Ability to use fat as fuel for endurance sports

(Erin Macfarland ) #21

Yeah I realized after the fact I didn’t specify per pound :grinning:

(Peter Barney) #22

When first going Keto my running lost 15 to 20 sec a km in pace and felt i lost a gear in my 5kms. But as ive continued to train im back on pace and have no worries running my 20km and 30km routes on just water and when doing them fasted just the slightest loss in pace.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #25

This is from today’s, well yesterday’s podcast of The Ketogenic Athlete, an interview with Peter Defty. Very good interview and insightful.

The availabilty rate from bodyfat is during an extended fast, when all intermediate reservoirs of energy have been depleted. What most people refer to as “fasted state” exercise translates as “before my first meal of the day”. So there’s a couple of days worth of energy available before getting to the rate limit from bodyfat.

(Erin Macfarland ) #27

That makes much more sense, thank you! Wow, so much good info here…

(ianrobo) #28

Fascinating exchange on twitter between a SA sports scientist and Vaughters who owns the pro team Slipstream-Cannodale

part of this -

onathan Vaughters @Vaughters
17m
@JeroenSwart an anecdotal observation from racing in 90s, that riders who trained large volume+carb restricted, benefited greater.

but then he says

onathan Vaughters @Vaughters
53s
@JeroenSwart Having now coached a few riders that were previously on CHO restricted type training regimes, it hurts glycolytic power a lot.

interesting debate …

(Erin Macfarland ) #29

Great episode! Just listened, very helpful for people who aren’t necessarily using keto for reversal of disease.

(Peter Barney) #30

Great podcast. The only spikes I get in blood sugar nowadays is on my fast 5km runs when I’m going flat out where it goes flying up but after 15 mins it slams right back to normal.

(ianrobo) #31

no surprise on what would be a VO2Max effort ? the body would release the glucose to be used in that instance.

(Peter Barney) #32

For sure, that’s the process I had to improve with my training to get back to full pace after going keto. It amazes me how quickly it switches off and the blood glucose slams back down to normal.

http://www.vespapower.com/

Peter Defty is the expert in this field with many elite athletes following his regime. 2016 world female triathlete is one of them I’m sure.

Anyone interested in Vespa may enjoy this post too:

(ianrobo) #35

I am sure Mods won’t mind but Peter on a thread in Ketogenic athlete expands more, one in which I contributed and so did Brian Williamson,

(Becky Bataller Naughton) #36

Very interesting thread… I’ve been playing around with my diet over the last year and have also begun doing more intense and longer obstacle course races (think Spartan-type). I understand the concept of how Keto can help an athlete utilize their own fat stores during a long, high-intensity event, but am not quite sure how to apply this to myself. I’ve done most of my races using a more Paleo/Primal approach, but I have a long (8+ hr) race in a month that I want to see if I can go Keto for. Do I have enough time between now and then to go full Keto and get the benefits? The nice thing about the race I’ll be doing, it is that it will be based on how many loops of the course I can do in 8 hrs, so if needed, I can always grab a snack at the warming hut along the way.

(Becky Bataller Naughton) #37

Thanks for the link… I’ll have to start listening to this podcast.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #38

@Becky_Bataller_Naugh it’s been very helpful to me and I love the podcast. You’re quite welcome!

(ianrobo) #39

anything Peter has to say if you are seriously interested in endurance sports must be listened to

(Genevieve Biggs) #40

I’ve been reading through an old forum exchange with The Bear, veteran and pioneer ketoer and Zero Carber. At the time of exchange he ate only meat (and eggs, etc.) for 47 years. He contends that the skeletal muscle does not use glucose or glycogen, but only fat. The reason runners hit a wall because they are carb loaders whose bodies are not used to running on fat longterm. Quote:

"Glycogen is not depleted by exercise, period. The muscles ONLY use free fatty acids complexed with n-acetylcarnitine to provide the energy to reverse ADP to ATP, no carbs are consumed in this process, either as glucose or as glycogen.

The famous ‘wall’ hit by runners etc., indicates a problem in mobilising bodyfat in a carb-loading individual once dietary circulating fat is consumed. It does not occur in a keto-adapted meat eater."

(ianrobo) #41

thats true because body is used to fat as energy not carbs but in that quote I am presuming he is not talking about the high periods of intense energy usage (HIIT, Zone 5 and above etc), in fact he is confirming the FASTER study that fat is used much further up the power/HR zones than used to be thought.

(Genevieve Biggs) #43

Just came across this: