About recommending electrolytes

I didn’t end up so badly, but a couple of weeks ago, I felt the ‘need’ for more potassium, so I used that LiteSalt regularly for a couple of days.

I was due for labs soon after, and my endo mentioned my high potassium (it’s usually right in range) and suggested I avoid ‘potassium rich’ foods for a while. I didn’t mention the LiteSalt but quickly put it away in the cupboard when I got home.

(Ellie Baum) #3

So glad you’re ok!!

(Duncan Kerridge) #4

Yes you have to be careful with potassium, I overdid it myself at the start once and had a teaspoon of lite salt in some broth (I forgot I had already it some in) and had a racing heart for the next 30 minutes. I’ve learnt that if I notice I’m becoming irritable or my mood drops I probably need some so only take it occasionally now instead of every day.

(Ross Daniel) #5

I take 99mg every morning if I’m going to fast. If not, I don’t typically take any because I eat at least 2 eggs every morning and they have potassium in them.

Yes, I see crazy potassium things happening sometimes. One problem is that most people have no idea how much they are getting from their food, and then supplement on top of that. Or they take a large single dose. Or take it out of balance with sodium.

I only add a little bit (like 1/8 tsp) to my water when I’m fasting. Otherwise, I just use pink salt and food. Extra sodium will get eliminated before your kidneys start dumping potassium to get balance back when you have too little sodium.

Also, drinking a lot of plain water without sodium can lead to dangerous electrolyte depletion or even hyponatremia.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Good point.
I no doubt get plenty of potassium in foods, as I eat a lot of red meat, avocados, greens, and even dark chocolate.
I usually limit my ketoaide to 1/4 tsp Lite Salt in 24 ounces of water and drink one a day. 2 to 3 if fasting.

I think I will limit to 2 bottles a day from now on. Even when fasting. And start warning about the potassium in the Lite Salt.
There was one time several months ago that I ate 1/4 teaspoon straight up and felt pretty sick afterwards so I never did that again. I’ve always wondered if it was the potassium. I was suspicious. Pretty sure now that it was. Thank you for this, I’ve been meaning to check into it. :heart:

What is the recommended daily intake of potassium?

Recommended Daily Allowances. Adults over the age of 19, adolescents between 14 and 18 years old and pregnant women should consume 4,700 milligrams of potassium each day, says the Food and Nutrition Board. Nursing women over the age of 14 need more: 5,100 milligrams daily.

Lite Salt has 350 mg per 1/4 teaspoon. Pretty safe if you don’t eat a WHOLE teaspoon all at once.

But like @carolT said, if we add Lite Salt to our diet along with many potassium rich foods, we can easily overdo our potassium intake.

I went and read the r/keto post. In the body, he changed his original statement of taking 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons. He ingested over 8.4 g of potassium! He is also Type 1 Diabetic with possible Addison’s disease, so he has several complications. Most say that 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of lite-salt a couple of times a day is ok. Let’s learn from his story but not throw the baby out with the bathwater!

(Ellie Baum) #9

@daon where does it say he was actually using 2tbsp? I didn’t see that but I don’t doubt you. He did edit his post to say that lite salt is a tool and he abused it.

I agree that we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Which is why I was debating so long before posting this. But I also think some people don’t see any danger in having more lite salt. That more always equals better. I think people should know that that is not true. And I really don’t want something to happen to any members of our community.

(What The Fast?!) #10

Good to know. I’ve been pretty tired/lethargic feeling recently and couldn’t figure out why. I’ll lay off the potassium supplements.

(Kristin Rogers) #11

I can’t remember where I heard it - I think Fasting Talk - but if you get enough sodium, your body does a good job of holding on to the other electrolytes. I am inclined to supplement magnesium still, but I wouldn’t worry about the potassium.
And my daughter poured all my lite salt all over the kitchen counters, so I guess I’m going to stick with my regular salt…

I did get a little concerned about iodine after reading The Salt Fix, so I’m putting a little Morton’s back in the mix (and a thyroid supplement with iodine- I have hypo)

Also, geez – 2 TABLESPOONS

@Ellie_Baum Here is the copied text (you can search it) and his reply…

In the original post, OP said that he took ~2 TEAspoons and later changed his estimate to 2+ TABLEspoons (OR 6+ TEAspoons.)

His reply: I concur. As stated around this thread, I don’t truly know how much I took. I’ve estimated the math to work out to be roughly one metric fuck ton, which works out to be an imperial shit load.

Basically, it was much more than the 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon most suggest! I’m very happy you posted this to allow all of us to become aware of potassium OD.

I used to use Lite Salt all the time in my cooking until my doc told me a blood test showed my potassium was quite high. He said that was really rare and I should eat more plain salt. Never had a doctor tell me to increase my sodium before!

I cut way back on the Lite stuff and my next test was normal. Lesson learned.

I also separate my potassium salt from other salts by using NoSalt, which is pure fucking potassium. That way, I don’t take any at all unless I have good reason to do so.

(Mary Ann) #15

I appreciate this thread. I find myself wondering if my salt intake is correct. I upped my salt (and salt supplements) and felt better after starting keto months ago. I also switched to Himalayan salt. But I worry about too much potassium because I’m taking a magnesium, potassium, and calcium supplement. I’m almost zero carb so I’m assuming most of my potassium is coming from eggs/meat vice avocados and nuts.

It almost seems like too much or too little electrolytes have similar symptoms. (??) Do you up them or down them? I gues it depends.

Yes, too much of one or too little of another will give similar effect. Balance sodium with potassium, calcium with magnesium. Not the same amount of each, but a correct balance for the individual.

I know that my symptoms for too little magesium and/or too much calcium (stupid added calcium in almond milk) are foot or calf cramps at night.
Too little sodium gives me a headache at the base of my skull in the morning or makes me tired during exercise.
Too much potassium makes my blood pressure drop and makes me light-headed on standing. Can also cause me palpitations if I really screw it up.
Too much of either salt in my water can cause water to rush into my gut and have a laxative effect.
Too much magnesium oxide also has a laxative effect. I prefer mag glycinate.

(Mary Ann) #17

Thank you. These descriptions helped me.

(Justine Boston) #18

Hi Brenda.
So the 1/4 teaspoon of lite salt I’m 24 oz of water is all you do for electrolytes?
Trying to figure out something not too complicated. Thanks! Justine

(Justine Boston) #19

(In not I’m) :grinning:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

I do this:

(Jim Russell) #21

I have cut back on the lite salt and added some real salt. I’ve seen good results from that. But I was seeing good results with the lite salt amount that Brenda recommends. It just seems to me that excess potassium can be pretty dangerous. Heart palpitations are scary.