A weird thing happened to me

(Patrick L Anderson) #1

Sorry if this gets a little gross but here it is. I’ve had chronic toenail fungus for decades. Both large toes have had think, yellow, stinky nails for as long as I can remember. Quite embarrassing during pool season. I’ve tried just about every OTC and home remedy out there with very little success. Now after a few weeks of starting keto, both have detached and fallen off leaving a smooth pink and shiny nail bed and I’m starting to get new nails growing in. I’m just curious if anyone else has seen this type of thing?

(Jason ) #2

Nope, I haven’t had the experience with this. That being said, with all of the other ‘unmentionables’ that have changed for me, it wouldn’t surprise me at all! I’m interested to see if anyone else has experienced this particular malady with the remedy.

(Diane) #3

I haven’t seen this, but maybe your immune system is responding positively to better control of your blood glucose levels?

(Susan) #4

It will be interesting to see if the new nails come in healthy and well! Keep us posted =-).

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Cool! Sounds like such a relief.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

It makes sense, because you are no longer feeding carbohydrate to the fungus. I’d wait a good long time before increasing dietary carbohydrate—if ever.

('Jackie P') #7

This might help @patricklfw :blush:

In the spirit of keto crotch and uncomfortable topics… I haven’t had a yeast infection since going keto-low glucose definitely keeps the fungus in check :wink:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

Hey now, I don’t know if anyone is more susceptible to fungus of any type, than I am ! Yes, I’ve had issues with my feet for most of my life… But wth ? I’m not even a Jock, and… Okay anyway, my feet seem much better, and I haven’t had any other types of fungi either. Seems at least possible that I won’t now either, thanks to keto :slightly_smiling_face: Only time will tell.

(Allie) #10

Keto often cures candida as it starves the yeast that causes it, could be the same thing?

(Bob M) #11

I have had toenail fungus for decades. I still have it, even with keto/near carnivore (5.5 years, too). I am currently using iodine to attempt to treat it. I have used basically every remedy known to man, other than drugs you ingest. For what I have, some things work OK, but there are side effects. Iodine seems to be working, but the toe nail grows so slowly, it’s hard to tell.

I’ll have to watch that Ken Berry video one day.

(traci simpson) #12

I have nail fungus on two toes (one on each foot) and I’ve tried everything, even a prescription. Still have it. KETO hasn’t been cured but I’m learning that it’s a long process.

(Bob M) #13

I’ve tried AC vinegar, Tea Tree Oil, Vick’s Vaporub, clear iodine (with DMSO), maybe more.

Vick’s works, but can irritate the skin. Tea Tree Oil kills my skin and causes blisters (need to dilute if you use it), though it does a number on the nail. AC vinegar does not do much.

I’m currently using clear iodine with a small amount of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) to help carry the iodine into the body. See:

It turns out using DMSO at 50% strength directly on the nail and skin seems to cause heart effects for me. So, I use a very dilute solution in a bottle of clear iodine (two drops 50% DMSO/bottle). And it’s a small amount of the entire solution on the nail. This might be working, it’s hard to tell, though my nail does seem thinner.

What’s odd about toe nail fungus is that it’s on one toe and no others. And it’s been there for as long as I can remember. I don’t know how that one toe got infected, but it does not seem to be easy to transfer to other nails. Or at least transfer hasn’t happened to me in 10+ years.

(traci simpson) #14

I’ve tried vinegar and olive oil which softens it and at least I can try to “scrape” it off! I’ve tried tea tree with olive oil as well but nothing.

Not exactly, but my hubby’s toenails changed color from yellowish to pinkish as they grew out. He didn’t go full keto, just cut out sugars and went less carbs.

(Bob M) #16

If you go to Earth Clinic, there are many recipes there for what you can do. Scraping/cutting does work, but the fungus resides deep in the nail bed. Somehow, you have to get it there, too, which is why DMSO might work, as it carries small substances, such as iodine, into the body.

I’ve seen anecdotal evidence of some people going keto or carnivore and having their fungus resolved. It may depend on the fungus, though. If it’s sugar-hungry, then you might affect it. But I’ve been doing this for years, fast regularly (many 4.5+ day fasts), eat basically meat, and still have fungus. And I’m using iodine on it.

(Retta Stephenson) #17

@patricklfw

Thanks to a hospital acquired resistant fungal infection while getting IV antibiotics for a week, I had it practically head to toe, especially toenails. Tried it ALL. Both OTC and Rx. Everything named here and then some. Including expensive probiotics/prebiotics, etc etc.

Finally hit on the following information. Took another year of persistence, but it’s finally FINALLY gone from my feet (and 98% everywhere else). My one lost big toenail is very slowly growing back normal colored. I now use the colloidal silver for all kinds of things, and it works great. You can buy some if wanted, but I got my own generator and with how much I’ve used, it’s paid for itself many times over!

And I was also on low carb then Keto, which I’m sure helped knock it back, but unfortunately was not enough on it’s own.

List of articles re colloidal silver and toenail fungus:

https://thesilveredge.com/?s=toenail+fungus

Some specific articles:

This info helped me so much, I hope someone else finds it useful.

Retta

(Art ) #18

This explains a lot. I am taking “thick, yellow, stinky toenails” out of my Tinder profile.

Signed,

The Brother from Another Planet

(about 1:19 in this video - slider is at the bottom)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22lzf4 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Luza Hazel) #19

Were you also trail running during this time? Perhaps a combination of exercise and keto.

What does your typical day of eating look like?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Welcome to the forums!

We certainly don’t mind when people post in old threads, but just be aware that we haven’t seen most of these posters in quite some time, so don’t be offended if none of them replies.