A typical "heart healthy" breakfast for diabetics

(April Harkness) #1

Get angry. https://youtu.be/PyP43NAVaiI

Food anxiety... anyone have this problem?

I hope when I have kids and get old, they won’t send me away to a nursing home to eat like that :nauseated_face: — :cut_of_meat::bacon::meat_on_bone::heart:

When my grandma was in the hospital before she passed away, they gave her a plate like that with “egg product”. It contained “milk ingredients” and she was severely allergic to milk. Boy, did that tick everybody off.

(Murphy Kismet) #3

I was pleasantly shocked to see an actual hard boiled egg on the tray of a friend who was in the hospital.

HARB BOILED EGG OMG!!!

It was like an archeological find of the century…actual food item on a hospital tray.

(April Harkness) #4

The “meat” products here are cut with soy and vital wheat gluten

I used to buy this liver pate that had all good ingredients, then they made the third ingredient soy protein. That was a sad, sad day. I bet if someone had problems with the soy or gluten in the meat, they would blame it on the meat. At least they give them meat and it’s not like that seventh day adventist retirement home where it’s mostly vegetarian.

My grandma ate steak, veggies and potatoes most her life then went into a retirement home. I wonder if the food they feed them has anything to do with wanting them to be in the home as little time as possible.

By the way, just wanted to say you have an amazing body while I’m in your comment section. Keep doing what you’re doing, your “I was told I’m a bad example” post food looked so good :wink:

wow, that’s soooo bad
:exploding_head:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

SAD :rage: Is that You April? :cowboy_hat_face:

(April Harkness) #9

Is the voice similar to this? https://youtu.be/SJYt2cMSs5o

Then yes.

(PJ) #10

When I was in the hospital years ago for a lung issue (related to gluten but I didn’t know that then), they gave me the diabetic tray, against my will. I wasn’t diabetic but I was huge and my cholesterol numbers were huge by those days’ standards.

I knew basic low-carb info then but wasn’t on it.

Just as the person left the tray and I was staring at it in horror, a man walked into my room at the side. I didn’t see him at first.

Oh my God, I breathed at the tray. Are they trying to KILL me?!

The man burst out laughing which made me realize he was there.

He was actually the cardiologist assigned me. He was in plain clothes so I wouldn’t have known he was a doctor.

He later at his office, wrote me an actual prescription that said *The Protein Power Life Plan book - read it" that ended up saving my life.

(Susan) #11

@April_Harkness

That Diabetic Breakfast and the other thread of the Diabetic Lunch are both just so terrible that they would serve that in a hospital, it really makes me sad, angry and horrified, all at once.

@RightNOW

That is really awesome, PJ. Did you ever see him after that to tell him that?

(PJ) #12

Yeah, in fact I saw him in a store in Joplin one day about a year later and we talked for a few minutes. Nice guy.

(Susan) #13

That is really great! It is reassuring to know that there are some really good doctors out there =).

(Ken) #14

Several years ago my mom went in for heart surgery. Her nutritional instructions for while she was in the hospital and afterwards shocked me. She had just begun to listen to me. Even now, several years later she won’t eat much fat. At least she’s eating low carb.