can. Go back and relisten to ones that are on topics that relate to your issues.

Life will be good, very good. All the best on your Journey.

(VLC.MD) #16

Dr.Fung says eating more meals makes you fat.

The idea of losing weight while eating more meals is wrong on so many levels.

Snacking makes you fat.

The best weight loss method isn’t 5 small meals a day, it zero meals a day.

Three meals a day is bad for you and purely socially contrived.

Who in society wants you to eat more meals … and why do they want that ?

#ShouldBeIllegal